Question for GTaylor or anyone else

pikabu

Hello!

Can someone help me?

We're at St. Martin from 8-4pm, and I'd like to go to Maho Beach. From reading the threads, looks like the big planes get in around noon. So I thought we'd explore phillisburg and the area when we arrive, then catch a bus to Maho from Back street. My question is, what time should we leave Maho Beach to get back to the ship in time? How long is the drive from Maho to cruise port? We're the only ship at port that day, so does that alleviate some of the traffic/congestion issues?

Thanks for your input

-pikabu

If you sail at 4:00, then I'd be out of Maho by 2:00, latest, and remember that the buses aren't on a set schedule. They come by as they come by. Also, you'll have to get out to the main road to catch one.

Perhaps consider a bus (if you're adventurous) to get there but return by taxi. Either of the bars should be able to hook you up with one of their friendly taxi drivers if you let them know in advance.

gary

If you sail at 4:00, then I'd be out of Maho by 2:00, latest, and remember that the buses aren't on a set schedule. They come by as they come by. Also, you'll have to get out to the main road to catch one.

Perhaps consider a bus (if you're adventurous) to get there but return by taxi. Either of the bars should be able to hook you up with one of their friendly taxi drivers if you let them know in advance.

gary

Thanks gary! How long is the drive from/to maho from back street?

Do you think if we got there around 11, that 3 hours would be sufficient to see some planes?

Appreciate the input.

If you avoid the morning commute, the trip out should be aroound 30 minutes, but the trip back depends --- it could be 30 or 40 minutes or it could be nearly two hours.

To get a feel for what flights are coming in, check the actual flight schedule/arrival times over at Joyce Prince's website.

Make sure you set the time for the correct period, like noon - 3.

gary

Sorry, just another question!!

I was reading on some threads about a bridge, and specific times the bridge is open... does this pertain to Maho, going back and forth from Phillipsburg? Does that mean, for those times listed are the only times we're able to get to and back... and if we miss those times, then we're stuck on the other side?

Just confused....

thanks again gary.

Yes, the bridge is between Philipsburg and Maho, but it works the other way. The bridge opens at specific times to allow boat traffic to move between Simpson Bay Lagoon and the open water. The rest of the time it allows street traffic to pass.

th_DSCN1068.jpg

(click)

gary

Yes, the bridge is between Philipsburg and Maho, but it works the other way. The bridge opens at specific times to allow boat traffic to move between Simpson Bay Lagoon and the open water. The rest of the time it allows street traffic to pass.

th_DSCN1068.jpg

(click)

gary

ahh okay, so we'd have to plan our trip to maho according to the bridge opening times then? that's good to know..

thanks again, and nice pic :)

Archived