Dawn Post-Drydock changes

Obi1

I don't think there is any question about the addition of suites where the current Spinnakers is. One evening at dinner on the 1/1 repo, both the Captain and Hotel Director confirmed it, and they had the plans on board.

Neither had a definitive time frame.

Al

Al - What I figure will happen is that they will start the Spinnaker transformation in drydock in May and take advantage of the ship's long stays in Bermuda to further complete the work by off loading materials and debris there so that every time she comes to Boston they can install a little bit more. Probably the original ground work will be laid during the drydock though to try and get as much done as possible. Such a shame really. :(

Al - What I figure will happen is that they will start the Spinnaker transformation in drydock in May and take advantage of the ship's long stays in Bermuda to further complete the work by off loading materials and debris there so that every time she comes to Boston they can install a little bit more. Probably the original ground work will be laid during the drydock though to try and get as much done as possible. Such a shame really. :(

I would expect this transformation to go quicker than the Star since they probably have any snags ironed out by the previous experience on the Star.

So now the ballroom dancers should conventiently pass away and all we need is a disk jockey in a smaller room? In case you haven't heard, popular TV shows like "Dancing With the Stars" have created a new interest in ballroom dancing in people of all ages. As I recall, the Spinakker Lounge was always packed on big band night and demonstrated that disco may come and disco may go, but the waltz goes on forever.

Finally, The Spinakker Lounge was always packed for the Latitudes cocktail party. Where do they go now, or isn't that important either?

Agree, not to mention game shows/comedians/musicians/dance parties, etc. that were held up in Spinnaker. On the recent Dawn repo (as well as all the other Dawn cruises I've been on), Spinnaker is an important venue - Fire & Ice's Tina Turner/Michael Jackson show, adult comedy, Jose & Patti, Next Stage band come to mind.

Not to mention bingo!:eek::rolleyes:

A great place to view the scenery, take a dance lesson, hang out, read, sleep, etc.

Such a shame to lose these great forward observation lounges.:(

Agree' date=' not to mention game shows/comedians/musicians/dance parties, etc. that were held up in Spinnaker. On the recent Dawn repo (as well as all the other Dawn cruises I've been on), Spinnaker is an important venue - Fire & Ice's Tina Turner/Michael Jackson show, adult comedy, Jose & Patti, Next Stage band come to mind.

A great place to view the scenery, take a dance lesson, hang out, read, sleep, etc.

Such a shame to lose these great forward observation lounges.:([/quote']

Although the Dawn change hasn't been made, the activities mentioned are still happening in the new Spinnaker location on the Star. The only thing missing is the forward observation. I would expect the same to happen on the Dawn.

The possible solution would be to book one of the new suites when they become available.

Although the Dawn change hasn't been made, the activities mentioned are still happening in the new Spinnaker location on the Star. The only thing missing is the forward observation. I would expect the same to happen on the Dawn.

The possible solution would be to book one of the new suites when they become available.

How does booking a new suite take the place of all the activities we enjoyed in the former Spinnaker Lounge and will they be removing all the current Galleria shops aft on deck 7 to create the new Spinnaker Lounge?

Don't let the door hit you on your back as you leave. I like the forward observation lounges on ships too, but whether a ship has them or not isn't going to make much of a difference to me. When there was dancing in the forward observatory lounges, it was much too dark to actually see anything but your reflection in the wall to ceiling windows anyways. During the day, when you could actually see out the windows, the lounge's bar was usually closed; the open bars were outdoors.

Just look at where NCL plans to sail the Dawn and Star in the future. Western Caribbean in the winter, and Bermuda in the summer. Golly, there's nothing to see most of the time on these cruises except the sea. Which can be seen out any window, or better yet from open decks.

Well, well aren't we feeling a little nasty. I now understand completely how others have felt when being bashed on these boards. Sorry for having an opinion opposite to yours. And don't worry, I won't let the door hit me on the way out.

How does booking a new suite take the place of all the activities we enjoyed in the former Spinnaker Lounge and will they be removing all the current Galleria shops aft on deck 7 to create the new Spinnaker Lounge?

The shops on the Star were moved to the area on deck 7 that was the Carousel bar and photo gallery.

I was not referring to the activities in the Spinnaker. I was referring to the observation aspect. The activities in the Spinnaker still occur at the new location.

Agree' date=' not to mention game shows/comedians/musicians/dance parties, etc. that were held up in Spinnaker. On the recent Dawn repo (as well as all the other Dawn cruises I've been on), Spinnaker is an important venue - Fire & Ice's Tina Turner/Michael Jackson show, adult comedy, Jose & Patti, Next Stage band come to mind.

