St Marten-Blue Diamonds/Emeralds?Help!

slyfox0113

We have purchased many items from Boolchands, which has a store at the pier and on Front St. This last visit in October, I took the diamond tennis bracelet I had bought at another Boolchands years ago and the original receipt with us with the intention of trading it in for a nicer one. Not only did he give me a good price on the new bracelet, then he proceded to give me additional credit for the entire amount I had paid for the older bracelet seven years ago. We have also bought many electronic items at many different Boolchands locations, all at a good price.

Going to St Marten in May and need some info from those you who have purchased jewelry. Who is reputable? Tell me about your experiences.

We have purchased blue, chocolate, and most recently 'cognac' colored diamonds from Shiva's on Front Street.

This is from an earlier post that I made here:

All regular SXM visitors will have their favorite jewelers. I have to recommend our favorite shop; Shiva’s/Trident on Front Street, (and also in Aruba), who have the distinction of being one of only two Caribbean members of the Leading Jewelers of the World organization.

There is one member in St. Thomas, Magnum Jewelers, and then the Alwani Family's Shiva's/Trident stores in St. Maarten and Aruba.

We've been visiting St. Maarten since 1981, and dealing with the Alwani family, which owns both Shiva's and Trident, across from each other on Front Street, for well over 15 years. We really appreciate their attention, the selection and the great prices. They specialize in upscale pieces and larger diamonds, but have a great overall selection, especially in nice loose stones.

Your best tool is education. Learn about diamonds and other jewels for what makes a quality stone or setting. Learn about the ‘Four C’s’. Run down to your local jeweler before you leave and look at the items that you may be interested in buying. Learn all that you can about the pieces. Check what their price is when they have their “50% off” and the "we pay the sales tax" sales. Remember, no sales tax down island -- that by itself would save well over $100 on a $1500 purchase here in California.

When you get to SXM, visit the shops and price the items you checked out at home. Compare prices along Front Street, the service from the various shops, and how comfortable you feel with the sales staff. Also check out how cold their free beers are.

For us this means buying from Shiva's. If you go, be sure to ask for Gary and Mary Ann's special discount. Work with any of their crew, but ask if Ajay or Varkha are available for special treatment.

gary

p.s. We also shop at Ballerina. Say hello to Ravi.

Over several years, I've purchased from Dazzling Gems, 10 Front St, way down on the south end. I've always dealt with Danny the owner and have made some terrific buys. He's not one of the "Big" stores with all the hype. He gets by on very small margins. They do have a home office in New York also, for piece of mind.

That's where I 'll go next time!!

Over several years, I've purchased from Dazzling Gems, 10 Front St, way down on the south end. I've always dealt with Danny the owner and have made some terrific buys. He's not one of the "Big" stores with all the hype. He gets by on very small margins. They do have a home office in New York also, for piece of mind.

That's where I 'll go next time!!

Thanks for the info

We have used Royal Jewelers for years & they have another store in St Thomas (Nitas). They have been great to us. We bought our daughter a tanzanite & diamond bracelet and about 8 months later one of the tanzanite stones was gone. I emailed them and they have connections to a store in NY. I mailed the bracelet with a copy of their email to NY (insured of course) and the stone was replaced and all settings checked and tightened - at no charge. It took about 10 days. Among other things, we have bought blue diamonds, chocolate daimonds & black diamonds there.

We have used Royal Jewelers for years & they have another store in St Thomas (Nitas). They have been great to us. We bought our daughter a tanzanite & diamond bracelet and about 8 months later one of the tanzanite stones was gone. I emailed them and they have connections to a store in NY. I mailed the bracelet with a copy of their email to NY (insured of course) and the stone was replaced and all settings checked and tightened - at no charge. It took about 10 days. Among other things, we have bought blue diamonds, chocolate daimonds & black diamonds there.

The idea of the store in NY is definitely a plus. Blue diamond is what I am really interested in but those chocolate ones are looking nice also. Time will tell, thanks for the info

The idea of the store in NY is definitely a plus. Blue diamond is what I am really interested in but those chocolate ones are looking nice also. Time will tell, thanks for the info

It appears that you have a lot of time to think about it, but I'd add that our guy, Shiva's, has a service center in New York and in Los Angeles.

If your purchase qualifies, they have a 'take it home and have it appraised, then pay us' program.

gary

• 2 weeks later...
It appears that you have a lot of time to think about it, but I'd add that our guy, Shiva's, has a service center in New York and in Los Angeles.

If your purchase qualifies, they have a 'take it home and have it appraised, then pay us' program.

gary

I have spoken with several people I work with who also recommend Shiva;s, looks like thats where I will be headed, thanks

Archived