should I pack my own snorkel equitment?

janna1

We are family of 4, two adults and 2 kids (7 & 9).

We will be on Zuiderdam half transit of Panama Canal next week. I am doing the packing now.

I wonder if I should to pack our own snorkel gears or not.

The maximum snorkel opportunity we can have probably are Aruba’s Palm beach, Half moon bay and Curacao’s Playa PortoMari. We will not snorkel in Limon.

Can anyone tell me if all those 3 places have snorkel rentals and how much? Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Jian

Snorkeling is not very good in HMC unless you take their excursion and as I recall they do rent gear. As to rent or take you own I guess it depends on you needs and equipment. We have "dry" snorkels that we really like and are normally not rented and I take a size 13 shoe so finding a pair of fins is sometime a problem so we take our own. Hope this helps.

We are family of 4, two adults and 2 kids (7 & 9).

We will be on Zuiderdam half transit of Panama Canal next week. I am doing the packing now.

I wonder if I should to pack our own snorkel gears or not.

The maximum snorkel opportunity we can have probably are Aruba’s Palm beach, Half moon bay and Curacao’s Playa PortoMari. We will not snorkel in Limon.

Can anyone tell me if all those 3 places have snorkel rentals and how much? Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Jian

Hi Jian,

We always pack our snorkel gear. Including my snorkel vest. Even though I don't use it much anymore, If I need it, I have it. We also pack our water shoes too, and always wind up using them.

Not far from Palm Beach is Arashi beach. Your family could take the Arubus to Arashi and snorkel in the morning, then over to Palm Beach for the rest of the day. If you like to snorkel, it would be worth it.

HMC has little snorkeling. We used ours the last time we were there, just to look at what was under the beautiful clear water.

We have not been to Porto Mari, but we've stopped in Curacao 5 times. I believe the snorkeling is suppossed to be good in Porto Mari, We have snorkeled every time we were in Curacao.

So- I would recommend bringing your gear. Have a great cruise!

I dint know where HMC is but I can tell you on your route there is no snorkeling worth the time.... sand bottom means no coral, means no fish means poor visability.

I just came back from 14 days on a cruise/

Bring your own stuff... rental stuff is poor quality, abused and margiinaly clean........ Would you rent a toothbrush?

Snorkels. Masks regulators are very vital and personal

Forget the vest.... rather get a shorty 1/8 wet suit top or vest it will give you more floation. warmth, sun burn protection and a place to store stuff.

Places with worthwhile snorkeling.

Grand Caymen

Grand Truk

Bonair

St John

Bermuda

Aruba

The rest are a bust-ola not worth the effort unless you live in Montana and have never seen the ocean and gold fish in a store window are exciting.

Thank you everyone for good suggestions.

When we go to Hawaii, we always pack our own gears. Since this time it is not so many snorkel opportunities and I also need to pack all the formal dresses and a lot of shoes for different occasions. So I have little hesitate.

But I guess you are right. I'll pack our own :)

We always take our own mask and snorkel. We decided after our last cruise to not take fins anymore. You can get all the necessary snorkel equipment from the tour operater. However, I just can't put my mouth on something that someone(s) else has used. But, if we need fins, we use theirs. The snorkel vests are small, and take up hardly any room, deflated. That's a personal choice if you take them or not. However, the tour operaters offer those too. Saves room in packing, and in the amount of equipment you carry with you in each port. Makes life a lot simpler. If we are on our own, you can snorkel with a mask and snorkel, and get by fine without fins. Unless you are a long distance swimmer, of course.

Archived