Voyager out of Galveston

Hi Brit!

First of all congratulations on your wedding. Have been married 41 years so I have tips if you want them!!!!

I love Galveston. It is a very funky resort town. Not like anyother oceanside resort town I have ever been to. It has a lot of things to do depending what you are interested in.

I would start with a tour, either on the "duck" or there is a tram that also goes around town. You are able to pick both up on the seawall. This will maybe give you an idea of what else you would like to do. You can tour a couple of the great victorian houses that you will see on the tour.

If you like history, you need to go down to Pier 21 and see the presentation on the hurricane in the early 1900's. It was the worst natural disaster in the US as far as lives lost. It also gives you a history of Galveston. Also there is a maritime museum and an oil rig you can tour. Right up the street is the Strand. It has shops and bars.

Also Moody Gardens has a lot of different exhibits. You might want to look on the internet. I have never been there, but I know people who rave about it. We always seem to have too much to do out in the sunshine to spend time inside. But since you are going to be there when it could be cold, this is an option.

As far as places to eat. We love Bennos. It is nothing fancy. I think it used to be a fast food place or maybe a Dairy Queen. It is right on the seawall. Shrimp Scampi is to die for. We also like Willie G's that is on Pier 21. Their stuffed flounder is great. Also on Pier 21 is Fisherman's Wharf. They have great scallops. There is another place on the seawall call Fish Tails. They have an appretizer called Shrimp Kisses that are great. Guido's (also on the seawall) has been in Galveston forever. There are people that think it is the best place ever. I think their food is overpriced, but it is good. There is a place off the water called Shrimp and Stuff. All the locals seem to hang out there and anything shrimp is really good.

Hope this helps you. If you have any questions, let me know and I will try to answer. Have a great honeymoon!!!!!

For a great lunch check out Yaga's on the Strand. Here is their website - http://www.yagaspresents.com/index.html. They have the best pizza!

Shopping on the Strand is fun - lots of unique stores to checkout.

We always go to Murdocks on the Seawall which is a great place for souvenir shopping. Murdocks has been there for over 100 years and has been destroyed by a few hurricanes. There is a great display inside which shows it's history. Here is the link for more information. http://www.galveston.com/murdochsbathhouse/

If the weather is good there is a trolley that will take you around the town. It's nothing major but a fun (low cost) way to see the city.

Have a great time!

My hubby and I went on the Voyager for our first cruise, it was also our honeymoon. You guys will have a great time:)

For our 6th anniversary we will be leaving 1/9/11, the day you get back.

We chose the Voyager again. We thought it would be nice to celebrate our anniversary on the same ship we honeymooned on :D...Hopefully we can make this a tradition!!!!! Congrats on your wedding!!!

We are sailing on 1/02 out of Galveston on our first cruise for our honeymoon. We will be getting there on the 31. Does anyone have any suggestions for places to eat or things to do in Galveston?

Have you signed up for the roll call for this cruise? There will also be a Meet & Mingle.

Lots of people on the Roll Call have experience in Galveston.

Moody Gardens is awesome and the guys like the airplane museum out there, too. Anything on the Strand is interesting. If they are open, there are a couple of grand old Victorian mansions that are fun to tour.

Hope to meet you on the cruise. I'll be that sailing.

These people have given you some good advice, so consider Galveston another port of call, with a lot to see and do. They do speak English, mostly, and deal in dollars!!:D

Along with Moody Gardens, see the 1870's Elissa at the Texas Seaport Museum and the amazing history of the 1900's Storm right between Fisherman's Wharf and Willie G's, between 21st and 22nd and Wharf. There's also an excellent RailRoad Museum and the Lone Star Flight Museum at the airport is well worth a visit with many flying ventage planes.

Food wise I agree for the most part, yes Gaido's is pricy for Texas but pretty reasonable for the other seafood coasts. Get Gulf Seafood, as some of the best shrimp, oysters, and snapper in the world come from our bays and offshore. None of this was affected by BP, although it is rumored that our Gulf Tuna get 50 MpG.:D

Galveston is a unique city for Texas or anywhere else for that matter, a barrier Island 3 miles off the Texas Coast it is closest to being a large Key West; both share much in common as eclectic communities. Culturally, Galveston has much more to offer, see the Galveston Opera House, historic homes and do an art walk if you get the opportunity.

