Pack our Bags for us Please, 50 y/o couple

nhcpl57

To eliminate the bringing of a bulky suit/shoes for my DH, he rents the tux/shoes. The tux comes with two shirts, one for each formal night. I wouldn't want to miss formal nights. I bring 2 short cocktail dresses with same dress sandels for both outfits. We manage to do a 8 night Carribbean cruise with one check bag and one carryons each for both of us. we make sure we have enough clothes to get thru 2 days in our carryons in case our luggage is delayed. Good luck!

Four pieces? Way too much! If you're not going formal, less to pack. Slacks/chinos for hubby; slacks/capris for you. Some assorted color coordinated shirts/tops to match, one pair of heels, sandals, shorts and swimsuit.

For a Caribbean cruise I usually only bring a carry on (19") and I pack for the two formal nights. I always have a wee bit of room to pack a few things to bring home.

Plan out each day and make sure that you do mix and match in a color scheme as noted above. There is laundry on board if needed or you can send it out if you don't want to spend the time.

Good luck.

Karen

We bring a single use laundry soap packet, a dryer sheet and some quarters. on our last sea day I will take and hour or so (while DW relaxs on the balcony with a beverage) That give us clothes for the next couple of days and most of our clothes come home clean and ready to put away

Depending on your stateroom, I'm not sure where you'll put four suitcases. I guess it depends on the size. We check a garment bag that hangs, and our x-large 360° wheelie. But we always carry on two wheelies as well as our personal items. We leave one personal item empty till the night before, so anything we remember at the last minute gets tossed in that personal item.

Also, the fewer items you have to handle through the long security line, the better. On our last cruise, we had to pour out our water before going through security. Which flustered my DH because it was secured in our knapsack.

If the airlines lose your luggage (which happened on our Alaska Cruise), you'll be much happier with a change of clothes, PJs, etc. Before the cruise, I was feeling pretty silly packing all that stuff in my carry-on, but 12 hours later, I felt justified. The same goes for snacks, since if the flight goes as scheduled, you'll get no free snacks on board. If you're lucky, you can purchase a sandwich for $8. And of course, all medicine, electronics, etc.

We have three pairs each of quick dry underwear in our carry-ons, and wash them in the sink if needed. But on Princess, they do have self-service laundry facilities!

I took two pairs of Rockports, no dress shoes. Any strange looks received my comment, "I left my good shoes at home." Formal portraits never include the shoes anyway. I also wear the same formal both nights, and the rest of the time, it's smart casual.

We take our own pillows in the checked luggage, and a big first aid kit. Be sure to cross pack in case one suitcase gets lost and the other makes it. Plan your clothing to a single color range so you can mix and match.

One last thought, don't check anything you can't stand losing.

Depending on your stateroom, I'm not sure where you'll put four suitcases. I guess it depends on the size. We check a garment bag that hangs, and our x-large 360° wheelie. But we always carry on two wheelies as well as our personal items. We leave one personal item empty till the night before, so anything we remember at the last minute gets tossed in that personal item.

Under the bed.

I've gotten to where I pack based on how heavy a garment is or how much it wrinkles. I have a lovely cocktail dress I don't take anymore because it's so heavy and needs a separate pair of shoes.

I stick w/ simple colors for shorts, slacks and T's = black, olive green and tan. Then I can mix and match everything. I take 5 bathing suits. Yeah, excessive, I know, but I wear my bathing suits more than anything else on the ship and I like being able to switch around.

For shoes: 1 pair of black sandal/heels. They go w/ everything, slacks, dresses, etc. 1 pair of Merrill sandals (super comfy) and 1 pair of flip flops

I also wear my workout tennis shoes on the airplane. A bit of a hassle going thru security but they're heavy and I don't want to carry them.

We take 2 large carry-on backpacks (Rick Steves brand, fit just fine in the overhead bin and have tons of room) a roller bag that we check and 2 small carry-ons. I also use space bags to condense the bulk to fit more in our bags.

The only reason we need 3 bags total is because we also take snorkel gear, ipod speakers, insulated mugs, nalgene bottles and a collapsible cooler. Sounds like a lot of junk but we always use it all and for us it makes our cruise experience better

We were going to skip the formal clothes for our May med cruise but decided to pack my DH suit and shoes. We enjoyed the better dinners and glad we did not have to go to Horizon Court. 'Just did the same for the Dec Golden Hawaiian cruise ~ there were three formal nights! We take two 26" suitcases, a small carry on (which includes a change of clothes in case our luggage is lost) and a computer rolly cart that goes under the seat. The only thing I will take next time is more underwear as it weighs nothing and more meds as we both had colds!

