Is a shirt and tie enough for Formal Night?

chaderic

I'm wondering if a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt and tie are enough for the ships Formal Night(s)? I hate to pack a suit coat if I don't have to. Do some other men just wear a shirt and tie or does everyone wear a coat? Are coats required? THanks - First Timer!

I'm wondering if a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt and tie are enough for the ships Formal Night(s)? I hate to pack a suit coat if I don't have to. Do some other men just wear a shirt and tie or does everyone wear a coat? Are coats required? THanks - First Timer!

stealing Derf's thunder.

Dress code for the dining room

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

To answer your question, no. In reality you will see people in every form of dress. The theory of FORMAL night is that it is formal. If you got an invitation to a formal wedding, would you not wear a jacket? If you don't want to pack it, Carnival rents tuxes, dinner jackets, etc and you don't have to pack it or worry that it will need pressing. Very simple. There are also other dining options if you don't want to dress up. This is a very controversial thread on this board.

Do what makes you feel comfortable. I have been on 7 cruises and have seen a large variety of clothing on formal nights. Most people do wear Tuxedos or suits. but some do not. After dinner starts alot of men take off their jackets. I have even seen people wearing shorts in the dining room on non formal nights. Remember you are on vacation. No one will ask you to leave the dining room.

You know, I really feel sorry for innocent first timers who ask questions like these. Sooner or later someone is going to come along and blast you for not wearing that jacket. Or maybe someone else who's opinion differs from their own.

Anyway, you can get away with just a shirt and tie. The majority of men will be in a suit with a few tuxes in there as well. And yes, you will see some men in just a shirt and tie.

Wow- I didn't mean to bring up such a touchy subject. I think feeling "sorry" for me and saying things like "here we go *again*" are a bit uncalled for. I'll do my best to stop asking stupid questions.

Disappointed

You didn't ask a stupid question. Some people seem to forget that we were all newbies before. This is a place for people to ask questions and learn. Please don't let one or two people deter you from starting threads when you have questions. The majority of us are happy to help you!

As for your question....

On the Valor last week, I noticed the majority of the men wore suits; a handful wore button downs, khakis and ties; a handful wore tuxes; 5 wore class A's (including my boyfriend :D ) and the couple sitting at the table next to ours wore jeans. You will see a little bit of everything. It is YOUR vacation, no one elses....wear what you feel comfortable in!

I am proud of you. You have been tought well. Since I started linking I have wondered if cruisecriters would follow my lead so to put me out of my job

I'm not worthy of such fine praise nor wouldst I dare attempt to supplant your Derfness!

I didn't mean to bring up such a touchy subject. I'll do my best to stop asking stupid questions.

No, you did good. Very valid question for a first timer.

You now know your hosts have a dress code. You can now make your plans knowing this.

Wow- I didn't mean to bring up such a touchy subject. I think feeling "sorry" for me and saying things like "here we go *again*" are a bit uncalled for. I'll do my best to stop asking stupid questions.

Disappointed

You are absolutely correct and I don't blame you for being a bit miffed. There are a few pompous a$$es here, as in every walk of life. Ignore them and enjoy the information you can obtain here.:cool:

Disappointed

It is a touchy subject for some and this is the only place you will encounter any hostility. I believe formal means formal, and I will be wearing a tuxedo. If I happen to bump into you at dinner you won't have a clue how I feel about your attire - nor will you probably care. None of the dining room staff will prevent you from dining.

I would, however, encourage you to dress up as much as you can. It's a wonderful evening made better by ratcheting up the attire.

Have a great cruise.

obtw - check the threads thoroughly before asking about swim diapers, underage gambling, chair saving, unruly children, excessive drinking or smoking. ;-)

Nothing is required, but wearing shorts could cause a problem. I usually forget the tie and wear a shirt and blazer with my blue jeans.

Another one of my packing hints is to leave dress shoes at home. I have found that black Rockport or New Balance walking shoes can do double duty.

Disappointed

Most often the only 'stupid' questions are the ones that go un-asked. Sometimes when you ask things, some people forget they were new once, maybe they think they are being funny (not), maybe they are in a bad mood, or maybe they are just that way. ;) If you dont ask, you may never find out...

For formal nights, I usually go with coat and tie. I feel most do 'dress up' and it really makes for a special occasion onboard; and really adds to the entire experience. I would highly recommend it. As far as other options... that is why they offer difference choices - if you feel like dressing down, there are other dining options. If you want to experience a formal dinner in a formal setting, go for it. If you want a quick meal, or simply feel like not 'dressing up', go like you want and enjoy at one of the other choices.

Kinda like: if you are going swimming, what would be the recommended attire? Do you dress differently in cold weather vs. warm weather? Go with the appropriate dress for where you are going and have a great time!

I tried to post this a little while ago and it didn't go through. So if you get it twice just ignore one. Now as I was trying to say before is that I so agree with "weathergeek". PLEASE don't let one or two people discourage you from asking any questions. As the saying goes "the only foolish question is the one you don't ask". We were all new to cruising at one time. And yes I have seen all types of dress in the dining rm. on formal nights. Not to worry though.... Some are very dressed up and many are not. Just enjoy yourself and have a great cruise. I see that you signed on to C.C. in Jan.2005. So welcome aboard!!!!!! And ask away..... Linda

Disappointed

Obviously I wasn't clear if you felt offended by my previous post. You had a perfectly valid question. Unfortunately, it's one of the topics that can get hot because people's opinions vary widely and first timers think they are being attacked when it's the opinions of other posters being attacked. I've seen it happen time and again, and I DO feel sorry for the first timers who are put in a position that they feel they've done something stupid. There are no stupid questions!

That said, follow the dress code and you won't have to worry.

If all these other posters can SNEAK booze on board than I would say a shirt and tie are ok.

You guys are something else, follow only the rules you want too, break the others.

Lets follow ALL the rules or none of the rules.

Well I never! I have never snuck booze on board - but I have been known to wear Depends (well hidden by my swim suit).:D

Archived