Cruise coming up-at first excited-now freaking out

saintbernardlover

Let me preface this by saying that if it wasn't for all of the helpful info I have found on CC, I would never have ventured back into the world of cruising after I became disabled. We booked back in July 2010 for a 2011 cruise and were able to get a HC cabin on RCI Voyager Western Caribbean and then I jumped thru the medicare hoops to get a Pride GoGo HD scooter. Now that our sail date is approaching, I'm really getting nervous. My main concern is getting on an elevator. Also, what if there are food trays or luggage in the hallway? Embarkation, Disbarkation? Avoid the buffet areas and stick with the main dining hall? Am traveling with my husband, daughter and my husband's family (total of 8) and don't want to be a drag, but want to be independent and let them do their own thing. But how to get on an elevator or thru crowds or thru littered hallways if you don't have someome running interference for you? I need a cruise critic valium to help me calm my anxiety.

I use a Pride GoGo, and haven't had a problem. At times, you may have to wait for an empty elevator, but that's not a problem. Most people are very polite and will make room for you.

Don't ever deny yourself anything. The buffet is really quite easy. I've had crew people practically trip over themselves trying to help me in the buffet. If I'm with my sister, she'll carry my tray and help with the food items.

You generally won't find food trays in the hallway and I'm not sure where you got the idea of littered hallways, but that most definitely doesn't happen. If someone is keeping their scooter or wheelchair in the hall, just call guest services and report it---you're not supposed to store them in any hallway. As for the luggage, thats only on the last night, and I had no problem getting by them. I would highly suggest removing the arms from the scooter as it makes you more mobile.

As for embarking and disembarking, it's a snap. There should be a line for disabled when you check in, so that's easy.

I use a Pride GoGo, and haven't had a problem. At times, you may have to wait for an empty elevator, but that's not a problem. Most people are very polite and will make room for you.

Don't ever deny yourself anything. The buffet is really quite easy. I've had crew people practically trip over themselves trying to help me in the buffet. If I'm with my sister, she'll carry my tray and help with the food items.

You generally won't find food trays in the hallway and I'm not sure where you got the idea of littered hallways, but that most definitely doesn't happen. If someone is keeping their scooter or wheelchair in the hall, just call guest services and report it---you're not supposed to store them in any hallway. As for the luggage, thats only on the last night, and I had no problem getting by them. I would highly suggest removing the arms from the scooter as it makes you more mobile.

As for embarking and disembarking, it's a snap. There should be a line for disabled when you check in, so that's easy.

Thanks Kitty9, just the pep talk I needed!

My wife's 3 wheel Go Go will do a circle in an empty elevator and she likes to do this. Otherwise, I have found if I swivel the seat a few degrees it is much easier to back out of an elevator.

Does your wife swivel so she has a better back up view? Or is it you on the scooter backing it up for her? The reason I ask is because I'm short and when I swivel on the gogo, my feet don't touch the ground. ?????:eek:

I always make sure I pull in straight if possible and then can back up straight. I also found if the carts are in the halls, I get past them better if I remove the arm rests and leave them in the room. Most handicapped cabins are located at the elevator lobby areas and you usually don't have to travel too much in narrow halls. Always double check how to exit the ship as some of the ramps are better for walkers and scooters.

The horn of these units is rather quiet in crowds so think about a squeeze horn. It is lots of fun too. Bring a fabric (Wallmart) poncho in case of rain, it will cover you and the scooter just fine both on and off the ship. Most of all have the best time of your life.

We travel as a group of 10 with Mom in a scooter and DS in a wheelchair. One of the best parts of having a large group is that they DO run interference for you. It was a great game to the grandkids to see who could get an elevator first, carry Grandmas tray, or when things are crowded we would use our numbers to snag an elevator when others tried to crowd. The scooter is fast enough that you won't slow anyone down, and you get to be the "carrier of stuff" (a backpack that fits over the seatback is a must-have) Have a great time, relax and enjoy!

Another tip for getting an elevator - push both up and down buttons and see what arrives. The elevators tend to get full around the dining and show times. Sometimes it's easier to catch an elevator going up and wait for it to change directions even though you want to go down. Also, you'll sometimes run into 3 or 4 elevators in a row that are packed then one will arrive that is completely empty.

