Kayaking the Straights of Magellan

CRUISENAV8R

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you could give some details as to where you'd be doing this and at what time of year, and for what length of time. Are you talking about renting kayaks at a port, or doing a fullscale expedition, kayaking through the entire Straits of Magellan? If the latter, I'd suggest you do a lot more research before even considering it. If renting somewhere, my main advice would be to definitely have wet suits. The water is very cold. There may have been kayak tours in Ushuaia, but unless one were in good shape and had more time than you'd have during a typical cruise stop, I can't imagine getting far enough to see much. There are boat tours to-- but not onto-- a penguin island (and a combination bus/Zodiac tour that actually takes you onto the island, but which I think takes more time than most cruisers have). The penguin island would be too far for a kayak tour, though there are some islands with sea lions that are closer to Ushuaia.

Archived