Grand Princess. The refit.

haggis

Talking of shopping cart handles can someone explain this to me?

Differences in shipyards, perhaps? I'm just guessing, but it might not have been possible for Mitsubishi to build the ship as tall as they can in Italy. IIRC, the hull dimensions for the two Japan-built ships are slightly different, too.

The structural issues on Grand Princess have been known for some time and I think were even mentioned on this site when it became known that Diamond and Sapphire would have the lounge in a different location.

• 3 weeks later...

When we cruised on the Grand in June, we found that Skywalkers was virtually empty most of the times we went up there. The CD made several jokes about the fact. Pity really, as I really liked it. Especially spending some quiet time up there on sea days, relaxing with a book and a G&T :D

Still, if it's not being used then there's not much point in keeping it.

Talking of shopping cart handles can someone explain this to me?

Caribbean Princess's picture on the Princess site shows she also has the cart handle Skywalkers, but she also is the first of the super grand class with an extra deck of cabins. She debuted around the same time as Diamond Princess which only has the same number of cabins as the early grands, BUT she has her Skywalkers further forward like the later super grands; however Caribbean's profile in the UK brochures is shown as being identical to the other super grands.

I wonder why Diamond and Sapphire had the shopping cart handle amended whilst Caribbean did not, I know D&S were built in Japan while all the others were built in Italy, but presumably their designs were being finalised around the same time?

While they are all sub-classes from the original three, they are not all identical to each other and each having something different from the others

Original:

Grand

Star

Golden

are identical

Diamond & Sapphire identical sisters - Have a different set up of restaurants, then the original trio

Caribbean is her own sub class - Close sister to the original three but built for the Caribbean(no retractable roof for the pool), additional deck, etc

and finally the Crown, Emerald & Ruby are identical - Have basically everything, and Vines(correct me if im wrong) was first used on these sisters

Archived