Things to Do - My Review

niknik

I was in Calica a couple of weeks ago aboard the Sensation. As others have said, don't be shocked to find that the pier is just a big rock quarry. Very ugly.

Right when we got off the boat, we rented a jeep from Executive. He started out asking $80, but we talked him down to $65.

Then we hit the road and drove to Tulum. As ruins go, ruins are ruins and you just look at a bunch of rock formations. The thing to go to Tulum for is the views. They are breathtaking and we got some really great pictures.

While at Tulum, we were approached by a guy named David. He offered to take us (me, BF, DS, BIL) on a private tour. He had a storefront there and was from America and had been living in mexico for about 20 years. I trusted the guy after going into his store front and meeting his SIL who runs the store with him. He offered us a great deal (I'll tell the price later), so we took him up on it.

He provided us with snorkel gear and put advantix film into his underwater camera and we were on our way. He even brought along a cassette tape of classic rock music to jam to. We stopped at a little shop and he filled up his ice chest with ice and HE bought US two six packs of beer. Yummy.

Our first stop was a freshwater sinkhole. The water was bright green and clear. We dove off of the side and snorkeled. It was beautiful. He paid our entrance fee to get into the sinkhole. There were about 10 other people there...all locals...no tourists!

For our next stop, he took us into his village and we met some of the locals. We also got a pitcher of margaritas.

Next we stopped at a private beach. There was only one other couple there. This place was so beautiful.

After that, we went to Dos Ojos cenote where we snorkeled in underground caves. He took pictures of us underwater while we snorkeled. I've never seen anything like it. He paid our entrance fee into the cenote.

Now we're hungry. We tell him to not to take us to a tourist trap. We want some place yummy and cheap. He takes us to a little spot called La Buena Vida. This place rocked! It was right on a bay. There were treehouses that you could climb up into and have drinks. There were swings around the bar. The best part....we ordered 6 entrees and about 16 pina coladas and our bill was $75! The pina coladas were $1.80 each! The food was great. Check it out here: http://www.akumalinfo.com/la_buena_vida.html

After that, we want some cuban cigars, so he brings us somewhere to pick some up.

He offered us the roll of advantix film of the underwater pics he had taken. The cost was $15. We bought it. We drop him off at his house and we head back to the boat.

We hooked up with David at around 11:00 a.m. and parted ways with him at 7:30 p.m. The cost for all of this??? $30 for each of us. I'm not kidding you! This was the best tour I've ever been on. The ship charges over $75 just to go to tulum. By the time we rented the jeep and paid David, we spent roughly $45 for each of us. It was a day to remember.

Check out the photos...

http://www.adventurezoom.com/events/ourcruise0205/calica/index.htm

I have his number and e-mail at home. My boyfriend said that he'll send it to me when he gets home (in about an hour). I'll post it here then. Have a great time!

I haven't posted my review yet for Cozumel, but be sure to hit Mr. Sanchos Beach. It's clean and the mango margaritas are awesome! Check out the pics... http://www.adventurezoom.com/events/ourcruise0205/index.asp

THANK YOU so much. We have been uncertain about what to do in PDC even being this close to leaving! We had settled on Xcaret or Xel-Ha but this sounds right up our alley! I would really appreciate his contact info!! YES!

Jenx, You sound like me. Can't decide what to do. Looks like Niknik had fun. Just love the restaurant! We like getting off the beaten path. Although we are considering Xcaret. I am scared it will be crowded. Anyway, Jenx give us a report when you get back.

Nikki--I just got off the phone with Eddie, Daniel's brother. Did he go with you? He set everything up for me and we are very excited!! We are meeting at the McDonald's in Playa Del Carmen by "the big supermarket" on Tuesday at 9. He told me it would be $50 each for my husband and I and $25 for the kiddo. This still sounds very reasonable to me for all we'll do. Now, we are taking a cab to PDC to meet him. What do you think of this? I feel sort of strange like, "I hope I don't get kidnapped!" I know that sounds silly...how long will it take to get to PDC from Calica by cab and wonder how much the cab will be? Geez I just hope the driver knows where to take us! Anyway let me know what you think...we are leaving at 6 tomorrow morning.

Wow! Thanks NikNik. We were going to do Xcaret but this sounds great. We will be leaving on the Sensation 1/9/06. What time did Sensation leave Calica? On Carnival's IT it says that we leave at 6pm. I was hoping that it would leave a little later.

Our itinerary also said 6 p.m., but we were surprised that day to hear that we didn't have to be on the ship until 7:30....for an 8 p.m. departure. Hopefully you all will get lucky too and get to stay late. I've also been to Xcaret. It's a fantastic and beautiful park, but I think for the money, you can't beat a personal tour...and you see so much more.

Nikki--I just got off the phone with Eddie, Daniel's brother. Did he go with you? He set everything up for me and we are very excited!! We are meeting at the McDonald's in Playa Del Carmen by "the big supermarket" on Tuesday at 9. He told me it would be $50 each for my husband and I and $25 for the kiddo. This still sounds very reasonable to me for all we'll do. Now, we are taking a cab to PDC to meet him. What do you think of this? I feel sort of strange like, "I hope I don't get kidnapped!" I know that sounds silly...how long will it take to get to PDC from Calica by cab and wonder how much the cab will be? Geez I just hope the driver knows where to take us! Anyway let me know what you think...we are leaving at 6 tomorrow morning.

