Tierra del Fuego

CRUISENAV8R

Would like to visit Tierra del Fuego Nat Park, and have seen many posts about cabs from the Port, but no prices. Any help would be appreciated. Private tours as well. The ship's tour is $94, which seems high. Also, will the cab go to "the end of the world"?

Thanks

Would like to visit Tierra del Fuego Nat Park, and have seen many posts about cabs from the Port, but no prices. Any help would be appreciated. Private tours as well. The ship's tour is $94, which seems high. Also, will the cab go to "the end of the world"?

Thanks

the price depends on where you are going and you negotiating skills. Some people pay more some people pay less. Mostly a half a day by cab costs around $40 pp(plus admissions costs) and most cabs are NOT comfortable for 4. and they will go to post office at the end of the world

Jon,

We are using Gerarrdo Germain for our full day tour in Ushuaia. I believe that smeyer also used him. He is charging $260 for the full day, so it is $130 pp, since we didn't want to stuff 3 people in the back of taxi. He will take you anywhere you want to go.

National park tour is boring. Take the Pira Tour to Hammer Island. It's about a 90 minute drive through Tierra Del Fuego. Then a 15-20 boat ride to the island. It's covered in Penguins and you get the walk with them. Access to the island is very limited, so make sure you get on that tour early.

National park tour is boring. Take the Pira Tour to Hammer Island. It's about a 90 minute drive through Tierra Del Fuego. Then a 15-20 boat ride to the island. It's covered in Penguins and you get the walk with them. Access to the island is very limited, so make sure you get on that tour early.

Buellwinkle, thanks! This is new news. Ship's tour or a private company?

Merry Christmas to all!

Do you have a website or email for info on this tour?

• 3 weeks later...
I have been to Ushuaia 2 month ago and I contact to a driver tour guide called Edgar who took us to the national park for u$s50 pp, we were 8 people and he took us with a confortable van. He offered us a better price if we were more people. It was fantastic!! :)

Pplease could i have contact details please for Edgar

Thanks

Sandy in Spain

What do you want to see in the park? You can get there by public bus from Ushuaia. It's not far. Don't just contract with someone to take you "to the park." You may see the entrance area, and perhaps the end of the Pan American Highway (there's a sign). For the best scenery you need to do extra driving, and walking. I'd look at a guide book and make sure that's what you want to do. It may well be. I don't recall seeing any anmals, other than some hares and maybe a beaver, in the park, but I was there late in the season (April). As I recall, the small tourist train that starts just outside the park had stopped running by the time I was there, but it looked very small (like in an amusement park) and didn't appear to cover much of an area in the park, so even if I'd been there earlier I doubt I would have taken it. But that's me.

Some people take a taxi up the mountain in back of Ushuaia and, from there, a ski lift and/or walk, to a small glacier. It's not in the park.

I also took a long tour that went from Ushuaia to a ranch to the east, and then a Zodiac boat out to the penguin island. We walked with a guide on the island, amidst the penguins, for maybe half an hour or more (it was cold and windy, so glad it wasn't more). Unfortunately, since it was April, some of the migratory penguins had already headed north for the winter (some stay in the area). That tour may well be too long for most cruise ship stops, but you can get ino on it, and other tours, in the port when you arrive (there are kiosks near the visitors center). There are boat tours to the penguin island that don't involve busses, and are shorter than my tour, but they just dock right offshore form the island. You observe the penguins from the boat and don't go ashore. There are also boat tours to observe sea lions.

Archived