Snorkeling/sailing - St. Thomas

MicheleCda

I am booked on the Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean Jan 23, 2011 cruise (girlfriend getaway). I would like to find a snorkeling/sailing excursion to probably St. John. I would prefer an actual sailboat as opposed to a catamaran. Of the Princess excursions, it appears the trips are all catamarans. Does anyone know of any companies offering this type of excursion? Or any other recommendations for snorkeling excursions that we may like?

I've heard lots of great things about a company called New Horizons, however, all their trips end at 4 pm and since the ship leaves St. Thomas at 4 pm, we obviously can't book with this company.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I am booked on the Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean Jan 23, 2011 cruise (girlfriend getaway). I would like to find a snorkeling/sailing excursion to probably St. John. I would prefer an actual sailboat as opposed to a catamaran. Of the Princess excursions, it appears the trips are all catamarans. Does anyone know of any companies offering this type of excursion? Or any other recommendations for snorkeling excursions that we may like?

I've heard lots of great things about a company called New Horizons, however, all their trips end at 4 pm and since the ship leaves St. Thomas at 4 pm, we obviously can't book with this company.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

A 4PM sailaway makes it difficult for a sail to St John. Most are full day returning between 3-4PM, and sail out of Red Hook. If you are set on going to St John the ship's catamaran with all its fellow snorkelers, will be your safest choice.

Rumbaba, a small boat with no more than eight passengers, offers a half day. Give him a shout. I went with his full day and was very pleased, but it returns about 3:15PM-3:30PM. You can't make that.

http://www.rumbabacharters.com/

You might consider going on your own to St John for shore snorkeling. It's excellent at Trunk Bay, but that's where all the cruise ship tours go. There are a number of other beaches with better snorkeling and fewer people. Cinnamon Bay is a good choice.

http://www.stjohnusvi.com/beach.html

Sapphire Beach is apparently a good choice for St Thomas. I haven't been there, but vinow rates it "good" for snorkeling.

Vinow is the web site for all things USVI. Cruise Critic won't allow a direct link. Just enter www vinow com, hover over "St Thomas" and select beach guide.

Decided to go with Fury Charters. They offer a 1/2 day morning or afternoon so we're booked on the morning tour. They look reputable and have good reviews. I wish it could be longer but that 4 pm departure really interferes with that. On the positive side though, we still get the sailboat and will still have time to check out other things in St. Thomas :)

• 2 months later...
Decided to go with Fury Charters. They offer a 1/2 day morning or afternoon so we're booked on the morning tour. They look reputable and have good reviews. I wish it could be longer but that 4 pm departure really interferes with that. On the positive side though, we still get the sailboat and will still have time to check out other things in St. Thomas :)

How did your tour with Fury Charters go? We are considering them for our Feb 20 cruise!!

Archived