Eddie didn't come with us, but we met him during the day when he was on a tour with some other people. He was really nice. $50 is very reasonable since he's providing transportation for you all once you meet up with him. I definitely understand your reservations, but we met Eddie and his wife and they are great...so have no fear. There are a ton of cabs at the Calica pier. A cab ride to Playa should run you about $15 or so and will take 15-20 minutes. Will you all go eat at La Vida? Be sure to have a pina colada during sunset for me (if ya'll get to stay in port until 8). Have a great time and I want a full report when you return. Did you tell them that I recommended you?

Man it is just so cool that I read your review and made up my mind--finally--at the last minute!

Yes, told him you recommended them. In fact I printed out your review and I'm going to ask them if we can do everything the same! Funny question Niki but what do they do when you all were snorkeling and hanging out? Just wait around or are they looking bored...do they seem to be having a good time too?

I just looked at your pictures, they look great!!! Where were you with the monkeys, they look very cute. That is something I think my Mom and Dad might like.

You are going to be on the Holiday right before we are!!

The monkeys were right outside the Dos Ojos cenotes. It was actually a great story to come home with. The monkey loves to sit on people's heads. He jumped on my sister's head and wouldn't get off. She was quite inebriated and was out of it. We couldn't get him off. The people there said that the monkey liked potato chips. So we went buy chips and gave it to them. My sister bent over to try to get the monkey off and they poured the chips in her hair. We were laughing so hard we almost peed our pants. The monkey was eating the chips right out of her hair. Finally they moved the bag across the yard and he got off of her head to go eat more chips!

Man it is just so cool that I read your review and made up my mind--finally--at the last minute!

Yes, told him you recommended them. In fact I printed out your review and I'm going to ask them if we can do everything the same! Funny question Niki but what do they do when you all were snorkeling and hanging out? Just wait around or are they looking bored...do they seem to be having a good time too?

If you have time, make sure he takes you snorkeling at the lagoon. We were supposed to do that, but we just ran out of time because we spent a lot of time in his neighborhood hanging out there and having margaritas. Also he mentioned being able to take us cliff diving....which I was dying to do....but I had twisted my ankle a couple of weeks prior and it wasn't completely healed so I knew that wouldn't be a great idea.

When we were snorkeling or hanging out he was having a couple of beers with us and snorkeling with us and taking underwater photos for us. Daniel definitely had fun with us.

Will you all be renting a vehicle, or is Eddie picking you up and bringing you around in his vehicle. Where are ya'll from?

Are you the blond with the cowboy hat on? I bought the same swimsuit, I think from Target and have a straw cowboy hat almost just like it too. I can't wait for Jenx to get back. When we went to Jamaica on the Conquest we used a private tour guide and we had the best time. She is a transplanted American living there, like your guys. We can't stand to feel like herded cattle on a mass excursion. I know sometimes you don't have any other options. Anyway thanks again for sharing.

Are you the blond with the cowboy hat on? I bought the same swimsuit, I think from Target and have a straw cowboy hat almost just like it too. I can't wait for Jenx to get back. When we went to Jamaica on the Conquest we used a private tour guide and we had the best time. She is a transplanted American living there, like your guys. We can't stand to feel like herded cattle on a mass excursion. I know sometimes you don't have any other options. Anyway thanks again for sharing.

Yes, that's me and yes, it's from Target. I was sooo happy to get a suit from Target that fit. I usually have to order from Venus to get suits that fit right. I'll bet when you went to Jamaica that you went on a tour with Barbara Barrett huh? I also went on a tour with her when I was there. It was a great tour, but she charged a lot more than Daniel in Mexico. I think Barbara charged around $85 pp.

Yes it was with Ms. Barrett. I think we paid around $85 per person but that included our lunch at a seaside restaurant and she picked us up at 8:00 am and dropped us off with 5 minutes to spare at 4:55 pm. I usually have to get my suits from Victoria's Secret. Target is a lot cheaper and I think just as good of quality.

Yes it was with Ms. Barrett. I think we paid around $85 per person but that included our lunch at a seaside restaurant and she picked us up at 8:00 am and dropped us off with 5 minutes to spare at 4:55 pm. I usually have to get my suits from Victoria's Secret. Target is a lot cheaper and I think just as good of quality.

Our tour was supposed to be with her, but it ended up being with her husband Errol instead. We were supposed to get lunch (probably at the same place), but instead we ended up at a shack eating horrible burgers in the rain. Some things about the tour were great, but all in all I don't think I got what I paid for.

Didn't I see that you have sailed on the Holiday and have a cruise coming up on the Holiday? What do you do in Cozumel? Have you ever rented a vehicle there? Any tips on the Holiday?

I looked at all your pictures and they are awesome but I have one question. Where did you go while in Cozumel? That pool with the waterfall looks wonderful.

Thanks,

Tonya

That was at Mr. Sancho's beach in Cozumel. The mango margaritas are great too!

Didn't I see that you have sailed on the Holiday and have a cruise coming up on the Holiday? What do you do in Cozumel? Have you ever rented a vehicle there? Any tips on the Holiday?

Every time I have been to Cozumel, I have always rented a jeep from Less Pay, at the Hotel Barracuda. I love just driving around and checking out the different beaches. I really like Mr. Sanchos beach and also Paradise Beach.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW ... your excursion with Edventures sounds awesome ... I have been trying to figure out what to do while in Playa Del Carmen and your trip sounded so great that I emailed Edventures tonight. Cant wait to hear from JenX!!

Archived