Solstice disappointments

gregjm

Just returned from the 11-28 sailing of the Solstice.

This is our second time on Solstice and fourth Celebrity cruise. We have also sailed Princess (5) and RCL (1).

This was, by far, the worst cruise we've been on in regards to the attitude of the staff. Morale must be at an all time low.

A few examples:

On past X cruise and on Princess cruises, the officers always say Hello to passengers when they pass them in the halls, etc.. Not so on this cruise. In fact, they were downright rude on several occasions. Many fellow cruisers mentioned this as well.

The guest relations staff was rude. I had two failed Satellite phone calls (dropped in the first few seconds) and notified the front desk. They told me that they would see if they could issue a credit. When I raised the issue again the next day, the guest relations person said "how do we know that the calls didn't go through?" Well, they were less than 10 seconds each to the same number within a minute of each other.

The Oceanview Bartenders were downright rude. They didn't say a word when you sat down at the bar---just stare at you until you order a drink. They make the drink and present the check and that's it. It was appalling. (once again, others mentioned this to me as well)

Pool butlers went through the motions but always looked as though they hated their job; they wouldn't smile or engage you in any conversations.

Having bought the all you can drink Coke product package, I can tell you that showing the card brings a sneer from many of the bartenders.

Something has happened in the last two years since our last time on Solstice. That sailing was the BEST SERVICE ever. This was the worst.

Something is amiss with the management of this vessel and X better get a handle on it before an arrogant and rude staff drives loyal customers to other lines.

This may be our last X cruise.

I also just got back from the 11-28 sailing, and I'm afraid you may have boarded the wrong ship last week at port everglades, because we weren't on the same ship.

I'll post a full review later, but one of things that blew me away was how EVERY staff member greeted me when they saw me. Also, I had the soda package and NEVER had a problem with it. If anything, towards the end of the week they just stopped swiping my card, but they never treated me bad.

I'm sorry you had a bad cruise. There was a Carnival ship that was across the pier from the Solstice, perhaps, you got on that one by mistake? :confused:

Sailed Solstice last year and 11/13/10. My most recent experience surpassed my very high expectations. Food, entertainment, and staff attentiveness were tops. Sorry your experience was less than perfect but, based on the general excitement and rave reviews of the S ships on these boards (and first hand) I would try it again...and again....

I sailed the Solstice mid October and Princess for Thanksgiving. I found the food comparable on the 2 lines and though I really like Princess a lot, the service on the Solstice was considerably ahead of the Sapphire. The bartenders on both were very friendly, just more so on Solstice. The dining room service was considerably better on Solstice. Not that any of these things were BAD on the Sapphire. Just not as exceptional as I found them on Celebrity. I'd do either again in a heartbeat but if price and itinerary were nearly equal I'd go w/ =X=.

I hope that I get the staff that you had :eek:, as I really don't enjoy small talk. I'd rather they just make my drinks, but a smile would be appreciated too of course. I know a lot of people enjoy chatting with strangers but some of us are more introverted and are happy not to.

I also just got back from the 11-28 sailing, and I'm afraid you may have boarded the wrong ship last week at port everglades, because we weren't on the same ship.

I'll post a full review later, but one of things that blew me away was how EVERY staff member greeted me when they saw me. Also, I had the soda package and NEVER had a problem with it. If anything, towards the end of the week they just stopped swiping my card, but they never treated me bad.

I'm sorry you had a bad cruise. There was a Carnival ship that was across the pier from the Solstice, perhaps, you got on that one by mistake? :confused:

Love your name!

I'm with RoyalCruz...I have always found it weird that people want to become so close with the waitstaff and cruise staff...I'm on vacation...I interact with enough people on land! We saw a couple on our last cruise getting email addresses from the MDR waitstaff (who barely spoke english)...it was odd at best...but each to their own!! That's the beauty of freedom!

This is our second time on Solstice and fourth Celebrity cruise. We have also sailed Princess (5) and RCL (1).

This was, by far, the worst cruise we've been on in regards to the attitude of the staff. Morale must be at an all time low.

A few examples:

On past X cruise and on Princess cruises, the officers always say Hello to passengers when they pass them in the halls, etc.. Not so on this cruise. In fact, they were downright rude on several occasions. Many fellow cruisers mentioned this as well.

