Rumbaba Charters

kirky

Did the rumbaba in Nov. Great tour. The only thing was once you get to red hook the directions were confusing. We had to call Cap. Bobby on our cell for him to pick us up. Best waiting place go to the dock near the irish bar (Molly McQuires?) and look for a dingy with eyes.

I kind of wish we had done the snorkeling at trunk or cinnimon bay, even though they are touristy,(we were tourists) instead of hawks nest. But hawks nest was nice but i expected more.

• 3 weeks later...

I felt this tour was awesome! I did it back in '07. We took a bus to the marina. When we approached the docks and were looking around a fellow that reminded me of captain ron ( think faded pink shirt and crazy hair) waved us down and picked out us (I guess we looked like tourists) it was the best time I ever had in my life and one of the best lunch. Him and his wife are amazing. The seas were a bit rough that day but they did their best to find good spots. myself and the friends I went with were cool with just sailing around. We did have many hour of snorkling (more then enough). They provided great breakfast and lunch, along with plenty of Rum punch, and great stories. I even tried to tip $20//pp and I was declined. (I felt the price I paid plus the $20 was well worth it) Anytime I am in St thomas. I will book them. Across from the marina is a nice local bar. Decent drinks. Good times!

• 4 weeks later...

I am happy to post a review of my St. Thomas Day Sail on Rumbaba on February 1, 2011 with Captain Bobby and his excellent first-mate, Lori.

We have been to St. Thomas many times on cruise port stops. This year, we wanted to do something different and book a private excursion. After reading great reviews about Rumbaba’s day sail, I exchanged several emails with Captain Bobby and his “behind-the-scenes” first rate first mate, Karen. The description of the day sounded great, and although we had ten people on our cruise that wanted to do this trip, the boat can only accommodate six people, so we booked our private excursion for six of us. There is no doubt that we were the “lucky six”, as this day was incredible from start to finish.

As planned, we disembarked from the Explorer of the Seas, where taxis were waiting for us. Captain Bobby had already told us we would be paying $10 per person each way to get to Red Hook, so we were prepared for that. The large open-air taxis were lined up, and we easily got a taxi to the marina in Red Hook. As we got out of the taxi, there was Captain Bobby waiting for us. He then took us, three at a time, in his dinghy, to the beautiful Rumbaba. As each of us climbed the ladder into the sailboat, we were introduced to Lori, the first mate. Lori’s first words to us were , “would you like to try one of Bobby’s special dirty bloody mary’s and some homemade banana blueberry bread”? (with bananas grown in Lori’s backyard)…….and that pretty much set the tone for what was in store for us for the next six hours.

While Captain Bobby aptly sailed us into the beautiful Caribbean with sails billowing, Lori catered to our every need. Lori took our bags below after having us remove the sunscreen and towels we might need. There was a bathroom (head) below, and other than using the bathroom, there was no need to go below. Lori was right on hand to get anyone what they needed.

During our sailing, we were offered bloody mary’s, rum punch, a drink called painkiller (my absolute favorite – a pina colada type drink on the rocks with nutmeg on top), beer, water, soda, and any other variety of mixed drink you might want. There was no limit to the refreshments.

When we got to a snorkel spot, all of the equipment was included, and while we snorkeled, Karen and Bobby started preparing lunch. However, first, there was an appetizer tray set before us. We all boarded back onto the boat, got into our seats, and then Bobby lowered the fold-down table. Lori brought up the most gorgeous tray of snacks, which included spiced shrimp, fresh veggies, cheddar mango dip, homemade bagel chips…..you get the picture. The presentation was lovely, and we did a great job of cleaning that large plate.

Next came the best meal ever. We had pre-ordered from a choice of four entrees. Four of us had the ahi tuna and absolutely are still raving about it. Two of us had the grilled chicken, and if you, like me, are not a fish eater, this chicken is incredible. It was absolute heaven. We were each given a plate containing a variety of items – our entrée, which Bobby grilled right on the boat, pasta salad, green salad, and marinated asparagus. As we devoured this meal in the shade under a canopy that Bobby put up, there was nothing but turquoise water surrounding us and great music playing on the boat’s speakers. I am sure Bobby could see we were in heaven, and he jokingly said “sorry about the view folks”. I am pretty sure that unless you have had lunch on the Rumbaba like we did, there are not too many people that can say they have had this experience.

After lunch we had the choice of going to a second snorkel spot or taking a long, lazy scenic sail back. We unanimously chose the scenic route, and as we listened to Kenny Chesney, Jimmy Buffett, and other music, we slowly sailed along some of the most beautiful scenery ever. We could sit wherever we wanted – and it was easy to sit up on the top on our towels, feeling the sun and the wind. Throughout the sailing, Lori was giving us tidbits of St. Thomas history and Captain Bobby regaled us with some funny stories. Did I mention he is extremely laid back? I am thinking there is not too much that bothers our Captain, and he was so easygoing and easy to be with all day long. He told us it was “our day” and we would tell him what we wanted to do. We pretty much let him decide (what do we know?). Lori kept the beverages going the entire time, offering different concoctions as the day went on. And did I forget to mention the homemade cookies on the ride back? Yes, to say we were spoiled that day would be an understatement. (and we were even given a laminated paper with the recipes for some of the great food we had on board).

If you are thinking of a day sail in St. Thomas, you cannot go wrong booking with Rumbaba. Sometimes on a trip like this, people will say “there was just this one problem”….. six of us for six hours…. not one complaint. In fact, on the last night of our cruise at dinner, we were all saying the best part of our cruise, and 5 of us said it was this day sail. The other one said that she wanted to say this was the best part of her cruise, but since her husband had not been able to join, all she could think of was how much he would have loved it, so I am going to venture to say that all six of us pretty much chose this as the best part of a 10-day cruise.

I go on a cruise every year, and often St. Thomas is on the itinerary. After the day with had with Captain Bobby, Lori, and the amazing Karen (whom we never met but made most of our food and drinks in advance), there is no way I wouldn’t book this trip again and again. I don’t think you have to have a group of 6, but if you do, you can charter the whole sailboat for a custom day. You would have to contact Bobby for information on smaller groups. Either way, you will find it to be worth every penny.

Bobby, Karen, and Lori - Thanks for making St. Thomas the best day! We will remember this always…..See you next time! Donna, Ed, Mary, Bill, Patti, and Bettyanne.

• 2 months later...

Oceans4 - great review. You definetely make us want to choose this excursion. Sounds absolutely amazing. We are not cruising until next March but I'm planning ahead....

A few questions if you check back.... I know it takes about 30min. by taxi - from Havensight? Did you just get off the Ship and hail a taxi? ( sorry I'm fairly new at booking my own excurisions and hubby gets very nervous if we don't go with the Ship excurision)

We dock at 8am and must be back on board for 3:30pm so do we have enough time? Again, can't make hubby too nervous.

thanks for your help.

:cool:

Archived