Walk around the Hotel Galvez "Queen of the Gulf" for pictures of a lot of Galveton History.

Most of all enjoy your Honey Moon, and enjoy Galveston.

We usually stay in Houston precruise which has 1000s of great restaurants.. One of our favorites is Pappadeux or a Pappas Seafood House restaurant. They have a Pappadeux at the Boardwalk in Kemah if you do a little excursion. Growing up we always went to Gaidos but it is pricey. Have been told by some locals to ck out the place next door, just never have.

Parking, if your hotel doesn't comp your parking for the week, then i would tell you to make an internet reservation at EZ Cruise Parking and get the $5 off by paying now. They are GREAT! Have a ball, we did.

You need to decide if you want to stay on

1. Gulf of Mexico Beach Area (many hotels)

2. Historic Old Town Strand Port Area (Tremont and Harbor House)

3. Bayside Area (2) Moody Gardens Hotels

Tremont and Harbor House are 2-3 blocks to terminal.

Everything is close though!

All hotel/motels are just two or so miles from terminal anyway.

To get bearings of island

Look at FREE internet map

See Galveston.com

Interact and Discover

Maps

Galveston Fun Map

Click on the image of the Galveston Fun Map

Since your question is directly on hotel recommendations

In my opinion

St Luis, Hilton, Moody Gardens, Tremont, Galvez and Harbor House

are the better hotels.

Many other nice ones also though!

Two brand new ones are Country Inn and Sheriton Four Points

All hotel/motels are just two or so miles from terminal anyway.

We live in Galveston!

Just brought Voyager back from Barcelona to Galveston also.

Feel free to ask more questions!

With a couple of days only

There is plenty to do in Galveston/Kemah/Nasa area

Special events in Galveston in fall:

Dickens on Strand (1st weekend in Dec)

Lone Star Biker Rally

Art Walk

Loft Tour

Octoberfest

Greek Festival

Artists Festival

Wild Game BBQ Cookoff

Others (see galveston.com for your dates)

In Winter and Spring

Art Walk

MARDI GRAS

Many others see galveston.com for your dates

and more:

nasa space center

kemah board walk

galveston:

1894 grand opera house (a must see tour)

http://www.thegrand.com

live music and theater events

first class

ghost tours

old town galveston - on strand and post office streets(lots of shops and ice cream, old army surplus store, fine restaurants)

winerys

many live theater venues

museums

antiques and art Galleries

horse drawn carriage rides

galveston historical foundation properties

moody gardens (lots to do) (Imax Theater with lots of educational films)

schlitterbahn water park

airplane museum

restored tall ship schooner Elisa (wonderful)

1900 storm and pirate jean laffite documentary films at port

walks and shelling on the beach

shopping

dolphin watch and port tour

turtle rescue farm behind San Luis Resort

carved damaged trees from storm tour

kite flying on beach

free ferry ride

maritime museum

sea wolf park – wwII submarine and destroyer

many historical and Victorian homes

bishops palace (wonderful)

moody mansion (wonderful)

ashton villa (wonderful)

oil drilling rig museum

large souvenir shop over gulf water

duck tour (amphibious boat)

Galveston.com/ interact and discover / cams

Mariner of the Seas -10/11 - Trans Atlantic

Monarch of the Seas 1/11 - Bahamas

Voyager of the Seas 11/10 - Trans Atlantic

Voyager of the Seas 1/10 - Western Caribbean

MSC Orchestra 12/08 - Trans Atlantic

Navigator of the Seas 5/8 - Mediterranean

Voyager of the Seas 4/08 - Trans Atlantic

Splendour of the Seas 01/07 - Western Caribbean

Caribbean Princess 11/06- Eastern Caribbean

Schooner Mary Day 8/05 - Maine Coast

Grand Princess 04/05 - Western Caribbean

Grand Princess 12/04 - Western Caribbean

Splendour of the Seas 04/04 - Western Caribbean

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by ssb; Today at 01:42 PM.

This isn't exactly about what to do or where to eat in Galveston, but there are several webcams in Galveston where you can watch Voyager (and the Conquest) arrive or depart this upcoming Sunday while you wait for your cruise. Or you can watch them any Sunday...

Cruise & Harbor Cams: LINK

Cavalla244.org Cams: LINK

ABC 13 Streaming Cam: LINK

You can also talk about the ships arriving and departing in my thread: LINK

Archived