Carnival Miracle Southern Caribbean Review

wilddinodog

We left a snowy UK from Manchester direct to Orlando on 11 December, normally we would go straight to our vacation home but we had rented it out for that week so we had to slum it at the Hyatt located within the airport. The Hyatt is a fantastic hotel and we managed to get a runway view so both my son and his dad could enjoy watching the aircraft (more on aircraft later).

Embarkation

The next day we awoke very early (time difference) made use of the Hyatt gym facilities (fantastic) picked up a hire care and spent a few hours at Universal Studios (Harry Potter land was very quiet for once and we got stuck on rip ride rocket! on the steep bit) before heading off to Fort Lauderdale where we spent the night at the Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port. Overall it was ok for one night, clean and tidy etc. However breakfast was just about passable (although it was free) and we got a little frustrated with the shuttle service. Basically the receptionist made an error with some of the numbers on the coach and several people were left waiting which cascaded accordingly. Saying that the Manager got stuck in and started driving people himself so I suppose he saved the situation from getting worse. Anyway we arrived at the terminal at about 12, although lines were long they moved fairly quickly and before we knew it we were on the ship and had a bite to eat on the lido deck. Room access quickly followed and I couldn't believe it because our bags were there waiting for us, quick unpack and made our way down for the muster which was undertaken with no issues. Back to the lido for a drink before we set off (about 1/2 hour late or so) and we waived bye to Fort Lauderdale (with another drink) before getting back to the room to watch the land disappear.

Food

Visited the Sushi bar before dinner which I thought was really good. We were on your choice dining which was great for flexibility but to be honest I think I preferred a set table. You get to know the staff with the set table, I know you can ask to keep the same but to be honest I didn't really meet any table staff I would honestly say I want them back, they all seemed too busy. Additionally, they seemed a little out of it when the entertainment started in the dining room so back to set times for us next time (we have booked again already!). The drinks service in the dining room was generally very poor and the beverage lady was clueless to be honest. Regarding meal quality in the dining room it was generally very good although we did have a couple of very poor meals (Beef Stroganoff for one) also on a couple of occasions it was luke warm. I really enjoyed the lunches, snacks and breakfasts in the Lido buffet, I really love American breakfasts and I made sure I got to satisfy my craving! Service was generally very good to outstanding all over the ship and although there were a couple of miserable bar people who looked a little sick of their job (I bet after a while the novelty wears off) we also met some fantastic staff who really represented Carnival in a positive light. We booked a table at Nick and Nora's which was absolutely fantastic and the highlight of our holiday to be honest, brilliant service and fantastic food and well worth the extra IMO.

Room and Ship Layout

This was the second spirit class ship we had been on and I think the layout is very well designed and easy to navigate. The decor is a little gaudy (my son said it was tacky) although it reminds me of Vegas (which I love). Considering the usage of the ship I actually though it looked in really good condition. Room was great (Balcony 5223) plenty of room for the three of us. We had an issue with the WC on the first night, waste started to come back up. However it was fixed as soon as reported and our steward Francis was outstanding and cleaned everything up and sanitised the area straight away.

Shows and Activities

We generally don't get too involved in the ship activities but we watched others get involved and it looked fun. Went to several shows and I thought they were ok and was impressed with the production elements. Didn't see much of our CD Malcolm although he seemed to be on the TV every second.

Spa

This was my real issue area, my wife and I like to go to the gym but the gym on the Miracle is in a real state. Half the running machines don't work and the staff don't really care. The only thing they are concerned with is selling products, not only is it really obvious but it is done in a real amateur way. I have spoke about this on a previous thread but please do not book a toxin level check or whatever they are calling it. Basically it is a hard sell of anti toxin products. My wife booked us on one and looking at the literature it sounded very interesting. However, it was basically 10 minutes of interest followed by a heavy heavy sell to the point that the so called international fitness instructor got quite angry with us when we said no. He got even more frustrated when he asked for a tip and the answer back was 'don't play with matches'. Basically I feel we paid $50 to have a hard sell, they try to pray on the vulnerable. Spend your money more wisely like in the Steakhouse! BTW I am currently in the process of getting my $50 back.

Stops and Excursions

St Maartin - We took a taxi (if you could call it that) to see the planes land at the airport at my sons request (ok and me) and it was truly fantastic. Being that close to a 747 as it sails over you was truly magical. Lovely Island although a bit on the crazy side.

St Lucia - Beautiful island we did the pitons trip by catamaran. We actually saw the Pitons as we approached St Lucia to dock but it was great to see them up close. Also met some lovely people on the boat and it was fun to see some people falling over on the way back (few too many rums!)

St Kitts - Again a lovely Island although with less money than the others so looks a little shabby (and scary according to my son) We did the train tour which was a little long although it is the first time I have been entertained by a choir on a train which was unusual to say the least.

Disembarkation

Was a absolute breeze and I couldn't believe how quick we got off the ship and into a taxi to the airport. Top tip, unless you are travelling alone don't use the mini busses to go to the airport they charge $10 per person and a taxi charges about $12 for the cab.

