State room: "GTY" on the SUN in January

JKW2010

we finally got our edocs for our cruise next month on the SUN, but we didn't have room numbers on our luggage tags that we were sent, and our edocs say our room number is "GTY". What does this mean?.. do you think this means we could be upgraded?? We booked the cheapest interior room, but I see that the interior rooms are now sold out, but the window rooms are not. What do you think the chances are that we could be upgraded?? Maybe we'll get crappiest room that no one else wants? If so.. are we in trouble.. how bad is the worst room? This is our first cruise so I don't have any idea about how this works. Any help would be appreciated! thanks!

It is possible you might be upgraded, but not necessarily - so certainly don't count on it. We booked a guarantee for the Sun for this April at an incredibly low price and just got assigned. Not what we had hoped since we booked a full year ahead, but on a better deck than we might have gotten for that price! In our experience and from what I have read here on Cruise Critic, it seems that NCL tends to give the best upgrades to first time NCL cruisers, perhaps because they want repeat cruisers! We booked a guarantee inside on our first NCL cruise and ended up in a balcony cabin on the Pride of America in Hawaii! Since then we have NEVER been so fortunate, but there were extenuating circumstances on that Hawaiian cruise as our original sailing date was cancelled and that was a last minute re-book for later dates so NCL made it up to us that time, I guess. It has never happened like that again for us on our next 7 NCL cruises, however.

It seems that upgrades above a given general category (ie, inside to ocean view) are unusual. Most likely you would get an inside cabin above the category that you booked but still an inside. There are some insides that you probably won't like, but so much depends on what each passenger likes or not (ie location near elevators is a plus for some, minus for others) Most insides back up to a central corridor that can be busy or noisy, but not constantly. Insides way forward on lower decks will be noisy if the ship anchors.

I think that mindset when booking a guarantee has to be "I will be happy with whatever I get, and maybe super-happy if I am lucky".

Archived