Mini-suite vs. Family Suite - Help me decide!

tkq

We are planning a cruise to Alaska this June. There are four of us - 2 adults and 2 kids 12 and under. We were looking at a mini-suite but just saw a great deal for a family suite on the Star. Family suite appears to have a lot more room, but no balcony. We have always had a balcony but not sure we will use it as much in Alaska. Family suite has those great big windows.

If any one has stayed in either I would love to hear your thoughts - good and bad!

Thanks in advance.

We haven't yet stayed in the family suite but are booked on one for March. I have been following threads (do a search for Hikini's posts) and you can see pictures and read some very positive posts. I believe these suites are highly recommend but if you want a family suite for Alaska, don't delay book quickly as these seem to sell quickly for the Alaska itinerary. FYI rooms 12020 and forward are not underneath the jogging path from above. It shouldn't be a deal breaker if you do get a room under the path but if you have a choice go forward. Also, there are 4 penthouse suites with a small balcony on deck 12, but they may already be booked - make sure you check those out as well. You will get suite priviledges which will really enhance your cruise, plus the floor to ceiling window are really lovely - you won't miss the balcony! Enjoy planning.

We did AK in Sept in the family suite and loved it. The room is huge and the views are great. We really didn't miss not having a balcony. I'd also advise getting one a bit farther back, if possible to avoid the track noise. It wasn't a major bother, but it was quite evident every morning.

We are planning a cruise to Alaska this June. There are four of us - 2 adults and 2 kids 12 and under. We were looking at a mini-suite but just saw a great deal for a family suite on the Star. Family suite appears to have a lot more room, but no balcony. We have always had a balcony but not sure we will use it as much in Alaska. Family suite has those great big windows.

If any one has stayed in either I would love to hear your thoughts - good and bad!

Thanks in advance.

They are "to kill for," huge and nicely arranged. We did not miss the balcony one iota.

Totally agree with others. The tradeoff is getting suite perks vs balcony. IMHO the balcony for Alaska will only be missed with glacier viewing and for that segment you can get a nice spot on deck... The suite perks last the whole cruise... Go for it!!!

Archived