What followed was a brilliant Christmas and New Year at our home in Florida. During this time we booked our next cruise on the Dream in December, countdown is on.

Overall a great cruise and a fantastic holiday. Couple of niggles (especially the spa) but the positives easily outweigh the negatives overall.

Ralph

Thanks for the review - will be on her in 9 days! How do you compare her to larger ships? I have found that I tend to prefer ships that are in the 2800 - 3200 passenger range, hoping this one does not feel too small. Was on the Imagination a couple years ago and wasn't overly impressed with the size - it just felt too small. Of course I have been on one of Royals big ships as well and there were a couple features that almost seemed too big - hopefully this one is just perfect!

I think the size of the ship is spot on actually, not too small and as I said a breeze to navigate. Forgot to say at St Maartin we were docked next to the Allure which dwarfed every other ship in the port. It looked really fantastic but speaking to some passengers at the port they said it was too big; for example you couldn't just go to a show you had to make a reservation and sometimes a reservation before you went on the cruise!

Apart from the legend I have been on the Splendor and I think the Spirit class ships (Legend and Miracle) are much better laid out.

Thanks for the great review! We will be on Miracle next Thanksgiving.

What company did you book your catamaran cruise to the Pitons? Did you feel they did a good job overall? Any time snorkeling?

What did you have for dinner at Nick and Nora's? I've read many positive reviews and I'm glad you had a great experience there.

How old is your son? Did he participate in the "kids club" and if so, did he enjoy it? My DDs will be 9 & 11 at the time of our cruise.

Checking out the 747's on St. Maartin sounds like fun. Did you book an excursion? If not, how much did a "taxi" cost?

Thanks in advance for your answers! Happy New Year!

Thanks for the review and sharing your experience.

If you stayed in Florida for Christmas and New Year, why did you go to the airport from the port? To get your car rental ( hire car )? FYI: Most of the car rental companies have a free shuttle at the port to take you to pick up your rental car. Just thought I would throw that in for next time.:)

We were on the cruise before you and pretty much felt the same about the food and dining room along with Malcolm and Entertainment staff.

Love the Spirit class ships. Have been on all of them and they flow better than the others. My only complaint is the pool area with the stage is tight especially on deck party night.

Thank you for your review! We will be on her in 9 days! I have heard alot of complaining about the entertainment! What was your view on this?

Hi Sandra. We thought the entertainment was ok and personally I thought the production was good. We did the beatles show (ticket to ride) which was great as well as a singer show and yea it was ok.

"Thanks for the great review! We will be on Miracle next Thanksgiving.

What company did you book your catamaran cruise to the Pitons? Did you feel they did a good job overall? Any time snorkeling?

What did you have for dinner at Nick and Nora's? I've read many positive reviews and I'm glad you had a great experience there.

How old is your son? Did he participate in the "kids club" and if so, did he enjoy it? My DDs will be 9 & 11 at the time of our cruise.

Checking out the 747's on St. Maartin sounds like fun. Did you book an excursion? If not, how much did a "taxi" cost?

Thanks in advance for your answers! Happy New Year!

Re Nick and Nora's, Jack and I had NY Strip and Claire had Fillet with pepper sauce. Lobster Bisque for starters which was probably the best soup I had ever had. Massive deserts we couldnt move the next day!

Jack is 13 and didn't go to the clubs (he likes to pose in the gym!)

Re St Maartin,, we picked up a taxi, make sure you confirm the fare before you set off, we paid $8 each. They work a but differently to the US or UK though they just pick people up as you go along which was a little strange at first but we got there and back no problems.

"Thanks Ralph! Say, where is Newcastle Upon Tyne? Wales?"

No it's in the North East of England. I live in Alnwick which is about 30 miles north of Newcastle and 40 miles south of the scottish border. It is famous for the Harry Potter films where a lot of the filming was done here at Alnwick Castle.

with getting of the ship quick do you think we could make a 9.40 am flight at fll airport

I don't think there is any way you would make such an early flight. We did this cruise on 12/5 (different itin). Debarkation was delayed by 20 minutes. There were long lines from the escalators back to the ramp to the cruise b/c the luggage wasn't off the ship yet. Take a later flight.

Great review, Ralph. I have been looking at this ship and itinerary for a while now...may book it for next year. Thanks again!

Yes the itineray was really great. The 2 sea days on both sides of the island visits were really fantastic.

with getting of the ship quick do you think we could make a 9.40 am flight at fll airport

If you did early disembarkment you probably could but would have to rush to get to the airport and if anything at all delayed you would miss your flight.

I would take a later one closer to noon.

While the food and staff were great, the entertainment on this ship is severely lacking. There is one band, a calypso duo, and all soloists. We used to enjoy walking throughout the ship and enjoying the live music. Don't think this reality on Carnival anymore. Back to Carnival once there are professional shows every night, not 5 of the 8 nights, once Punchliners has funny comedians that aren't a waste of time, and most importantly, once there are live bands (more than one), trios, and duos... not just soloists.

Archived