The guest relations staff was rude. I had two failed Satellite phone calls (dropped in the first few seconds) and notified the front desk. They told me that they would see if they could issue a credit. When I raised the issue again the next day, the guest relations person said "how do we know that the calls didn't go through?" Well, they were less than 10 seconds each to the same number within a minute of each other.

The Oceanview Bartenders were downright rude. They didn't say a word when you sat down at the bar---just stare at you until you order a drink. They make the drink and present the check and that's it. It was appalling. (once again, others mentioned this to me as well)

Pool butlers went through the motions but always looked as though they hated their job; they wouldn't smile or engage you in any conversations.

Having bought the all you can drink Coke product package, I can tell you that showing the card brings a sneer from many of the bartenders.

Something has happened in the last two years since our last time on Solstice. That sailing was the BEST SERVICE ever. This was the worst.

Something is amiss with the management of this vessel and X better get a handle on it before an arrogant and rude staff drives loyal customers to other lines.

We were one the Solstice the week before and to be honest, I have to agree in some points. Guest relations not very helpful but even arrogant.

The MDR service was poor at the begining so that we changed tables the other night. Oceanview: it took a long while till someone cleaned the tables. The last breakfast at Disembarkation day was a mess. No plates, empty food display 30 minutes before closure. Security at Entrance/Exit rude. Activity Staff seemed very stressed during Bingo for example.

We will still stick to Celebrity. However, the whole Solstice Class Experience ( three Solstice Class Cruises in two month) had pushed our mind to the idea trying a new Cruise Line.

Millenium and Century Class might be older and not that fancy. Service attitude however is way above Solstice Class.

In regards to Bar and Waitstaff Service (not Guest Relations).

We were on Solstice in August of 2010, did talk with a couple of the Bar staff (Denny at the Mast Bar). He mentioned that he had just signed his contract and had only been on board for a week or so. Most of these contracts are 4 Month and the Bar/Waitstaff seem to come from a Agency in Jamaica. I wonder if most of these folks are near the end of their contract and are really really ready to head home? Not an excuse, just a possible scenario.

As to our experience in August, the service was wonderful. I will say that Bar service around the Pool was a little slow if you asked for particular drinks or made a special way, but when I ordered a Corona using the Premium Package, it was fast and efficient.

Also, having 3 sea days on a 7 day (actually almost 4 since the ship does not get into San Juan until afternoon) can make it really tough on the staff, not much time for the ship to have the passengers ashore while they "catch up" or rest.

Wonder if Celebrity will re-evaluate this type of Itinerary and put a Solstice Class in San Juan during the Winter?

Tiki

Also, having 3 sea days on a 7 day (actually almost 4 since the ship does not get into San Juan until afternoon) can make it really tough on the staff, not much time for the ship to have the passengers ashore while they "catch up" or rest.

Wonder if Celebrity will re-evaluate this type of Itinerary and put a Solstice Class in San Juan during the Winter?

Tiki

I sure hope they do; I'm not a sea day person which is why we are sailing Summit out of San Juan. Sure did enjoy the short cruise on Equinox last year.

I thought I would put my 2 cents in....

Daniel (who I believe was our activities director) was ...let's say a bit snitty at disembarkation.

As far as service... For us it was top notch. However I do see other posters' points as our cabin attendant was not present the entire cruise. We were concierge class and I guess that we are they type of people who enjoy getting to know the crew. So his absence was a downer. However with that said, he kept our room spotless at all times. We also ordered appetizers when we had a pre dinner drink in the room with friends and he was there in 20 minutes with plates full of food. I tipped him for that and he got the minimum at the end of the week.

For dinner we had Felix and Claudia. Their quick service and banter was welcome. Felix was chatty and funny every night while Claudia was quietly keeping the table spotless and knowing what everyone drank and when. She even told us about her friend in the Tuscan grill who then became our server that night. Claudia also worked the buffet in the AM and would find us and bring us our juice and other items. At the end she got a very nice cash tip in addition to the normal gratuity. We also took care of Felix who was a good sport....mind you, this Nov 28th cruise had 1016 "family" members...mostly men. This fabulous group was nearly 40% of the ship, and typically we all tip well...especially for prompt cocktail service!

