NCL vs. Princess - Did we make the right choice?

tkq

I have booked a family suite (2 adults & 2 children) on the Star to Alaska in June. We have sailed Princess 3 times and enjoyed their ships very much (although they are all very similar). We are excited about trying a new line but wonder if we made the right choice with NCL - Star. So, who better to ask than the experts on CC.

As I read reviews it seems people either really enjoy NCL or they where not impressed. While we are pretty easy going, we do like being pampered a bit. So, what are your opinions of NCL vs. Princess? How is the Star? Any advice for first time NCL cruisers?

Thanks much for you comments.

As you are in a suite, there will probably be no comparison to Princess. For us the butler service changes the whole dynamic of cruising...also you'll have Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. You made the right choice IMO. If it were balcony vs. balcony on the two lines, I'd go with Princess...suite vs. suite, NCL hands down.

I have booked a family suite (2 adults & 2 children) on the Star to Alaska in June. We have sailed Princess 3 times and enjoyed their ships very much (although they are all very similar). We are excited about trying a new line but wonder if we made the right choice with NCL - Star. So, who better to ask than the experts on CC.

As I read reviews it seems people either really enjoy NCL or they where not impressed. While we are pretty easy going, we do like being pampered a bit. So, what are your opinions of NCL vs. Princess? How is the Star? Any advice for first time NCL cruisers?

We took the Princess Sapphire to Alaska and the NCL Sky to the Bahamas. We really enjoyed both cruises. But they were very different so they are hard to compare. The Sapphire was pretty new when we cruised on her, and the Sky is one of the older ships in the NCL fleet. The Sapphire was larger, the Sky smaller. Alaska for 7 days vs the Bahamas for 4 days, etc.

We had interior cabins on both, so nothing like a suite. The Princess cabin was a little larger and better laid out. From what I have read, the Suite life on NCL is great.

It seemed like there was more to do in the evening on NCL. The food was better on Princess, but still plenty good enough on NCL. I did Anytime Dining on Princess and enjoyed it. I also like the Freestyle dining on NCL. It was easier to walk in without a big wait on NCL. I really enjoy not having to dress formal to eat in a dining room on NCL.

I think things vary from ship to ship and itinerary to itinerary. I've read good things about the sun, so you should be good.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

We've done both lines. Did Princess to Alaska and Panama Canal, NCL to Bermuda and Caribbean. You will love the "suite life" on NCL so I don't think you made a mistake. We did "anytime dining" on Princess and ended up eating in the buffet most of the time because of long waits, on NCL we have never waited more than 10 minutes (and then, only once). I think both lines are good. Loved Alaska. Have a great trip.

We will have a great comparison opportunity in Feb. We are doing a back 2 back the first 7 days on NCL Star then get off and right onto the Sapphire Princess same day. We are doing the same Mex Riv itinerary. I know it sounds strange but we love to cruise and make a great time wherever we are at. Seven days was just too short a time. We always wanted to try NCL and we had a pre paid deposit for Princess that was going to run out so...what the heck. I am sure we will love both!!!

Having traveled on both lines, I think you probably made the right choice by being in a suite. Anything less, Princess would be the choice. NCLs booze policy is the only drawback. They will charge you $15 for every bottle of wine you bring on whether you drink it in your room or in the restaurant. Princess allows unlimited wine and champagne legally and doesn't much hassle you with beer or liquor in your luggage. (no naughty room) The drinks are more expensive on NCL and I find the food better on Princess, but you, being in a suite, can eat breakfast and lunch in Cagney's which helps. If you don't drink, you have it knocked.

I have sailed on the Regal Princess, Grand Princess and the Caribbean Princess (twice) and also have sailed on the NCL Star. I have basically switched over to NCL because I really enjoy the freestyle concept. The Star is a great ship, the main dining rooms on both lines are similar in their elegance. NCL is a bit more laid back, but it really makes for a great vacation... Opportunities to be pampered are there if you want them on NCL.

I think you are going to have a great time on the Star in the family suite. The suite is quite large and you will get all the suite perks, like eating at Cagneys, priority embarcation and dis-embarcation, the butler, the concierge, a bottle of welcome bubbly in your room, plus those great picture windows. Enjoy your NCL cruise experience. My opinion is that you make your own cruise great, so have fun!

You will have a good time on either. We love Princess ALOT but have alot of time with NCL !!

One more question, how much can you use the pools on the Alaska cruise with the cooler weather?

I have done Alaska five times, all though the season. You cannot predict the weather on this route. Sometimes it was so sunny that people were tanning around the pool and other times our rain jackets got a lot of use. Go prepared for any weather is my advice.

Archived