El Yungue Rain Forest Tour

Shirl Girl

I'll be sailing on the Celebrity Solstice Feb. 13 to San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. We'd like to do the El Yungue Rain Forest tour in San Juan but one of our party has a difficult time walking on uneven surfaces. I would appreciate comments from anyone who has done the tour about what the trails are like.

We did this tour after a trans atlantic before a late flight. It was a wonderful way to pass the time. Our tour leader was excellent and entertaining. You ride a small bus to a National Park rest area and walk from there. I don't recall how far it was to walk to the waterfall, but I expect you could stay at the rest area. It takes about an hour to get there from the pier. Have a good time.

We have been to the rainforest. There are areas where the ground is both uneven and damp making walking without proper shoes challenging. If your traveling companion cannot handle this terrain they will still enjoy walking along the paved roads. There are rest areas with benches and tables too.

El Yunque is beautiful and well worth the trip.

We also visited for a day, spending our time on trails higher up the road than the main Park Visitor Center. In that area, stairs and up/downhill sections are common. I agree with alpca1 that the visit would be enjoyable even without walking these trails.

Archived