Bit Nervous

I have just booked the Thomson Red Sea Magic (6/1/11) cruise as a Christmas present for my husband.

I have cruised twice before in the Caribbean on OV. Both times we had an outside (picture window) cabin on the top deck.

As this holiday was a "last minute" budget holiday I have decided to have an inside cabin on deck 1/2.

To keep costs down I have not even choosen which cabin it will be. Now I am getting aprehensive, as I can imagine being down in the engine room, helping the crew....lol!!

I have only paid £500 each, which is so cheap, but hoping I won't live to regret this decision. I never spend any unecessary time in my cabin so will only be using it to sleep and change.

I am trying to put my worries aside and just look forward to the surprise for him on Christmas day and a little warmth at the beginning of January (hopefully).

Lorraine

If I was you I would pay to secure your cabin number away from the the stairs at the back of the ship on both sides as it can be very noisy on the Celebration due to engines.

I agree - for the sake of £39 booking fee, it's not worth the worry of wondering where you will end up on Decks 1/2 especially since you got a good price for your cruise - a small bit extra would eliminate your concerns.

Ring up and get a cabin at the front and no further back than midships on Deck 2 and you should be ok. We don't find noise a problem in this area. Right up front on deck 1 is quiet too - except perhaps noise when docking. Also don't get one next to the laundry - sometimes the timer for the end of the drying cycle keeps bleeping after the automatic locks operate at night. (I heard someone complaining they hadn't slept all night because of the bleeping - I'd ring Reception to complain if that happened though but I don't think the lady realised where the sound was coming from - she was directly behind the laundry room!)

Thanks for your advice. I have just called them and got cabin 670 on deck 2. The lady said this should be okay as away from the lift and laundry.

Lorraine

We've been in several in that vicinity and been fine - I'm sure you can stop worrying now! ;) :)

What a wonderful surprise in store for your hubby. Last Christmas my husband surprised me with the ' Jewels of the Mediterranean' on the Destiny that we took last May, he had spent months keeping it hush, hush. Only one of my two daughter's knew what was was coming and as a result had the camera ready for my reaction. I suggest you do the same ... (having said that, I still can not bear looking at them- wet & red faced from tears, and hyper-ventilating. What a mess :eek: ).

I am so happy for you & the upcoming Christmas surprise that you will soon deliver. You both will have a wonderful time. Up to this point we had never stayed on a deck as low as no. 2, so I had concerns. As it turned out things were fine.

Time to stop worrying and try not to give the game away. Hope your hubby doesn't read the forum. Merry Christmas !!!

We did this cruise last Christmas, you will have a great time I am sure.:)

All ships have their idiosyncrasies and with Celebration its a strange what can only be described as a wobble but you soon get used to it...;)

• 3 weeks later...

My husband was really pleased with his Christmas surprise. Now to the packing.

I know it's only one week, but unsure what to take. On the Caribbean cruises we know it's going to be hot hot hot. But what about the Red Sea Magic. Should I be thinking about taking cardi's and jackets? I am going to pack a couple of really nice dresses, but other than that was thinking of linen trousers, nice tops and sandals....will this be okay or too summery? Are the hairdryers okay or should I take my own?

I have read that the ports are pretty industrial, does this include the one in Sharm as well? Are there any shops at Sharm port, for last minute purchases.

Are there fridges in the cabins to keep bottled water in?

Is there a sail-away party on the first night? If so should I eat early so we don't miss the party

Lots of questions sorry, but any advice would be appreciated.

Lorraine

I know it's only one week, but unsure what to take. On the Caribbean cruises we know it's going to be hot hot hot. But what about the Red Sea Magic. Should I be thinking about taking cardi's and jackets? I am going to pack a couple of really nice dresses, but other than that was thinking of linen trousers, nice tops and sandals....will this be okay or too summery? Are the hairdryers okay or should I take my own?

I have read that the ports are pretty industrial, does this include the one in Sharm as well? Are there any shops at Sharm port, for last minute purchases.

Are there fridges in the cabins to keep bottled water in?

Is there a sail-away party on the first night? If so should I eat early so we don't miss the party

Lots of questions sorry, but any advice would be appreciated.

Lorraine

1. We did this cruise a few years ago in December. Take warm clothes for the evening if you want to go on deck. It was also very cold in Petra and it snowed so take a fleece and a rain mac. Petra was amazing and worth the long coach journey. The air con can be fierce so take a couple of pashminas. People got dressed up for the Captain's night so take a dressy top or LBD.

2. Haidryers are rubbish, I always take my travel dryer and a four gang extension as it is difficult to plug certain things in if the charger is quite big.

3. We didn't get off in Sharm so can't help you there.

4. Our cabin had a fridge but we were in a deluxe - don't know if they all do.

5. There was a sail-away party in the evening but we all had blankets round us as it was so cold! Still had fun though! Have a lovely holiday x

I have just booked the Thomson Red Sea Magic (6/1/11) cruise as a Christmas present for my husband.

I have cruised twice before in the Caribbean on OV. Both times we had an outside (picture window) cabin on the top deck.

As this holiday was a "last minute" budget holiday I have decided to have an inside cabin on deck 1/2.

To keep costs down I have not even choosen which cabin it will be. Now I am getting aprehensive, as I can imagine being down in the engine room, helping the crew....lol!!

I have only paid £500 each, which is so cheap, but hoping I won't live to regret this decision. I never spend any unecessary time in my cabin so will only be using it to sleep and change.

I am trying to put my worries aside and just look forward to the surprise for him on Christmas day and a little warmth at the beginning of January (hopefully).

Lorraine

Its a bit dodgy being at the very bottom of the ship especially if there's a leak. First in last out, might be okay if your a youngster and have very quick legs. No Sir would not like to be at the bottom!!!!!:D

Thanks for all your advice. I've just opened my case and put in a nice warm wrap. Think I'll give Petra a miss really don't do cold!!!

All ready to go now.....must set the alarm for a nice early start.

Lorraine

Archived