We too were on 2 years ago....but it was our very first cruise ever and we were told we would be spoiled forever....so yes...it was not the same...but overall I still consider it a step up from RCCL which is our cruise line of choice.

Ken

A few examples:

Our Solstice cruise on 11/21 was the same - very disappointing.

1) I don't like chit chat either and we really keep to ourselves on vacation, so I'm not looking to learn their kid's names, etc., but a smile or "what can I get for you", etc...is just simple customer service.

2) Many people are amazed and state that their cruise was fantastic on this date, etc.....well, Tiki Man is right, it could revolve around contract dates and while an August or October Solstice cruise was amazing, by November you could have crew attitudes that have shifted.

3) "wrong ship" - again - it's a big ship....while one vacationer might spend a lot of time around the pool and find that service to be the dominant reason they did not enjoy the crew, cruise, etc. Another family might never be by the pool or frequent specific bar, etc. It's very possible to be on the same cruise and yet experience something different - depends on what you did and where you went...where your room was and where you dined, etc.

4) Another thread said that "some people just aren't happy", etc. I take offense to that because we are NOT overly picky travellers and have cruised a few different lines. We also go out of our way to say "good morning" or something while passing crew - always say thank you, etc., so we're not stuck in a negative mind set and looking for reasons to complain.

I have read overwhelming positive things about Celebrity and the Solstice up to the last few sailings. Only recently have I read a pattern about bad service. I did receive a call from Celebrity regarding my comment card, which was a nice gesture.

Our sailing was our worst cruise to date. But with that said, I won't bash Celebrity because of only one cruise and might give them another shot down the line. I think people should hear both positive and negative feedback about each other's sailing experiences.

Our Solstice cruise on 11/21 was the same - very disappointing.

1) I don't like chit chat either and we really keep to ourselves on vacation, so I'm not looking to learn their kid's names, etc., but a smile or "what can I get for you", etc...is just simple customer service.

2) Many people are amazed and state that their cruise was fantastic on this date, etc.....well, Tiki Man is right, it could revolve around contract dates and while an August or October Solstice cruise was amazing, by November you could have crew attitudes that have shifted.

3) "wrong ship" - again - it's a big ship....while one vacationer might spend a lot of time around the pool and find that service to be the dominant reason they did not enjoy the crew, cruise, etc. Another family might never be by the pool or frequent specific bar, etc. It's very possible to be on the same cruise and yet experience something different - depends on what you did and where you went...where your room was and where you dined, etc.

4) Another thread said that "some people just aren't happy", etc. I take offense to that because we are NOT overly picky travellers and have cruised a few different lines. We also go out of our way to say "good morning" or something while passing crew - always say thank you, etc., so we're not stuck in a negative mind set and looking for reasons to complain.

I have read overwhelming positive things about Celebrity and the Solstice up to the last few sailings. Only recently have I read a pattern about bad service. I did receive a call from Celebrity regarding my comment card, which was a nice gesture.

Our sailing was our worst cruise to date. But with that said, I won't bash Celebrity because of only one cruise and might give them another shot down the line. I think people should hear both positive and negative feedback about each other's sailing experiences.

Sorry you were not happy with your cruise. I notice you cruised during Thanksgiving Week, something we did once and never will again as it is MUCH busier than any other fall dates and imagine the short fall in service may have something to do with that. Not saying it's right, just saying it might be part of the reason. We were on Solstice back in January and loved it but that's a long time ago in terms of "contracts" for the employees. If you decide to give X another chance maybe off of the holiday time frame would be better...again I KNOW it shouldn't be different but suspect it IS none the less!!

We were on the Solstice in June 2010 and were told that a large part of the service staff had just started working on the ship at that time. We felt that the MDR service was discombobulated (wow-spell check OKed this word) and not always efficient. Tablemates at our table, extremely well traveled couple in their early 70's, said flat out that they had had better MDR service on the Oasis in March.

So the problems continue as the June staff reaches the end of their 6 month contract.

