Snorkel Gear

Miss Jolly

We are travelling to The Caribbean with stopovers in Hawaii and was wondering how hygenic the snorkelling gear is that is supplied at various places. We are travelling from Australia so do not want to carry excess unnecessary items but I have cancer so have to be particularly careful regarding infection. I am thinking that we should bring our own snorkelling gear. Is this an over reaction?

We brought our own equipment for years because we don't like using stuff others have used either. They do soak the masks & snorkels in bleach to clean them after each use if that makes you feel any better. We have also stopped lugging the equipment along & don't snorkel any longer after many years because it's really a bother to pack but if you really want to do it I'd at least bring my own mask/snorkel & use their vest & flippers.

Whevever in doubt, bring your own....especially if you are immunocompromised.

I have seen the good outfitters cleaning their equipment....I bring my own mask b/c I like the fit better and I am now leaving my flippers at home due to the extra weight in my luggage

We are travelling to The Caribbean with stopovers in Hawaii and was wondering how hygenic the snorkelling gear is that is supplied at various places. We are travelling from Australia so do not want to carry excess unnecessary items but I have cancer so have to be particularly careful regarding infection. I am thinking that we should bring our own snorkelling gear. Is this an over reaction?

Make luggage space for your snorkel tube and mask. Use the operator's fins and vest.

If you plan to only snorkel on tours, I would still take at least my own mask and snorkel. But keep in mind that if any in your family might be snorkeling off the beach and not on a tour, it might be difficult to find a place to 'rent' the snorkeling gear. I would at least take along the basics, or possibly buy a snorkel and mask once you get to your disembarkation port (it would solve the packing and flying from AU problem, but assure you of a good fitting mask and clean snorkel). ;) Enjoy!

Make luggage space for your snorkel tube and mask. Use the operator's fins and vest.

Speaking of vests, I'm sure you use something akin to Clorox (bleach) wipes on the whistle on your cabin life vests, right?

Lord only knows how many kid's mouths they've been in.:eek:

Speaking of vests, I'm sure you use something akin to Clorox (bleach) wipes on the whistle on your cabin life vests, right?

Lord only knows how many kid's mouths they've been in.:eek:

If I had to think about actually using the whistle while in the water that would be the last thing on my mind. ;)

For sure not an over reaction...we never use the supplied gear they give us...fins and all. If your worried about having too much to carry...at least just buy the snorkel tube...that's the most important. Even if you just by a simple tube...I've seen some cruise ships sell just that for $5-10 or just buy it before hand.

I seen all of the previous snorkel groups gear all in one giant tub..they said go ahead and grab one! lol..I would think not!

My prayers are with you and your family...

Caz

We take our own gear. I am somewhat careful about exposure to germs, but I can't imagine dipping gear in bleach is good for the gear, nor do I want to put my mouth on bleach. Plus we know how it works and how it is maintained. We will stick to lugging our gear around with us.

Archived