Beach Names - St. Maarten

Avril

I'm sailing on the Miracle for New Years!! :D 8 days to go!!!! :D :D

I was just wondering, does anyone know what the beach in St. Maarten is called that is right by the airport? You know the one, where the planes fly really low over the beach and there are some really good photo ops? I think the beach is at the end of the runway or something. I'd love to go there and see it for myself. I love planes and airports!! :D Will there be many (or any) flights on New Years Day? We're schedualed to dock in St. Maarten on January 1st.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays) and a very Happy New Year!!!! :D :D

I was just wondering, does anyone know what the beach in St. Maarten is called that is right by the airport? You know the one, where the planes fly really low over the beach and there are some really good photo ops? I think the beach is at the end of the runway or something. I'd love to go there and see it for myself. I love planes and airports!! :D Will there be many (or any) flights on New Years Day? We're schedualed to dock in St. Maarten on January 1st.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays) and a very Happy New Year!!!! :D :D

It's call Maho. See my review below in my signature.

It's called Maho Beach

It's Maho Beach! You got to go and have a beer and watch the planes come in.

Don't stand on the roadside curb when the jets take off because you will get blown off the curb. Also, don't walk on the beach directly behind the jets taking off because you will get a severe sand blast! And, if you've got a cap or hat on - you may never see it again!

We really enjoyed Maho Beach earlier this year. We had a tasty cheeseburger at the bar there, I believe it's called Sunset Beach Bar, or something like that. Please feel free to correct me if I got it wrong. We booked a tour with Bernard, who came highly recommended on these boards, and his partner Slim was the one who actually handled our tour, it was a lot of fun! The cool thing was getting everywhere about 15 minutes before the big cruise tour buses came along, so we always got a beach chair, or a place to sit, etc. :D

What fin means about "Sandblast Beach" is if you stand on the beach behind the jets when they take-off, their exhaust will blow sand so hard that you will get sandblasted! For younger folks it's probably fun. For older folks like me - it stings like the dickens!!!!

I agree about a hamburger and beer at the Sunset Bar. It's a great place!!!

I rented a car and drove there. Took about 20 min and I had plenty of parking behind the bar/ grille. Parking was free. I got there around 10am long before the crowds arrived. It was about a 30 min drive back to pier. I stayed for about 3 hours.

Thanks everyone!! :D

Another question, how easy is it to get back to the ship? I know we can get a taxi easily when getting off the ship but what about going back? Will we have to tell our cab driver when to come pick us up or are there cabs there that you can just grab when you want to go back?

It's a fairly small beach. Neat to see the big planes but be careful. There are big warning signs about NOT standing behind the planes as they are taking off. The day we were there a car had it's entire hood ripped off from the blast and the windshield was broken as well.

P1070032.jpg?t=1292890261

P1070037.jpg?t=1292890261

P1070035.jpg?t=1292890261

P1070031.jpg?t=1292890261

We really enjoyed Maho Beach earlier this year. We had a tasty cheeseburger at the bar there, I believe it's called Sunset Beach Bar, or something like that. Please feel free to correct me if I got it wrong. We booked a tour with Bernard, who came highly recommended on these boards, and his partner Slim was the one who actually handled our tour, it was a lot of fun! The cool thing was getting everywhere about 15 minutes before the big cruise tour buses came along, so we always got a beach chair, or a place to sit, etc. :D

Yes! The cheeseburgers was big, juicy and good! Cheeseburger and Fries was $10.00 but was worth it! We did Bernards also. Awesome Tour & awesome Guide (John)!

Give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship. My friend was caught in a traffic jam and almost didn't get back in time. Check to see if there are any festivals going on too, the cabbies would need to take the long way back if that were to happen.

When I first read about going to St. Maarten and watching planes land I thought people were nuts! It ended up a highlight of the trip!

Give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship. My friend was caught in a traffic jam and almost didn't get back in time. Check to see if there are any festivals going on too, the cabbies would need to take the long way back if that were to happen.

When I first read about going to St. Maarten and watching planes land I thought people were nuts! It ended up a highlight of the trip!

I agree! Traffic was backed up bad around the airport on our way back. Our tour guide (John) with Bernard Tours had to get out of the traffic and take a detour around the the island which added another 35 minutes to the trip back which was cool cause it gave us another photo stop opportunity that we would not have seen and was able to enjoy one last drink of the his famous Rum Punch! :D Seeing those big planes landing over your head and seeing them take off was one of the best highlights of the trip!

390.jpg

Ok, so we'll definatly leave the beach earlier than we think we need to. :)

Are there lots of taxis waiting and available at the beach or should we tell the driver that drops us off what time to come pick us up? And should we let him/her know in ship's time or island time?

Thanks!! :D

Archived