Such a shame to lose these great forward observation lounges.:([/quote']

We have been on Dawn a few times. I recall Jose and Patty and Fire & Ice performed in Dazzles Lounge. I always thought this was a great venue for these performers because they would always "grab" the folks as they walked past the Lounge. The lounge open to the walkway lent itself to passersby who stopped and also to liven up the entire area with live music. This is one of the reasons I love Star/Dawn ships.

Hi Barb...

I enjoyed the Spinnaker Lounge during the day for the view but at night for the shows, I found many of the site lines to be awful. If you didn't get to Spinnaker in plenty of time before a show, you were doomed to the back with no view of the stage. There were times that we had to leave one venue early to get to Spinnaker in time for a good seat so we could see the stage.

Hopefully, the new Spinnaker Lounge is offering better site lines for folks who are not sitting close to the stage.

If the Dawn's new Spinnaker Lounge is located aft on Deck 7 where the Galleria shops are now located, I'm sure the passengers in the aft cabins on desk 8 will appreciate having a disco underneath their cabins?

Below them is usually better than above, which is what a few of the suites and mini-suites have had up to this point (although the actual dance floor was probably forward enough not to be on top of anyone's heads).

I try to always determine what is below me or above me before booking a cabin - however there have been times that I ended up over or below something very noisy ... I guess it's sometimes the chance we take.

This may not be the Thread for this question - but does anyone know if the NY to Bermuda crew will follow the Dawn to the Boston to Bermuda itinerary? How does that work exactly? I am most interested in the entertainment.

Thanks,

Karen

it depends on how far forward. If you are nestled in amongst the ab penthouse suites you will probably be moved. It also depends on how long after dry dock you are sailing.

Pe

i am right next to one and on first cruise after dry dock

i am right next to one and on first cruise after dry dock

If you are in 11062 or 11562, you will probably not be moved as those are not under the workspace above. All of the others "between" the AB's will be.

Who I really feel sorry for are the officers who are in cabins forward of there around the bridge.

PE

if you are in 11062 or 11562' date=' you will probably not be moved as those are not under the workspace above. All of the others "between" the ab's will be.[/color']

who i really feel sorry for are the officers who are in cabins forward of there around the bridge.

pe

i spoke w/ ta they contacted ncl and they said my cabin won't be affected. Thank s for your help

Who I really feel sorry for are the officers who are in cabins forward of there around the bridge.

PE

What not be a better time to rotate off! Haha!

It's not just the Spinnaker move either. That retail space getting moved where Dazzles is now, Blue Lagoon getting moved on Deck 8. Why put the photo gallery where the Blue Lagoon is? Get rid of the photo gallery altogether and go paperless! It's such a waste of paper when they could do it virtually on interactive TV. Are they getting rid of those tiny goldfish bowl Philips CRT TVs in the (lower class) state rooms too? :rolleyes:

I had a few bookings via cruise rewards and canceled and just forgot about it after hearing about this. I hope other veteran star/dawn cruisers do the same! Vote with your wallet against greed.

There will be a spinnaker but in a dark windowless room. That would haunt me as being a crew member in the past. Might as well put the pax in the crew bar. GG NCL! :eek:

Cheers,

Norman

I understand they will be replacing the Spinakker Lounge with additional cabins. I will miss the Spinakker Lounge having spent many hours dancing there and the view from there was spectacular.

I have to honestly say that it saddens me greatly that NCL is replacing the Spinnaker with more cabins. :(

We have cruised five times on the Norwegian Dawn and we LOVE HER JUST THE WAY SHE IS!!!

My family has enjoyed the Spinnaker A LOT!!! From just hanging out on a sea day, enjoying the views, to all the dancing and the games in the evening.......:D

My opinion of NCL has dropped quite a few degrees. icon13.gificon13.gif

The Spinnaker is the only place on the Dawn where you can have a crowd of people dancing. WHERE are people going to dance now? :confused:

It is a sad, poor decision on NCL's part.

I have to honestly say that it saddens me greatly that NCL is replacing the Spinnaker with more cabins. :(

We have cruised five times on the Norwegian Dawn and we LOVE HER JUST THE WAY SHE IS!!!

My family has enjoyed the Spinnaker A LOT!!! From just hanging out on a sea day, enjoying the views, to all the dancing and the games in the evening.......:D

My opinion of NCL has dropped quite a few degrees. icon13.gificon13.gif

The Spinnaker is the only place on the Dawn where you can have a crowd of people dancing. WHERE are people going to dance now? :confused:

It is a sad, poor decision on NCL's part.

Agree 100%. I love the Dawn and was hoping to sail her again. I just talked to some crew on the Epic who just got off the Dawn and they really seemed to miss the Dawn too:(

Archived