Are pirates for kids?

Timbit1234

Hello,

We are cruising on the Carnival Glory after Christmas with our two young kids (3 & 5). I was thinking that they would enjoy the Pirate encounter excursion but I am concerned that it's not the most suitable excursion for kids. Has anyone done this activity? Where there many kids around and did they enjoy it?

Thanks!

We did this in Nov. with our 2, 4, and 7 year olds. I was very disappointed with the excursion. They were late getting us so we were stuck by the immigration shed wasting time and the crew were not that good with younger kids. No adult humor or language though so it was not inappropriate.

It could have been an off-day, but the crew seemed like they were there to get their money and were not working hard to be friendly or enthusiastic about their characters.

At one point they called the kids down and told them to raise their right hand to be sworn in as pirates. My four year old raised his left hand and they singled him out, made him cry and told him they were going to throw him overboard. My kids are not faint of heart and can take some good natured ribbing, but it wasn't really that funny and came across as mean.

You never loose sight of the cruise ship the whole time you're out. The upside is that we met some really nice people from our boat and had some friendly faces the rest of the cruise.

Would not do this again and left negative reviews of this on my Carnival survey. The rest of our cruise was awesome--this was really our low point.:(

My husband took my 14 year old on this in August and they had a great time, but he thinks 3 is too young and they wouldn't have a good time. They might also get upset when people are jumping over the side of the boat and they are really too young for that. A sensitive kid would also have a problem when the kids are ordered to swab the decks. Older kids will definitely enjoy this.

• 2 weeks later...

My children are 5 and 7 and they LOVED it. We went over Thanksgiving and it was one of the highlights of the cruise.....the kids are still talking about it. We all had a lot of fun and my five year old was actually the first one to jump off the plank (which I was nervous about). It is only 2 hours though. We spent the rest of the morning walking around town and then went to Maragaritaville. They had a large water slide that the kids loved and went down a million times. Next time we go to GC I would love to check out the beaches or go to Sting Ray City but I am not sure the kids will let me;)

• 2 weeks later...

Is alcohol served on this? Or is this truly a family experience?

I have seen folks come back from a Jolly Roger excursion who couldn't walk. I wouldn't want to expose my kids to this anymore than that. To be on the actual excursion wouldn't be fun. Don't think I am opposed to drinking - people have the right to have a good time. I'm just not ready to have my kids around it.

Archived