:( Can't do dolphins on our own.

hlb76

I just contacted Aquadventures place to see about swimming w/ the dolphins. There prices where great! But I found out we can not do it on our own. They have a contract w/ CCL saying that they are exculsive to cruise pax.

Anyone have any other ideas of fun things to do in PV?

We've only been to Vallarta once, and it was with our kids and grandkids (total of nine).

We booked a private boat with Johann & Sandra for Yelapa.

We fished, we snorkled, we visited the bird refuge, and we spent a great afternoon in Yelapa!

For 2 or 3 it would be expensive, for nine of us, it was a great time and inexpensive!

Oh....and the private boat was less than swimming with the dolphins for two!

Just my $0.02

We've only been to Vallarta once, and it was with our kids and grandkids (total of nine).

We booked a private boat with Johann & Sandra for Yelapa.

We fished, we snorkled, we visited the bird refuge, and we spent a great afternoon in Yelapa!

For 2 or 3 it would be expensive, for nine of us, it was a great time and inexpensive!

Oh....and the private boat was less than swimming with the dolphins for two!

Just my $0.02

You can get a water taxi in PV to Yelapa for about 20 dollars round trip. If interested, check the schedule and see if it works with your time in PV. I found it by searching for Yelapa water taxi.

Also, search for swim with dolphins Puerto Vallarta. I saw three different companies advertising the service.

We did the dolphin swim at the park in 2009. they must have changed their policy. We had booked online, took a taxi over on our own, had a great day and dolphin swim, took taxi back. They diidn't ask if we were on the ship or not - just booked online. That's too bad if they only offer it to Carnival now.

We are going to PV in January, have been 3x before - our family (2 kids) has done the malecon, shopping, etc., but this time we found an all inclusive hotel we are going to walk to and buy day passes, play on the beach and in the pool.

Why not do it thru the ship? I did the excursion thru the ship and the prices in Cabo were actually almost the same as if I booked direct. At least it was for Cabo Dolphins. I could have saved $7/pp by prepaying online direct and just lying about the hotel I was staying at but I figured the $7 was insurance in case anything happened & the ship didn't make it to port. Case in point, the recent Splendor fire prevented this ship from making it to Cabo so by booking thru CCL, my money would have been refunded but booking direct I would have lost out. Just a thought. I personally book my excursions thru the ship.

I booked our swim with the dolphins through Johann and Sandra.

http://www.puertovallartatours.net/swim-with-dolphins.htm

I am interested in booking thru Johann and Sandra. Did you take a taxi to the Dolphin Center? Do you remember how far it was ( how long it took to get there ) and how much it cost? Was it pretty easy to do on your own? Did you get return transportation from Johann and Sandra?

Thanks....

We could book through the ship. I just personally don't like too. I have found booking privately gives me a more one on one experience vs being herded like cattle. Plus its about $30+ more a person through the CCL. I know this now includes transportation but and extra $120 for my family makes this tour out of budget for us.:(

Keep in mind, that by doing it on your own, you run the risk of not making the tour on time, especially in Puerto Vallarta due to the traffic tie-ups since the bridge is being reconstructed.

If you book with the ship (which includes transport- and there is NO difference in the physical dolphin swims) they will get you there and honeor your tour even if you are late.

If you try to book on your own, chances are there are not times available as both dolphins centers typically give ALL available time slots to the cruise ships so that the passengers CAN take the tour (Not sold out to tourists here for a longer period.)

We booked thru Johann and Sandra and they advised us about the bridge and told us to allow extra time to get to the Dolphin Center. They said at least 45 minutes now. Also they said to make sure when we get off the ship, to ask a local what time it was to make sure that the ship didn't give us wrong information. ( the ship time will PROBABLY be an hour behind PV time ).

Archived