????Emerald Lake?????

lmmn

Hi Immm, I never actually thought of it that way and I am an avid fisherman too. We will be renting a car (4 of us) in Skagway and going past Emerald Lake to Whitehorse as our turnaroud which is roughly 30 or so miles from the lake. We are using this trip as sightseeing and taking notes for possible future Alaska excursions, I do know that you can do a Horse rental ride around the Lakr but we are just taking in the scenery. We are leaving Seattle on the Diamond, May 14th so there should be quite a bit of snow yet to make for some good photos. When is your cruise.....Roy

We too will be renting a car in skagway and driving to Emerald Lake. We are doing this to see the beautiful scenery and to be able to take our own "stops" along the way. Let's not forget to mention that this will be a "cheap" excursion for my family of 3.

This may seem like a silly answer, but Emerald Lake is just a tiny decorative lake. Partly that's because if the bottom is disturbed by recreational use, the incredible colour will disappear (or at least be greatly reduced). Occasionally you'll see canoes from Spirit Lake Lodge there, but it's really too small for canoeing and there are no fish because it bottom-freezes in the winter. Maybe it should be called Kodachrome Lake?

Murray

This may seem like a silly answer, but Emerald Lake is just a tiny decorative lake. Partly that's because if the bottom is disturbed by recreational use, the incredible colour will disappear (or at least be greatly reduced). Occasionally you'll see canoes from Spirit Lake Lodge there, but it's really too small for canoeing and there are no fish because it bottom-freezes in the winter. Maybe it should be called Kodachrome Lake?

Murray

Thank you for your reply. I did not realize the lake was so small. Looking forward to our scenic drive, and seeing the decorative Emerald Lake.

We too will be renting a car in skagway and driving to Emerald Lake. Let's not forget to mention that this will be a "cheap" excursion for my family of 3.

and even cheaper for our family of 4. Plus, it will take several hours. That same day we are going on helicopter/dogsledding....yikes x 4!!!! I know it will be great though!

We did this drive the first week of June 2003. We left Skagway about 9:30 AM and returned aroung 2:30 PM. We saw bald eagles and 6 bears. We stopped in Carcross before going on to Emerald Lake. There is a Lodge at Emerald Lake where you can cannoe, how ever there are already bookings in advance made by the Cruise Ships. At Emerald Lake Lodge they claim to have the best Apple Struddle in the Yukon and I think they are right. I tried their specialty and I have to admit it was pretty good. Don't blink on the way back. There is the worlds smallest desert and if you don't pay attention you will miss it. Great Scenic drive. Enjoy it. Tim and Cathy

Norwegian Sky Alaska 5/03

Norwegian Star Hawaii 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas Meditterean 05/04

How long of a drive is it from Skagway to Whitehorse/Yukon?

It's 112 miles, about 2.5 hours each way. I don't recommend it, for two reasons: Whitehorse at first glance is nothing special, and a day trip doesn't allow you to see the great details of the town ( http://explorenorth.com/library/communities/canada/whitehorse2.html ); and the scenery past Emerald Lake is pretty boring compared to what you've seen up to that point. I think your day is better spent between Skagway and Carcross.

Murray

• 3 weeks later...

Archived