ideas for St. Kitts, Antigua, Tortola with DD5 & DS3?

rjm11

OK, I have the submarine excursion planned in Barbados, and Cayo Levantado planned in Samana, but am still looking for good beach suggestions, or excursion suggestions for St. Kitts, Antigua, and Tortola.

We will be there in March- DH, myself, and our two kids ages 5 and 3. They love the beach, love all things animals, and basic outdoors stuff. We love snorkeling, but are still unsure how to make that work with the kids. I am still debating on bringing booster seats.... DD5 is probably fine with just a seat belt (she's really tall), but I might schlep one along for DS3. So taxis should be possible. We are driving to port, so that's not an issue.

Any port suggestions would be great... any beaches nearby the port? Even ship-sponsored stuff that you loved, and would work well for our family?

We walked around port then took a taxi to the beach in St Kitts (beach wasn't very child friendly - water was rough that day). We did a ship catamaran and snorkel trip in Antigua. LOVED the water at this port! In Tortola we took the ferry to Virgin Gorda and went to the Baths. There is a great beach area on the right so you don't have to go thru the boulders if you don't want to. We did (carrying our 13 month old DD and her "stuff"). The beach on the other side wasn't better than the first beach. We wish we had just stayed there.

Here's what you need to make snorkeling work for the kids. I used it for my 3 year old and it really worked great. I just tied a rope on the front so I could pull it. Of course I made DS wear a life jacket as well.

http://www.isnorkel.com/product-exec/category_id/195/product_id/4035/nm/Sea-Window-Explorer-snorkeling-raft

In all three ports you mentioned, I've done catamaran trips to the beach. My son loved these as he too loves the beach. It was nice to give him time at the beach and then if he wanted, he could take a rest on the cat ride back.

I know you already booked the sub in Barbados, but I did this tour with my 3 year old and he loved it! IMHO, it much better than The Atlantis.

http://www.glorytours.org/bestone.html

Here's what you need to make snorkeling work for the kids. I used it for my 3 year old and it really worked great. I just tied a rope on the front so I could pull it. Of course I made DS wear a life jacket as well.

http://www.isnorkel.com/product-exec/category_id/195/product_id/4035/nm/Sea-Window-Explorer-snorkeling-raft

In all three ports you mentioned, I've done catamaran trips to the beach. My son loved these as he too loves the beach. It was nice to give him time at the beach and then if he wanted, he could take a rest on the cat ride back.

I know you already booked the sub in Barbados, but I did this tour with my 3 year old and he loved it! IMHO, it much better than The Atlantis.

thanks so much for that isnorkel suggestion... I just ordered two of the them... do they pack small? I assume I can blow them up myself? I'll bring their life jackets too... we'll see how this goes but I'm pretty excited for it!

Now any suggestions for tortola, st. kitts, and antigua on a nice beach to snorkel off of? I'm thinking of some place we can try these out without having to be on an actual snorkel excursion....

thanks so much for that isnorkel suggestion... I just ordered two of the them... do they pack small? I assume I can blow them up myself? I'll bring their life jackets too... we'll see how this goes but I'm pretty excited for it!

Now any suggestions for tortola, st. kitts, and antigua on a nice beach to snorkel off of? I'm thinking of some place we can try these out without having to be on an actual snorkel excursion....

Hi-

They pack ok, but the blowing up can be a bit tiring. You might want to try a bike canister type tire inflator with an adaptor for beach toys.

The isnorkel worked well for my Daughter before she turned two- may not work as well if your child isn't a water baby. I also recommend bringing your own lifevest for the smaller child- most tour operators only have one child's size that is more suitable for 8 yos than toddlers.

Katie

I blew it up half way and filled it with water before we left the cabin and then just put it in a beach bag. It took up more space, but it was easy to blow up once we reached our snorkeling spot. I was traveling with DS, but without DH, so it worked well for me.

Thanks so much for this suggestion! I had no idea that anything like this existed! I sure could have used this when my boys (15, & 13) were younger. I just ordered one for DD who is 3 1/2. I hope that she will be able to use it to see the fish on our cruise next week. Thanks again!!!!:)

Archived