Part 1 - Zuiderdam Sunfarer NOV 13-23

AZNative2000

This was our second cruise, both aboard Zuiderdam. (First was Alaska June 2010) We stayed in the same aft corner-wrap suite occupied by Colleyberry in September and she had left a note and an old-style soda card hidden in the room. We found them both and it was a nice way to feel connected to another CruiseCritic-er who enjoyed this cabin as much as we did. Thanks CB.

When we left Arizona on November 12 and flew to Ft. Lauderdale, we found ourselves seated behind another “roll call” member which made for an extra-early meet + greet. Our “pre” night was spent at the Sleep Inn, conveniently next door to a Walgreen’s and across from a Publix (perfect for buying sodas, water, and wine).

Day 1 (11-13): The 11:15am shuttle from the hotel lasted just ten minutes before we stepped out at the cruise terminal. After tipping the porter for extra careful handling of the luggage because one contained bottles, we stepped into the line to board. About five minutes later we reached the point where suite passengers were directed down a very short line to the check-in counter. Very soon we were stepping onto the Zuiderdam. Golly, she looked just the same as in June.:)

After a quick visit to the Neptune Lounge so we could meet the concierge(s) and leave our carry-ons, we strolled off to the MDR for our “embarkation lunch”. At the door, we were re-directed to the Lido as the MDR was not open. “Cleaning up” we were told.

As expected, the Lido servers were handling all the plates with gloved hands and it seemed to be the normal “code orange” situation. But it was early enough that the place was not overly crowded.

After our lunch and taking photos of the other ships in port (someone has already posted a photo showing the Noordam, Eurodam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam, and Oasis of the Seas together), we chose to go see if our cabin was ready, even though it was not quite 1pm. IT WAS!

Stepping into 5191 for the first time, the roses, chocolate-dipped strawberries, and soda card I’d ordered were all on display. But I sped right through to the balcony. The balcony was the reason we selected this cabin. From this platform we would stare down into the locks of the Panama Canal and it wouldn’t matter if it was pouring rain because this verandah is completely covered. Bigger than I could tell from photos, I knew we had made the right choice.

As we settled in to wait for our luggage and the lifeboat drill, DW got her book and stretched out on one of the balcony lounges. I started taking pictures. We were both so glad we were not aboard the “Oasis” and that our time spent stern to stern with her was limited because the volume of the announcements coming across the water was deafening and continuous. Even after retreating inside, we could hear them as if on their deck. I enjoyed taking photos as she sailed away.

After the lifeboat drill, our luggage had arrived and we got mostly unpacked prior to sailaway. In addition to three closets in the dressing area (claimed immediately by DW:)) there were three more in the wall next to the bed. Golly, we hadn’t brought enough to fill them all:D. The room also had many cupboards in addition to the drawers under the bed and in the dressing area.

Immediately upon leaving the ship channel and entering the ocean, we knew the ride was not going to be as smooth as it had been in Alaska. Out came the ginger, wrist bands, and tums. We began to wonder how much fun this cruise would really be.

By next morning, the sea had calmed a bit and we were developing sea legs. Eventually, we would find out from crewmembers that our cruise was a bit rougher than most, even having a few hours (later in the cruise) of stashing anything breakable and adventures in walking down the hall, yet each day it became easier to live with. We had been concerned about cruising transatlantic but were told by one of the officers that it would be less rough (most likely) than this.

By the end of the ten days, we had put all our seasick meds (etc) away and our anticipation of our next cruises grew. The roughest it got was 10-12 foot seas and a heavy wind from the starboard side that made the ship rock side to side. Yet, we had no problems (other than walking). We would both go again tomorrow even with the same sea conditions.

Day 2: First stop was Half Moon Cay. For this first timer, it was wonderful. The water was calm and bluer than blue. We had reserved a “clamshell, and it was all we needed. Since the ship was only there from 8am to 3pm, we didn’t set foot on the island until almost 9am. We planned a max of three hours in the tropical sun and by noon we were ready to tender back.

Sharing the island with the Noordam did not make the beach overcrowded at all. Maybe everyone slept in. I heard that some found the water too cold to swim but we Arizonans found it perfect. Many others did too.

The evening Vista show was “The jazzy and sassy vocals” of a singer named Suzi Woods. We’d give it an 8.

Day 3: The highlights of our first sea day included our CC Meet and Greet. Sadly, while almost 30 had signed up, only half that number attended. I will remember for any future M+Gs to tell HAL half the number. We did meet many wonderful fellow-cruisers and the time just flew by.

After drifting by to listen to the string quartet for awhile, our first “Formal Night” was spent at the Pinnacle Grill. (Most everyone in the PG was quite formally attired. I wore a black suit with black shirt and white tie. DW wore a very nice LBD.) The staff there was wonderful and featured a different maitre de than when we sailed in June. Raymond not only seated us, but checked with us more than once each time we were in the Pinnacle to make sure everything was perfect. The only problem was that, at 16-18 ounces, the rib-eyes we ordered were just too darn big. (I never thought I would ever be able to say that about a rib-eye.)

