Tipping, laundry issues

dixieagle

We'll soon be on the Viking Europe, Eastern European Odyssey (March 20) and have a few questions, as this is our first river cruise. What has been your experience with onboard laundry service? We'll likely want to use this service on a two week trip, not wanting to have to lug an excessive amount of clothing. However, we would also want to know that care was taken so as not to shrink items, etc.

Also - what is appropriate, above and beyond the $10 or so per day per passenger for "pooled" tips, to give for extra service (cabin stewardess, for example.) $50? More? Less?

Thanks for input. BTW, anyone taking our March 20 trip?

Marie

I don't know about the ship you are going on, but on the one I went on last summer, GCT's River Melody, there wasn't any laundry done on the ship. Looked like they took the ship's laundry ashore to be done. A couple of times they were unloading tons of dirty laundry as we were getting ready for a tour.

As far as tipping, the cruise lines usually give you a guideline to go by. I gave more than the guidelines as those people really did work hard and long hours. Also, our tour guide was so terrific, gave him more, too.

Enjoy your cruise. I'm sure you will.

We have been on 2 Viking boats - China and Amsterdam to Vienna. We used the laundry services daily both times and would emphasize it is laundry not dry cleaning. We brought washable cotton clothes for the laundry, and dry cleaning items that did not get sent out. The quality of the ironing was only fair but nothing was destroyed or burnt. I think they did the laundry on board and turn around time was good. We are going to Russia with Viking soon so I called and they gave me a laundry price list - laundry on Century Star was far less expensive than in Europe so I wanted to be aware in advance.

As to tipping, the tour director will spell it out in a meeting (along with your travel documents from Viking). We did not give extra in Europe but did in China to cabin attendant and 2 cruise directors as all 3 were outstanding.

Archived