Helpful Information for Jewel Dec. 5 Cruisers

theshortchef

For those of you who are in the situation that we are in with the Jewel Dec. 5 becoming the Jewel Dec. 6 sailing.

For the record, we have not been contacted by NCL yet and I'm thankful for these boards or I still would not know!

I've seen several posts from people who are not as familiar with the area as we are. We live outside of Philly and visit NY frequently. I can tell you without hesitation that driving into NYC during rush hour on Monday morning will take you much, much longer than you can expect. Our drive is about 2 hours on Sunday mid morning but it is a different ballgame on Monday morning during rush hour. It is not a chance we are willing to take and we are taking a room in North New Jersey tomorrow night.

There are several chain hotels (Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Days Inn, etc) in northern New Jersey that are only about 5-10 miles from the pier. This could easily translate to 1/2 to 1 hour driving time in the morning so allow for that. More likely than not, an accomodation in NYC will be very costly, will carry a large parking fee, and could take forever to get to the pier if you are doing several miles through downtown Manhattan.

Cities to look at include: Secaucus, Rutherford (The Meadowlands), Passaic, Newark, Clifton, etc.

Hope this is helpful! While it is stressful and/or upsetting, it sure could be alot worse. We will all laugh about this soon enough ...

Just to let everyone on the 12/5 Jewel sailing from ny that our ta called us just now and said if we show up at the pier tomorrow ncl will provide a hotel room tomorrow night, 12/5 with transportation and a chit for dinner. Has anyone else heard similar news from ncl or their ta?

OP- Thanks for the info- we are also from the Philly area (Burlington County NJ) and were wondering about getting to NYC in time on Monday. Also- we have not received any notice from NCL or from our TA yet! We are considering going up tomorrow and hoping that they really will put us up for the night and get us to the dock in time.

Too little official information!!!!

OP- Thanks for the info- we are also from the Philly area (Burlington County NJ) and were wondering about getting to NYC in time on Monday. Also- we have not received any notice from NCL or from our TA yet! We are considering going up tomorrow and hoping that they really will put us up for the night and get us to the dock in time.

Too little official information!!!!

YES---I think the big problem with this whole situation...is lack of communication!!! NCL..needs to improve their customer service...

(though I was lucky to be home for the call...I found my follow up call to NCL very disturbing..as the rep did not know anything about the change..in fact put me on hold to check with someone...and said all is well...(so no one there knew anything!) How does NCL expect customers to get info...and not have the reps informed and prepared :confused:

I live in Fort Lee NJ which is the town that sits on the NJ side of the George Washington Bridge. If you are taking this route in the morning on Monday and then heading down the West Side Hwy, then you need to be at the bridge before 7am or it will take you forever. Even 7 is not a guarantee on a Monday morning. If you intend to take the Lincoln Tunnel it may be a bit better but not much. There is a Doubletree in Fort Lee, a Marriott in Teaneck. Homewood Suites in Edgewater ( you can leave your car at Homewood Suites for the week and take the ferry across the Hudson and then 5 minutes taxi ride) I hope all goes well for all of you. any questions I will check the board often.

I live in Fort Lee NJ which is the town that sits on the NJ side of the George Washington Bridge. If you are taking this route in the morning on Monday and then heading down the West Side Hwy, then you need to be at the bridge before 7am or it will take you forever. Even 7 is not a guarantee on a Monday morning. If you intend to take the Lincoln Tunnel it may be a bit better but not much. ........any questions I will check the board often.

Thanks for the suggestion- looks like we'll try the Lincoln Tunnel and be very early. Any other suggestions for getting to the dock before the ship sails? Traffic areas to avoid? Car pool lanes?

One problem is that we have still not been notified by NCL (or our TA), so apparently I'm not on their list to call with updates (although I did give them my cell phone number when I filled out all the paperwork). We need to leave before daylight on Monday- so I may not be able to tell if the ship is really in NYC (or on her way or still in Boston). I learned about the delay from a post on Cruise Critic last night (after NCL closed), so I'm really "out of the loop" on this!

One problem is that we have still not been notified by NCL (or our TA), so apparently I'm not on their list to call with updates (although I did give them my cell phone number when I filled out all the paperwork). We need to leave before daylight on Monday- so I may not be able to tell if the ship is really in NYC (or on her way or still in Boston). I learned about the delay from a post on Cruise Critic last night (after NCL closed), so I'm really "out of the loop" on this!

That is terrible....there is no reason for that...!!!!

Thank heavens for CC....where we all seem to get our info now:rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestion- looks like we'll try the Lincoln Tunnel and be very early. Any other suggestions for getting to the dock before the ship sails? Traffic areas to avoid? Car pool lanes?

You should check the NY Port Web cam before you leave your house..not the Jewel Web Cam. Hopefully it will come in sometime during the night.

You should check the NY Port Web cam before you leave your house..not the Jewel Web Cam. Hopefully it will come in sometime during the night.

Do you have a link? Is it aligned to show the exact dock for the Jewel? Hopefully, it will be well lit at 5 AM. Thanks, Lynn

Archived