The elevators in the Centrum tend to be the busiest. It's usually easier to catch one of the forward elevators, unless a show in the theater is just starting or ending.

Since you are with a large group, it might be easier for some of them to take the stairs (if they are able) and have just you and a person or two take the elevator. I've helped my mom catch an elevator a few times then taken the stairs myself. I'll meet her at whatever deck we are going to. Most of the time the elevators are so slow that I beat her there. :D

There is usually a host/hostess at the door into the Windjammer. If you want some help with carrying plates or drinks, let that person know. S/he will find someone to help you. Some staff have been berated when they offer to help disabled people who prefer to be independant. Now many are shy about offering to help for fear of causing offense. They are happy to help if they know you are receptive. I can understand since I've been cussed at for offering to get things off high shelves or holding doors open for people who appear to be having problems. A simple "no, thank you" would suffice.

You might encounter a few rude people, but don't let them ruin your cruise or upset you. My mom usually just ignores them. If someone is helpful, like holding the "open door" button on the elevator so you can get in or moving a cart so you can get down the hall, please thank them so they'll be inclined to help the next person who needs assistance.

Since you are leaving from Galveston, are you going early or arriving the day of your cruise? If you are arriving early, Gaido's and Fisherman's Wharf offer some good seafood (if you like seafood and need a place for a meal). My husband and I spent the weekend before Christmas in Galveston. We ate lunch on Sunday at Fisherman's Wharf which overlooks the Carnival dock. We watched the passengers getting on the ship and were jealous because we weren't going. :( Voyager docks further down the pier but we saw that ship as we walked around The Strand area. We had supper at Gaido's the night before and it was fantastic, but it's along the Seawall on the opposite side of the island from the pier.

If you don't want a meal in Galveston, get checked in, eat lunch onboard, and drop off your carry-on bags in you cabin. If you still have a little time, walk over to La King's Confectionary on The Strand and get some ice cream. It's like an old-fashioned soda fountain that serves some really good ice cream, shakes, floats, etc. It's only about 3 blocks from the Voyager dock. We stopped by after lunch on Sunday and saw several cruise passengers in there. Some of them hadn't checked in yet or had just got off the ships and were carrying their luggage.

Saintbernardlover: We both have scooters and either one of us or both may be scooting depending on our condition and sea conditions that day. After many cruises doing most everything, a good cruise is now when we only get the scooters our for ports that we can scoot at.

Let me preface this by saying that if it wasn't for all of the helpful info I have found on CC, I would never have ventured back into the world of cruising after I became disabled. We booked back in July 2010 for a 2011 cruise and were able to get a HC cabin on RCI Voyager Western Caribbean and then I jumped thru the medicare hoops to get a Pride GoGo HD scooter. Now that our sail date is approaching, I'm really getting nervous. My main concern is getting on an elevator. Also, what if there are food trays or luggage in the hallway? Embarkation, Disbarkation? Avoid the buffet areas and stick with the main dining hall? Am traveling with my husband, daughter and my husband's family (total of 8) and don't want to be a drag, but want to be independent and let them do their own thing. But how to get on an elevator or thru crowds or thru littered hallways if you don't have someome running interference for you? I need a cruise critic valium to help me calm my anxiety.

I use a Pride Go Go

Re: Hallways: I find that if the arm rests are removed I have no trouble getting down the hallways when service carts and luggage are out. In fact on my cruise this past September the Cabins Stewarts told me I ould never get down the hallway and they were surprised to see that I did.

Re: Elevators: I find if I go to the farthest elevators away from the central action I generally do not have a problem. Another trick is to get on the elevator even if it's not going in the direction you want. Remember if it goes up it must come back down.

Re: Embarkation and Disembarkation: The pride go go has a very low clearance of about only 2" and does nolt do welll on very steep inclines. Depending on the incline of the ramp and the ramp connections the scooter might get hung up at some points. DO NOT FORCE THE SCOOTER . You are better to get off the scooter and place the scooter in neutral and have someone roll it over the bumps. Otherwise you might just damage the scooter. Better yet if you can walk up all the way ujp the ramp than have a cruiseline person roll the scooter up while in neutral.

