Would you rent a Jeep?

Sharon2U

First let me say we are pretty adventurous people. We are thinking about renting a jeep to go get further away from the port and see more of the island, maybe go to Rum Point, maybe Hell. Should I ask for a GPS in the car or are the roads clearly marked for driving? Most rental companies give you a local map, will this be adequate? We did this in Antigua a couple years ago and it's a good thing I have a good sense for direction because although we had a nice map, most roads were not marked with names.:eek:

First let me say we are pretty adventurous people. We are thinking about renting a jeep to go get further away from the port and see more of the island, maybe go to Rum Point, maybe Hell. Should I ask for a GPS in the car or are the roads clearly marked for driving? Most rental companies give you a local map, will this be adequate? We did this in Antigua a couple years ago and it's a good thing I have a good sense for direction because although we had a nice map, most roads were not marked with names.:eek:

Every time I was there I thought the traffic was awful, and was glad I didn't have to drive. Maybe its better further away from the port.

One thing to consider...they drive on the opposite side from the US. Many people would have a hard time adjusting to this.

We've rented a car twice now and didn't have many problems. The rental car agency does give you a decent map and, if you know what you want to see, will mark the map for you. I wouldn't say the roads are clearly marked, but it's a small island and if you miss your turn, you'll realize it before long and you'll just turn around and head the other way. The first time we rented, we did go out to Hell and some beaches and just meandered around a bit. Last year, we decided to go to Rum Point and stop and see the blow holes on the way. We had a great time doing that. Although they do drive on the left in GC, it is one of the best islands to drive on, as it is flat, rather than mountainous, and has good roads.

We rented scooters when we were there a few years ago, and also headed to Rum Point. I don't even recall having a "detailed" map ... we found it without a problem and really enjoyed our day. You should have no trouble. Have fun! :)

I love renting jeeps and have done so at many ports. One thing to consider though is that driving is on the left and with a jeep the steering wheel is too. :eek:

I have booked a car for this island because from my experience I prefer the right hand steering wheel when driving on the left side.

We'll just have to ride with all the windows open to feel the wind in our hair!

I love renting jeeps and have done so at many ports. One thing to consider though is that driving is on the left and with a jeep the steering wheel is too. :eek:

I have booked a car for this island because from my experience I prefer the right hand steering wheel when driving on the left side.

We'll just have to ride with all the windows open to feel the wind in our hair!

Monicajay, we booked a car well in advance of our arrival specifically with right-hand drive, but when we arrived we were told there were none available. :mad: My husband persisted (he has driven on the left in Australia many times), and they did find us a smaller car than we had reserved that had right-hand drive. Just an FYI. ;)

Monicajay, we booked a car well in advance of our arrival specifically with right-hand drive, but when we arrived we were told there were none available. :mad: My husband persisted (he has driven on the left in Australia many times), and they did find us a smaller car than we had reserved that had right-hand drive. Just an FYI. ;)

Thanks and good to know - I'll put up a good argument too if they don't have my car. I drove in Australia too. No worries mate!

• 2 weeks later...

What agencies have you all used to rent the Jeeps? Initially we were thinking of doing Carnival's 4 x 4 Jeep tour, but realized we'd be paired with 2 more people (it says 4 to a Jeep) and we decided that for the $$, we were just as better off with our own Jeep, exploring at our own pace.

I looked at a private tour, but it is way more expensive than we want to pay for just the two of us and I think we'll be fine driving ourselves (with a map), I just need to figure out which companies to use and where they are located, so I can figure out if its convenient from the port.

What agencies have you all used to rent the Jeeps? Initially we were thinking of doing Carnival's 4 x 4 Jeep tour, but realized we'd be paired with 2 more people (it says 4 to a Jeep) and we decided that for the $$, we were just as better off with our own Jeep, exploring at our own pace.

I looked at a private tour, but it is way more expensive than we want to pay for just the two of us and I think we'll be fine driving ourselves (with a map), I just need to figure out which companies to use and where they are located, so I can figure out if its convenient from the port.

We haven't rented Jeeps, just cars, but we've rented from Avis both times. They are located at the airport, but do have a free shuttle service from the Blue Iguana gift shop, which is on the main drag in Georgetown, near the tender piers. The cashier at the shop will call the shuttle for you if they are not already on their way for a pickup. We prefer going out to the airport because we don't have to drive in town and deal with all the traffic, both vehicle and pedestrian. Just my opinion. ;)

Thanks and good to know - I'll put up a good argument too if they don't have my car. I drove in Australia too. No worries mate!

We are looking rent a jeep also from Cayman Auto Rentals. This seems to be a great choice instead of the excursions.

We rented a Jeep on our first trip to GC. I had a very detailed plan for driving to Rum Point. Here are some things I did not anticipate: #1 - The time difference. Our ship docked at 8:00am, however island time was 7:00am and the Blue Iguana was not open yet. #2 - It is a little further to the airport than I thought and it took at least 1.5 hours to complete the rental process and get on the road. #3- It was kind of tricky finding our way around. We were turned around more than once. Thias island had roundabouts. #4 The traffic was absolutely horrible! #5- There was a sudden, torrential downpour and the streets flooded badly. We had the top down on the Jeep. It was insane! Would I do it again? I don't think so. Just too stressful. I pick and choose the ports where I will rent a car these days. I can't stand the rushing around and fear of maybe missing the ship. GC is not a good port to rent a car IMHO!

We also reserved our car with Avis at the airport. I like the idea of already being out of town. I've dealt with lots of roundabouts on the wrong side but it is a bit tricky for the first few.

Laughed when I read about the torrential rain as we had that happen once in Playa del Carmen. After much fighting with the snap on cover (and each other) we discovered that it had leaks and we got wet anyway:eek:.

Heading to Rum Point but zero rum for me...... If I was on my side of the road I might have a beer or drink with lunch and be comfortable and safe to drive a couple of hours later but on the wrong side I need 110% of my wits about me.

I'm really stuck on trying to rent something to drive to Rum Point. I don't want the stress of going to the airport or getting stuck on the island. The cost for 4 adults is around $30 or so each for the day. I'm thinking of renting from Cayman Auto Rentals instead of Avis. Does anyone know how close and convenient Cayman Auto Rental is from the dock? Experiences? Seems like heading out to Rum Point will be easy once we get out of town a little.

Archived