HELP! with Itinerary Choice

RicardoC

Hey everyone how are you? hope your Thanksgiving was perfect!

We're interesting in doing a cruise for Spring Break but came across two itineraries on different lines (both new for us) that each have its' own especials so please If you could help us we'd be thankful...

COSTA PACIFICA

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy --- 7:00 p.m.

2 Savona (Genoa), Italy 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

3 At Sea --- ---

4 Katakolon (Olympia), Greece 1:00 p.m. 6:00 p.m.

5 Piraeus (Athens), Greece 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

6 Izmir, Turkey 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

7 At Sea --- ---

8 Ashdod (Jerusalem), Israel 7:00 a.m. 8:00 p.m.

9 Port Said, Egypt 7:00 a.m. 9:30 a.m.

9 Alexandria (Cairo), Egypt 7:30 p.m. 9:00 p.m.

10 At Sea --- ---

11 At Sea --- ---

12 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy 8:00 a.m. ---

or MSC MAGNIFICA

1 Venice, Italy --- 4:00 p.m.

2 Bari, Italy 1:00 p.m. 6:00 p.m.

3 At Sea --- ---

4 Rhodes, Greece 8:00 a.m. 2:00 p.m.

5 Alexandria (Cairo), Egypt 8:30 a.m. 9:30 p.m.

6 At Sea --- ---

7 Katakolon (Olympia), Greece 9:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m.

8 Dubrovnik, Croatia 9:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m.

9 Venice, Italy 9:00 a.m. ---

I forgot to add our dilemma at the moment...hahaha....we've been to Athens and Rome as well as Kusadasi which is close to Izmir so 3 of the stops on the PACIFICA wont be new on the other side it goes to Israel.....the MSC goes to all new places for us but instead of Israel goes to Croatia(which also looks amazing)...it also sails from Venice which we havent been to and is shorter so would enable us to spend a couple days in Venice and even other city as well after the cruise while the other would be only the cruise....

Hi Ricardo, I haven't sailed with either of these companies, but looking at the itinerary and since you asked for my opinion:D here goes: I think I would chose Magnifica only because like you, I've already been to Athens, Kusadasa and Rome. I've also been to Venice and would suggest if at all possible that you plan at least one day pre-cruise in Venice....it's truly beautiful. Also, the Pacifica doesn't give you much time in Alexandria and there is much to see there. Magnifica gives you a full day and you will probably have an option to see the pyramids. This will be a very full day as the trip to Cairo takes about 3 hours on a good day! Since I've been to Cairo and Alexandria as well, I would almost suggest spending the day in Alexandria but then you don't want to miss the pyramids either. Olympia was wonderful as is Rhodes. FYI, if you're looking to save a little money, don't take the shore excursion on Rhodes...the ship will dock right in the old city or provide a shuttle if it docks further out and everything to see is pretty much right there. The museum is not to be missed, some of the most beautiful mosaics I've ever seen. As for Dubrovnik....it's exquisite. So, the only thing the Pacifica is offering is Israel, which is a big one I admit, but I think you'd get better value on the Magnifica because you'll be doing to more new places. :D

Hey everyone how are you? hope your Thanksgiving was perfect!

We're interesting in doing a cruise for Spring Break but came across two itineraries on different lines (both new for us) that each have its' own especials so please If you could help us we'd be thankful...

COSTA PACIFICA

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy --- 7:00 p.m.

2 Savona (Genoa), Italy 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

3 At Sea --- ---

4 Katakolon (Olympia), Greece 1:00 p.m. 6:00 p.m.

5 Piraeus (Athens), Greece 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

6 Izmir, Turkey 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

7 At Sea --- ---

8 Ashdod (Jerusalem), Israel 7:00 a.m. 8:00 p.m.

9 Port Said, Egypt 7:00 a.m. 9:30 a.m.

9 Alexandria (Cairo), Egypt 7:30 p.m. 9:00 p.m.

10 At Sea --- ---

11 At Sea --- ---

12 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy 8:00 a.m. ---

or MSC MAGNIFICA

1 Venice, Italy --- 4:00 p.m.

2 Bari, Italy 1:00 p.m. 6:00 p.m.

3 At Sea --- ---

4 Rhodes, Greece 8:00 a.m. 2:00 p.m.

5 Alexandria (Cairo), Egypt 8:30 a.m. 9:30 p.m.

6 At Sea --- ---

7 Katakolon (Olympia), Greece 9:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m.

8 Dubrovnik, Croatia 9:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m.

9 Venice, Italy 9:00 a.m. ---

I say the first one, otherwise we won't be able to host you here in Israel...

Also, if you are interesting in Egypt this gives you an opertunity for an overnight tour there.

