Woodwind booked... alternatives?

mrar

Unfortunately, Windwood is booked (even standby is booked!) on the date we will be in Bonaire. DH and I really wanted to do something like this to Klein Bonaire. Thought about Renee but decided we would rather do a Klein Bonaire water taxi. Are there any other alternatives or 'insider' knowledge about something similar to Woodwind someone can suggest? Thanks!

I have a photo trip report for -

1) the ship's tour to Klein in the morning

2) Renee's tour in the afternoon.

Just click on the link in my signature.

The main reason that I didn't take the Windwood... is because it sailed 30 minutes before our ship got to port. And I would have had to wait around for 2 hours to catch the afternoon trip. Also... I didn't try to do the water taxi on my own, because many people told me the cruise ships book up all the water taxis. (I'm still not sure this is true?) But it was very easy getting the ships tour to Klein right at the pier so we didn't have to walk more than 50 feet from the ship

I liked the ships tour (for a change) they dropped us at the beach on Klein and left us for a few hours. I DON'T LIKE tour guides or someone telling me where I can and can't swim. So I thought it was great that we were left on our own to explore as we pleased. Saw lots of big coral (that's what I came for)

While we were exploring I saw other group-tours off in the distance diving from inflatable boats and sail boats and they had guides who kept the snorkelers herded together in tight little groups. So I was glad the ships tour just dropped us on Klein island and left us there to do our one thing. (There is nothing on the island, you either snorkel, swim or lay on the beach... that it! No buildings or structures just a little hut with I think a drink cooler in it). I snorkeled the entire time... so I didn't care that there was nothing on the island.

Then after going back to the ship for lunch... we caught-up with Renee for an afternoon trip. There were only 4 of us... so again I avoided the big group thing. It was a nice day. We did all shallow snorkeling from shore. I hesitated to take the Windwood because they stayed out in deeper water (15 feet) and although that is still very shallow for snorkeling anywhere else in the Carribean... I love to get in 3 or 4 feet of water (tight spaces) to get good photos... so I wanted to stick to shore diving since Bonaire is one of the only places where you don't need a boat to see big coral. Renee took us on two dives. the first was to see fish. I got some great photos and we saw some neat fish, but it was very sandy and I wasn't impressed with the coral. Renee explained that the lack of hiding places is what made it easier to see lots of fish that normally disappear on the denser coral reefs (and I had to agree with that). Renee's second dive was all coral... and she spotted a ray for me and a few other things I wouldn't have seen (I thought I was good, but she is really good at finding things).

Also, just a little tip. Go down the day of the snorkel and see if anyone canceled. Ours was on January 1st, so late night partying probably caused many to miss out. The trip was fully booked, but only 6 showed up. Two of the waitlisted people came. So, you never know, especially if you have an early arrival time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Sea Princess and were booked well in advance with Woodwind. On meeting at pier were told insufficient num,bers and trip would be delayed from 9 till 12 noon. In my book a deal is a deal so refused to wait and instead went with Glass Bottom Boat Tour--was great. Saw turtles and dolphins and many fish. Continued to Klein Bonaire for good snorkling. Strongly reccommend

This happened to me three years ago with Woodwind.

Apparently the majority of their tour on that day was from another ship that was going to be a few hours late arriving. They said to come back at 12:30, but I didn't like the smell of things, so went out to Klein Bonaire on the water taxi on our own.

This time we booked with Renee. She only takes 4 or five at a time for shore dives.

Perhaps Woodwinds would provide a slightly better experience, but I'm going with what should be the sure thing.

This happened to me three years ago with Woodwind.

Apparently the majority of their tour on that day was from another ship that was going to be a few hours late arriving. They said to come back at 12:30, but I didn't like the smell of things, so went out to Klein Bonaire on the water taxi on our own.

This time we booked with Renee. She only takes 4 or five at a time for shore dives.

Perhaps Woodwinds would provide a slightly better experience, but I'm going with what should be the sure thing.

We had a great time with Renee. I was skeptical when she said she would show us things we hadn't seen. I figured even if she didn't, that was okay because I was looking to find the names of some of the fish we had been seeing on our own, but couldn't quite figure out. Well, she pointed out things we hadn't seen before (and never would have seen on our own)! In addition, my husband was thrilled to be snorkeling with bonefish, and I was amazed at the entire school of baby sargeant majors she found under the pier for us. Then there was the baby angelfish so tiny we would have missed it. And much more.

For the best sightings, stay close to her, and be prepared to look all around when she points to something. She can't take time to explain what you're looking for before she points--the fish would disappear before the explanation was finished, so be prepared to not see everything. On all but one thing, though, I eventually saw what she was showing (the stragglers didn't, but they were having so much fun it didn't matter to them). She doesn't dawdle around, which I appreciated. We only had 2 hours with her, and I was glad that time wasn't wasted. I would go with her again.

We love Bonaire, and have been diving/traveling there yearly for 20 years. We just returned a few weeks ago from a land trip. We love the island so much that we bought a small home there several years ago.

I highly recommend Renee.

We recommended Renee to our friends that were there in July. They LOVED her. She will pick you up, and take you to the snorkeling sites.

Klein bonaire is beautiful, but there are so many areas that are even more beautiful for snorkeling in Bonaire.

You will make better use of your time going with Renee versus getting a water taxi, etc.

Have fun, and enjoy our "home away from home" island!

Patti

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We went with Mushi Mushi and have no regrets. They were friendly, informative and very helpful to my partner who has some temporary mobility issues. They are a first class operation! We had a full hour to snorkel and they made sure we were far from other boats. Both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages were included. Highly recommend!!

Archived