Private Driver Tour Guides - Montevideo

SunDapple

Just wondering if anyone has used any of these 3 private tour guides recently?

Ronaldo Steiner

Ricardo Wall

Jaime Gutierrez

They are culled from the wealth of information here on CC but I am not certain how old the information is . If you've recently traveled with one of them please post how the service was, and if you don't mind, the approx. amount you paid for their services. Thanks.

We just got home from a cruise and had a good guide, Sergio Leites, in Montevideo.

Sergio took us on a walking and driving tour of Montevideo. We were short on time and he tailored a tour to meet our goals for our remaining hours. Sergio speaks great English, seemed to know just about everyone in town and was a lively and fun. He will negotiate purchases, cabs, pretty much anything you need to enjoy your time in Montevideo. If you are looking for a guide that is knowledgeable, entertaining and accommodating, Sergio is for you. We travel frequently, rarely hire guides but were glad we did in Montevideo. We later found out several of our shipmates were robbed in Montevideo, so having a local, knowledgeable guide was an added plus.

Segrio's contact info:

email: ToursRus2008@yahoo.com

Cell number: 099 219 680

We travel frequently, rarely hire guides but were glad we did in Montevideo. We later found out several of our shipmates were robbed in Montevideo, so having a local, knowledgeable guide was an added plus.

Segrio's contact info:

email: ToursRus2008@yahoo.com

Cell number: 099 219 680

I have been searching both CC and TripAdvisor for suggestions, but only came up with the above names. I'm really happy to have a "recent" recommendation.

I have heard of some problems in Montevideo which is exactly why I am thinking about a guide.

Thank you so much for your suggestion.

Jacquie

• 4 weeks later...

I wrote Sergio to put him in contact with my Dad who is cruising through Montevideo this month. Sergio gave me an updated phone number (00598-99219-680) and is available at his email address. I also may have had his last name wrong. It's Sergio Rodriguez <toursrus2008@yahoo.com>

Ciao

I recommend walking Montevideo. Some city reps give you a walking tour map as you get off the ship. It took us about 3 hours to do the tour and breifly visit some of the museums, then we had a nice lunch at the market (mercado del puerto).

There were quite a number of police around but do watch for pickpockets - one guy on our cruise got some dirty kleenex pickpocketed.

I recommend walking Montevideo. Some city reps give you a walking tour map as you get off the ship. It took us about 3 hours to do the tour and breifly visit some of the museums, then we had a nice lunch at the market (mercado del puerto).

There were quite a number of police around but do watch for pickpockets - one guy on our cruise got some dirty kleenex pickpocketed.

Ha ha ha ha. The old dirty decoy trick. :D Thanks for the heads up, I'll wear my bra stash.

• 2 years later...

I can also recommend Sergio who we hired for a full day tour. He's fun, very helpful, and will tailor the trip to see what you interests you. Also, if you like, he can take you to a great steak restaurant for lunch -- good beer, wine, and great food.

• 1 year later...

I, along with two Australian ladies, went on a city tour with a Segio who went to great lengths to make it known he was well known on Cruise Critic. At an early stop at a market he waited for us there at a bar. I joined him and had a beer and he had a vodka something. At a stop shortly after (the oxen wagon statue) he turned up with two beers which he drank. Thence at the beach area while we took pictures he lit up a joint,

Then on to El Fogon for lunch (the ladies outvoted me) where, not ordered by us, two large bottles of beer appeared, largely consumed by him, but of course turned up on our not inconsiderable bill.

Add to that the repeated crude and suggestive remarks directed at the two ladies then (if this the same Sergio) then I would exercise caution in taking his tours.

Edited by Tono101
Sergio, not Segio

We have booked her for our trip next January. Her husband Richard deals with the paperwork and is great.

You won't regret the decision!

Do, though, listen carefully to announcements on your ship regarding Uruguay time and ship's time. Our ship did not change to Uruguay time and so the two were an hour apart. One group, booked on the same tour as us, didn't bother with the many spoken and printed warnings and turned up an hour late for the tour. Liz was very patient and waited for them. I would have been less so. And they didn't even bother to apologise...