Don't Want To Leave My Dog Behind...

Joe1028

I think Obamacare should be extended to veterinary care. :)

(p.s. no I don't...but don't tell anybody okay? I just want to see the reaction from some people on this board :D )

How did a discussion about dogs get political and somehow come around to talking about Obama?

Wife of dlbuter5/ Valentine's Mom

I really do know how people feel about their animals but they really are not equiped (both the ship and the animal) for such a voyage. My dog has been on 12 Carnival cruises, 1 NCL, 1 Costa, Princess, and 4 RCL.

Its nice to be able to take her but it is quite expensive and time consuming. We never complain because we are glad to be able to take her as she is my life line.

It is hard to go on a curise with a dog. I have a service dog so I know. I have to call every island or port and wait sometimes months for them to send me the paperwork and the amount of the fees and exactely what tests they have to have and how long ago can they have been given. Really can you imagine waiting for reports for some of the port intensive cruises? Then she has to get an international health certificate saying that she is well enough to travel and it runs around $150 each time and must be given within 10 days of leaving and be back 30 days before it runs out. We were going on a btb T/A cruise we basicly got the paperwork the day we left and it ran out the day we got back so they don't last vey long. Also you are subject to having a vet or other public official come on board and give her a once over. There was no charge for this but it sure did eat up sure time. While a service dog has been trained to ignor other animals I doubt where others have. Can you imagine the "play time"?

Also you can not ever be in a hurry to get someplace on the ship because everyone on board wants to talk to her. I usually enjoy talking to people all about what my dog will do but it does make it hard to get to the diningroom on time. Sometime there are also islands that such as if you visit Mexico you can't go to Grand Cayman at all. You are not suppose to leave your dog in your room unattended but I always ask the room steward if we can leave her there to give her a rest no more than an hour and have been given permission.

Really if I had my way I would prefer to travel without my dog becuause it is so expensive, you must have her with you at all times, some people don't like to eat with a dog, the staff and all other pet lovers want to stop you and tell all of their dog tales so travel is slow.

My dog is a very small 10 pound dog who usually can be seen riding around in a rollerboard type luggage made for dogs and everybody has to laugh and ask why. Just one misstep and her leg would be broken. If you see us on board usually Carnival please don't assume that I am getting one over on the cruise line just cause she is small fluffy and usually a foo foo dog. She is not I also have a friend with a tea cup poodle, another has a Pom. Little dogs can be smart too. The only thing is the don't trave on a cruise ship unless all of the paperwork is filled in and paid for.

I would not take my dogs on a cruise even if they were allowed to go. We have taken them on car trips and it is a hassle to feed them, find a place for them to "GO" and also being worried that they will bark or have an accident in the hotel.

NO, never in a million years would I take them on a cruise.

Archived