Day 4: Sailing into Aruba.

This was the first morning we could go to the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast, something we had been looking forward to since our last cruise. The quiet ambiance and attentive service did not disappoint. I could sit for hours watching the sea eating those currant rolls while my coffee cup is refilled endlessly.

We had originally planned nothing but beaching for Aruba but had booked the Atlantis Submarine on board. While the ride to and from the sub was fun and fast (which meant a cool breeze) the sub ride itself was a bit of a letdown. The crew was friendly and all but the only things we saw during our dive to over 100 feet were a few fish, an eel, and a purposely-sunken ship about the size of a tender. So, it is not something I would do again.

The late departure allowed time for shopping and exploring but we ended up eating back on the ship. We had room service bring dinner to our balcony and opened a bottle of our wine. It was a nice evening watching the lights of Oranjestad.

END PART 1 ...

After drifting by to listen to the string quartet for awhile, our first “Formal Night” was spent at the Pinnacle Grill. (Most everyone in the PG was quite formally attired. I wore a black suit with black shirt and white tie. DW wore a very nice LBD.) The staff there was wonderful and featured a different maitre de than when we sailed in June. Raymond not only seated us, but checked with us more than once each time we were in the Pinnacle to make sure everything was perfect. The only problem was that, at 16-18 ounces, the rib-eyes we ordered were just too darn big. (I never thought I would ever be able to say that about a rib-eye.)

This is good news for those of us who also shared the June Zuiderdam PG disappointments -- there was something wrong with the staff down to the food and an air of hostility between those running the place and those consigned to serving. Something needed to change. Thanks for the report.

It sounds like a great improvement.

Sharing the island with the Noordam did not make the beach overcrowded at all. Maybe everyone slept in. I heard that some found the water too cold to swim but we Arizonans found it perfect. Many others did too.

Glad to hear that HMC was not crowded sharing it with the Noordam. Everytime I have been there it has only been one ship. We are headed there next week on the Zuidy, can't wait for the rest of your review

By posting here, I'm now subscribed to both parts of your review. :) Please keep it up!

After just one occupation, I consider Zuiderdam portside 5190 to be MY cabin, so you and Colleen can share 5191 ownership. :D

As I've posted here (repeatedly :() I had to cancel my Zuiderdam canal cruise, and I'm both green with envy and hanging on the edge of my seat for the vicarious thrills.

How typically sweet of Colleyberry to leave you a note/memento.

By posting here, I'm now subscribed to both parts of your review. :) Please keep it up!

After just one occupation, I consider Zuiderdam portside 5190 to be MY cabin, so you and Colleen can share 5191 ownership. :D

As I've posted here (repeatedly :() I had to cancel my Zuiderdam canal cruise, and I'm both green with envy and hanging on the edge of my seat for the vicarious thrills.

How typically sweet of Colleyberry to leave you a note/memento.

Thanks. I will try to get the rest done by tomorrow.

It sounds as though you had a wonderful cruise, thank you for sharing your review with us!

Fann1sh, I hope you don't mind loaning your cabin to us in May, I can't wait! ;)

Hi Sailkeywest... orginally left the note for you ..but had my cabins mixed up :o Told AZNative to look for it and the message was for them as well....Just know I wish you a fabulous cruise and I'm sure Patricia doesn't mind sharing ..it's just nice to know a CCer is enjoying that wonderful space:)

Hi Sailkeywest... orginally left the note for you ..but had my cabins mixed up :o Told AZNative to look for it and the message was for them as well....Just know I wish you a fabulous cruise and I'm sure Patricia doesn't mind sharing ..it's just nice to know a CCer is enjoying that wonderful space:)

I think that I remember you saying something like that, very nice of you to think of it! I just hope the cabin is as wonderful as you and AZnative describe them to be!

I'm sure Patricia doesn't mind sharing ..it's just nice to know a CCer is enjoying that wonderful space:)

I certainly don't :) mind. It seems for some, once you've experienced a wake-watching-cabin, it becomes "home away from home".

Sailkeywest, I'm sure you'll be just as happy as the rest of us.

Just a note about Meet 'n' Greets. I have been to some where out of 157 people signed up, TWO showed. BUT I have also been to some where every person showed up. So you can only go by what should happen, without second guessing. On one cruise, not only all showed, but we had a M&G every day of the 15 day cruise. We met after lunch and discussed all that happened and what we were going to do. We all did group excursions together. So a lot of like minds on that cruise.

On another, Princess, I think Barb and I were the only Americans in the M&G, but the Brits and Scots that outnumbered us were terrific. I just wish I understood what the Scots were saying.:D

Some M&G's are great, some, not so much.

Archived