Lamanai with L5 injury?

sbcatcher1

I am booked on this tour next week but just found out that I have a disc in my lower back that is bulging which sometimes causes sciatic pain. I can walk but slowly. My main interest is the river tour but NCL doesn't offer just a river tour. I am concerned that I may get in the jungle & not keep up. My MD has OK'd the cruise. Suggestions from those that have done the tour.

Thanks

Having delt with a similar injury lamenectomy L4-S1 this might not be a good option for you if walking over uneven ground is going to cause pain. Climbing is clearly out of the question. Although my surgery corrected my problem in your case it is on-going. I am not a doctor and speak from experience. You might want to discuss your plans with your doctor then make the choice. The river cruise to Lamanai is noth spectacular but the ruins are. If you are good with uneven ground then go. There will be others who are of different ages and physical abilities. Only you will know if this is best for you.

my only problem was the bus, the bus was older (had great, new bus the day before in santo tomas). we had to move around to find good seats...but the bus ran well and got us to the boat dock in good shape.

it's an hour bus ride and an hour boat ride to lamanai.

i couldn't climb the ruin, which was a disappointment..but the walk was fine. yes, it's uneven...you walk over stones, tree roots, mud, etc. but they take it slow.

on our NCL tour, we had a young man who trailed the group. he was a local who helped the tour guide.

one doctor says i have 2 bulging, another says 3 (old injuries that surgery won't help) as well as stenosis of the neck.

the bus will not be crowded, you can move around to get comfortable, the boat ride is nice (they make stops for wildlife viewing, etc) but can get bumpy..but the seats were comfortable.

the biggest problem was stepping up or down to get out of the boat. between DH and the boat captain, they made sure i made it.

if you get a tour guide named "jewell" this will be one of the best tours even!

1319209619_returntorestarea.jpg.99b45660f842869f65eeae67db5c3e85.jpg

1136136000_manyturns.jpg.318ef85d2ba5bdecb3a4dd58d13c67f5.jpg

1497155716_bighowlermonkey.jpg.613a154f8caa3545b0f87d92269d2ab9.jpg

1097774990_enteringtheballcourtarea.jpg.079b1cfef94ec6176788d47157057e8f.jpg

99249362_Close-upofJaguar.jpg.3252976d9b3600f9ba48fd954ad691f7.jpg

Archived