Hi Ricardo, I haven't sailed with either of these companies, but looking at the itinerary and since you asked for my opinion:D here goes: I think I would chose Magnifica only because like you, I've already been to Athens, Kusadasa and Rome. I've also been to Venice and would suggest if at all possible that you plan at least one day pre-cruise in Venice....it's truly beautiful. Also, the Pacifica doesn't give you much time in Alexandria and there is much to see there. Magnifica gives you a full day and you will probably have an option to see the pyramids. This will be a very full day as the trip to Cairo takes about 3 hours on a good day! Since I've been to Cairo and Alexandria as well, I would almost suggest spending the day in Alexandria but then you don't want to miss the pyramids either. Olympia was wonderful as is Rhodes. FYI, if you're looking to save a little money, don't take the shore excursion on Rhodes...the ship will dock right in the old city or provide a shuttle if it docks further out and everything to see is pretty much right there. The museum is not to be missed, some of the most beautiful mosaics I've ever seen. As for Dubrovnik....it's exquisite. So, the only thing the Pacifica is offering is Israel, which is a big one I admit, but I think you'd get better value on the Magnifica because you'll be doing to more new places. :D

Thank you very much for the help! You seem to be an expert in the med!:D Yes I've been leaning towards the Magnifica on the past few days but haven't decided....more time in Cairo would do good and of course I NEED to see the pyramids! On the other side Israel would be a good one since my grandfather was born there....but Venice is a big one too....this is driving me crazy!!! hahahaah One thing I'm in doubt about the one you chose is about Bari, Italy....have you been there?

I say the first one, otherwise we won't be able to host you here in Israel...

Also, if you are interesting in Egypt this gives you an opertunity for an overnight tour there.

Yes I'd love to visit Israel since my grandfather was born there! The only thing you pointed and I had not seen before is both ports in Egypt in the same day....how come we stay very few (almost no) hours for both!? Is this normal or just an error from the website? I'll call costa to check....if they're in different days can we fly independently to Cairo and spend the night there and then re-board the ship next day?

Thank you very much for the help! You seem to be an expert in the med!:D Yes I've been leaning towards the Magnifica on the past few days but haven't decided....more time in Cairo would do good and of course I NEED to see the pyramids! On the other side Israel would be a good one since my grandfather was born there....but Venice is a big one too....this is driving me crazy!!! hahahaah One thing I'm in doubt about the one you chose is about Bari, Italy....have you been there?

Sorry, no I haven't been to Bari. DH's family is from Avellino (outside of Naples) so we've been mostly in the central and northern part of Italy. If you google Bari, you will find pictures and reviews that will help you decide. You should check about the time Pacifica spends in Alexandria....it doesn't sound right, since most of the cruise companies offer a shore excursion to Cairo. As I said, this will be a long day and you won't see much except the pyramids. For your age, you've traveled extensively, so I'm going to suggest that you spend the day in Alexandria and plan a separate trip to Egypt....there is so much to see there that it should be a trip of it's own. I haven't been to Israel, but I would imagine the same to be true there, especially if you have family that's still there. FYI: your quote is by Hilary Cooper and I believe she was/is an educator! It's one of my favorite quotes! :)

So, Ricardo....have you decided yet? :D

Hahahaha I see you are really apprehensive about it :p

Actually we have and haven't :D....I mean we all are very interested at the MSC (especially my dad) and now just waiting for our TA's response with prices fro both cruise and airline tickets....a good thing is we are thinking about flying Lufthansa nonstop from Orlando to Frankfurt and Venice so can visit Frankfurt on our way back :)

Half the fun is in the planning! Lufthansa is our airline of choice, except for the airport in Frankfort it's positively huge....when we changed planes there for Brussels, I thought we were walking across Germany! Whichever trip you finally choose, it will be wonderful. Enjoy.

Half the fun is in the planning! Lufthansa is our airline of choice, except for the airport in Frankfort it's positively huge....when we changed planes there for Brussels, I thought we were walking across Germany! Whichever trip you finally choose, it will be wonderful. Enjoy.

That's good to hear! Never flew with them and really want to....we always fly Delta or AA to Europe and of course European carriers for flights in there....it's going to be different to go non-stop right here from home to Europe :) Still waiting for the TA's response....starting to get worried about it :p

Thanks for the good wishes....it will....especially that I'm taking the SAT in January/March so it's going to be my relaxing trip :cool:

Ricardo: One tip to hit your TA with: If you have to change planes in Frankfort make sure they give you AT LEAST ONE HOUR to make the change. When coming from the US and changing to another plane you have to transfer from the international arrivals to the domestic departure terminals and I wasn't kidding when I said Frankfort is enormous. It's not unreasonable to expect to spend 1/2 hour just getting from one terminal to the other and then you have to go through security again. I'm telling you this because when using international carriers they all seem to think 45 minutes is plenty of time.:D Good luck with the SAT's.

Ricardo: One tip to hit your TA with: If you have to change planes in Frankfort make sure they give you AT LEAST ONE HOUR to make the change. When coming from the US and changing to another plane you have to transfer from the international arrivals to the domestic departure terminals and I wasn't kidding when I said Frankfort is enormous. It's not unreasonable to expect to spend 1/2 hour just getting from one terminal to the other and then you have to go through security again. I'm telling you this because when using international carriers they all seem to think 45 minutes is plenty of time.:D Good luck with the SAT's.

Thanks! Yes I did a brief research and we might have to fly a day earlier due to that....better than miss the flight and then the ship :eek: We want to spend the days in Venice and maybe Frankfurt after the cruise because the day you get in Europe from the US is always really tired due to jetleg so this time we all agreed the best would be to go from the airport to the ship and relax but I guess we'll need to fly a day earlier....

Archived