Re; Windjammer: there will always be someone there to assist you.

The horn of these units is rather quiet in crowds so think about a squeeze horn. It is lots of fun too.

Many able bodied have told me they do not appreciate being honked at and find it rude. It gives them the wrong impression like.....get out of my way I rule. My mom is a scooter user and able bodied talk openly to us about this.

OP do not worry. The best thing is you are traveling with your family and they will help you a lot. Help you at the buffet and help with elevators if need be. Please be careful backing out of the elevators. The stairs are usually right behind the elevators. I have nightmares about scooter users backing out and going down the stairs. Just an FYI. :-) I think you will find out all your fears will come to not. Please come back after your cruise and tell us all about the great time you had.

Many able bodied have told me they do not appreciate being honked at and find it rude. It gives them the wrong impression like.....get out of my way I rule. My mom is a scooter user and able bodied talk openly to us about this.

OP do not worry. The best thing is you are traveling with your family and they will help you a lot. Help you at the buffet and help with elevators if need be. Please be careful backing out of the elevators. The stairs are usually right behind the elevators. I have nightmares about scooter users backing out and going down the stairs. Just an FYI. :-) I think you will find out all your fears will come to not. Please come back after your cruise and tell us all about the great time you had.

Thanks, I will definately post when we get back, hopefully with photos!!

You will be fine and once you are back you will wonder why you worried so much. But I cannot say much, I am a total worrier haha.

I have had housekeeping carts in the hallways to cause me issues. There were two ways to get to our cabin and if I used the closeset one, it was constantly blocked by housekeeping carts.

But if it does happen, I would suggest you just talk to Guest Services if it is a problem.

DH and I had a wonderful cruise on Freedom of the Seas last May, and we're going on the same ship on Jan. 9 again -- him in his wheelchair and me being the Pusher. We thought about renting a motorized wheelchair for this upcoming cruise, but we decided (I decided ;)) that he and all the other passengers on the ship are safer with him in a manual chair, even if it can be a bit difficult pushing him over carpeted surfaces.

I agree with the advice of other posters about taking the first elevator that comes along with room for you, even if it's a down elevator and you want to go up. So you go down first, it's not a big deal, eventually it goes back up again.

Before we went on that cruise last May, I was very nervous about getting us onto elevators because I had read some posts about other passengers who rudely elbowed their way onto elevators before wheelchair and scooter passengers who had been there first to wait for the elevator. I was afraid we'd run into people like that on our cruise. Nothing could have been further from the truth! Everyone we ran into (not literally) on our cruise was very polite and friendly to us, careful to keep their kids out of our way, standing back while allowing us to get on elevators first. I think it helps if you are polite yourself, smile, make eye contact, don't try to shove in front of people, don't get an attitude of entitlement. Friendliness begets friendliness. I'd like for the other passengers to think of us as "those nice people with the wheelchair."

If you're behind people and they don't know you're there because your scooter is so quiet, I wouldn't recommend blowing a horn. I think that would be rude and would startle people. I would just say something like, "Excuse me, I don't want to startle you, just want you to know I'm behind you."

What we usually did at the buffets (and what we'll probably do again on this upcoming trip, because it worked so well for us) was I'd park DH at a table for two, then I'd go and see what all was available and make a mental note of the things I thought DH would like best, come back and report to him and "take his order," then go get his food, bring it back to him and then go and get mine. It was much easier than trying to get him in and out of lines, with a tray, in his wheelchair.

You have received great advice from all those that have posted. My husband has been a full time wheelchair user since 1970 and have been cruising for several years. For the last two years we took two cruises and this year we will be on three cruises ending the year with a holiday cruise with the kids and grandkids. If we are not traveling by air, we take both my husband's manual and motorized chairs. Cruises are by far the easiest vacation you can take if you are a wheelchair rider. Rather than wait in the dinner line or at the elevator at dinner time, we leave our cabin right at the start of dinner as it never takes long to get to the dinning room. The buffets are never a problem as staff usually are there asking to assist. Our biggest challenge is educating the staff to ask my husband if he needs assistance and not grabing his chair. You will have a great time.

Archived