I guess the rest of us who have upcoming cruises on Solstice will have to hope for the "best case scenario" here - that a PR representative from X will browse these recent threads and try to do something about it... :(

We were on the Solstice on the 11/14 sailing, and every aspect of the cruise (except self-disembarkatation was was disorganized) exceeded our expectations. This was our 13th Celebrity cruise and by far, the best in every way. The crew went out of their way to smile or speak, and I have to agree with other posters -- possibly the added burden of the Thanksgiving crowd caused some differences. To anyone who is considering a cruise on the Solstice or one of her sister ships, please give it a try - I am sure you will be blown away by the beauty of the ship and hopefully you will experience the same level of service that we did.

I thought I would put my 2 cents in....

Daniel (who I believe was our activities director) was ...let's say a bit snitty at disembarkation.

As far as service... For us it was top notch. However I do see other posters' points as our cabin attendant was not present the entire cruise. We were concierge class and I guess that we are they type of people who enjoy getting to know the crew. So his absence was a downer. However with that said, he kept our room spotless at all times. We also ordered appetizers when we had a pre dinner drink in the room with friends and he was there in 20 minutes with plates full of food. I tipped him for that and he got the minimum at the end of the week.

For dinner we had Felix and Claudia. Their quick service and banter was welcome. Felix was chatty and funny every night while Claudia was quietly keeping the table spotless and knowing what everyone drank and when. She even told us about her friend in the Tuscan grill who then became our server that night. Claudia also worked the buffet in the AM and would find us and bring us our juice and other items. At the end she got a very nice cash tip in addition to the normal gratuity. We also took care of Felix who was a good sport....mind you, this Nov 28th cruise had 1016 "family" members...mostly men. This fabulous group was nearly 40% of the ship, and typically we all tip well...especially for prompt cocktail service!

We too were on 2 years ago....but it was our very first cruise ever and we were told we would be spoiled forever....so yes...it was not the same...but overall I still consider it a step up from RCCL which is our cruise line of choice.

Ken

I think it is great that people post both their successes and their misses about any given cruise, and I thank them for doing so. That way, prospective cruisers can judge whether a particular element would matter to them, and this can help them to make informed choices.

For instance, I would never think of holding my tip to the minimum when my cabin attendant kept my cabin spotless at all times and performed special requests well, but was rarely seen. In my eyes, he has performed his job very well, as I am not looking to have personal interaction with him/her. So this criticism would not persuade me against a particular cruise ship, but I understand that this might be an important point to others.

I thank everyone for taking the time to post their experiences. The diversity of opinion, and the rich source of detail is part of what makes Cruise Critic so great.

I wonder if the Drink Packages are starting to have an effect on the Service?

It is still a relatively new concept for X, and this might be the first Holiday Cruise where it was outside the norm for both Staff and Supplies. Previously, with just a Coke sticker package, that would be pretty easy to guess in regards to number of kids over the normal booking or number of days at Sea as opposed to in Port. Now with the different packages (which I think are WONDERFUL) it may be harder for the Exec's to estimate consumption for a FULL ship. Also, the Holiday sailing typically have a large number of teenage/young adult that are very close to legal drinking age but not quite there, however the staff has to make sure each person checks out to each card. Again, this can slow the process down.

These are kinks that need to be worked out over time. Hiring additional staff for Kids Activities when there are extra kids is something the Lines expect and know how to handle, maybe they will do this with Bar Staff also.

We were first-time cruisers on the same ship 11/28 E. Caribbean. We had a rather different take-away from the original poster. Both of us commented on how astonishingly friendly all the service staff was, from the guys neatening up the hallway to staff you'd pass on the stair: great eye contact, genuine (or well simulated genuine) smile, cheerful greeting of some sort.

Our dining room Waiters were Chai and Michelle, who went far beyond the average in keeping on top of the service. Our somellier was a bit slow on the uptake the first evening -- serving just two at a table of 8 -- but Michelle rounded him up for us and we had very attentive service thereafter.

Didn't see as much of our stateroom steward, but everything was managed very promptly and he remembered who we were (a feat in itself). Poolside service was sometimes slightly harder to get, but we never went without.

You can attribute our pleasure with the service to our being cruise newbies. However, we travel a good deal and dine out a lot, so we understand what the state of service is in most of the hospitality industry. I've only experienced something comparable at the Bellagio in Las Vegas -- and nobody wants to pay those rates!

Sad to know that others didn't have the same experience.

Archived