We really cut back on luggage for our recent Southern Caribbean Cruise. I had all of my clothes (minus some shoes) in my carry on. Hubby had many of his also in check in plus we left enough room to carry on some bottles from Duty Free'

Highlights of our packing style included:

For me:

5 sun-dresses (casual, versatile ones that looked great as a bikini cover up for beach walks or port stops)

3 cocktail dresses

Tunic , cotton sweater(s) and leggings for watching MUTS, or cooler days at sea

Windbreaker

3 bikinis

Sandals: really good walking ones (skip sneakers, these look better and more comfortable), party sandals, frivolous sandals, beach sandal , flip flops, ballet slip ons (ok I packed too many shoes, but I put them in large shared check in case)

Toiletries, jewelery, beach towel/ bags , snorkel, water bottles, books, MP3 stuff/ speakers

For DH:

Navy Blue Blazer (worn for embarkation)

2 longs, 4 shorts (he didn't wear them all)

3 swim trunks

Multiple shirts (he stated he brought too many)

Sweater/ windbreaker

Magazines/ books/ Tilley hat/ shave gear-toiletries/

3 pairs shoes/ sandals

water shoes / 2 umbrellas; don't ask, it's too hilarious to explain why he wanted these umbrellas while travelling in S. Caribbean

We purposely tried to cut back on our luggage yet still have the formal choices and a few indulgent items.

The leggings worked under some of my casual sun dresses with cotton sweater and were more versatile than a pair of shorts/ capris. Sandals pack easier and are lighter than a sneaker. The sundresses were light and perfect for our ports- and much dressier than a typical cover up. Formal nights were really fun to dress up and added much to the experience. DH looked amazing in his blazer and khakis.

Next time DH stated he would bring fewer shirts and shorts. I will strive to fill only my carry on- shoes and all plus leave room for carry on wine.

We decided our extras were much neede: A choice of swim suits is essential for port intensive cruises, so is the water bottle (rum punch for beach walks) and extra beach bags. Maybe we will skip the umbrellas :D Enjoy your cruise!

The only way I have been able to edit is to actually write down what I will wear each day, on board, on tours, for the evening. By colour coordinating, it allows me some choice to switch things up and I never take any top or bottom unless it can be worn with two things.

Since I have began to write down day by day list for myself and hubby, I've really cut back on the clothes...and especially the shoes. I use my list while onboard, so that when using my mix and matches I don't end up wasting time on making decisions. We pack all heavier items in our carry on bag.:)

Do their clothes run true to size?

Pretty much run true to size. Depends on the style. I am lucky to have a store close by and if I don't like what I order on line, it goes back to store. Not nearly as much of a selection at store as on line. If you start getting the catalog, there is usually some type of coupon such as if spend $100, you get $25 off or something like that.

pretty much run true to size. Depends on the style. I am lucky to have a store close by and if i don't like what i order on line, it goes back to store. Not nearly as much of a selection at store as on line. If you start getting the catalog, there is usually some type of coupon such as if spend $100, you get $25 off or something like that.

ty!

My husband and I went on a 10 day Baltic cruise in July with a carry on and backpack each. We also stayed one day before and after in Copenhagen so we packed for 12 nights. I always carefully plan out each day and wear everything more than once. Plan around one color (black)so that your shoe color is not a problem. I wear the same pair of black dress shoes every night. You can wear a pair of black slacks and a black skirt alternating at dinner with different tops. We even pack a suit for my husband and it doesn't look bad when we hang it up. His shoes are big so he wears one pair of casual and takes a nicer pair in the back pack that he wears every night. He takes a pair of flip flops in his suit case. You can do laundry or send out for laundry. There are irons and ironing boards in the laundry room. There is no dry cleaning - just laundry. At least that was the case on our ship. We dressed and went to dinner every night and dressed for the formal nights as well. You will be surprised at what you can get in a carry on. And I am always amazed at the amount of luggage people take. We have been carrying on our luggage for years. You just have to do a lot of planning, but to me it is worth it. We had our luggage delayed a couple of times in our earlier years of travel, and I just don't want to worry about getting somewhere and having my trip ruined by lost luggage! We were at a remote all inclusive once, and our travel companions never saw their luggage for the entire 5 nights!!

I have gone thru my clothes twice now and set things aside. We're not flying in but I just don't want to take so many clothes. I may need to buy a new pair of shoes so that I won't have to take 2-3 pair, just one instead.

Archived