Making a cruise more special.

JTRose123

Hey all.

Back story - My wife and I got married back in November via double proxy when I got to Afghanistan. We have a real wedding planned in September in Disney, but we wanted her to be covered under my health care while I was gone, and this way we felt it wouldn't take away from the specialness of having a real wedding day.

In February I'm getting 2 weeks of leave, and we decided to go on the Carnival Dream to get away from it all for a bit while I'm home.

This is my 5th cruise, her 1st.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make this more special, or romantic for her. I made reservations for the steakhouse for one of the evenings..but I'm trying to think of other things I could do.

If anyone else has any similar experiences or any advice it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

My fiance is also in the military and we havent planned a wedding yet because he just switched units and has to do some training and people are getting pulled to go over seas so If I were her just having you home Im sure is enough for her :) but you could order room service one night without her knowing and get champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Bring your own rose petals from home (they sell fake ones) and put those around the room. Im sure if you tip the room steward he could prob have it set up for you. Not sure if you can bring candles (prob a safety hazard but they have battery operated ones. Just have a romantic night! If it was me I would love that!

Hey all.

Back story - My wife and I got married back in November via double proxy when I got to Afghanistan. We have a real wedding planned in September in Disney, but we wanted her to be covered under my health care while I was gone, and this way we felt it wouldn't take away from the specialness of having a real wedding day.

In February I'm getting 2 weeks of leave, and we decided to go on the Carnival Dream to get away from it all for a bit while I'm home.

This is my 5th cruise, her 1st.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make this more special, or romantic for her. I made reservations for the steakhouse for one of the evenings..but I'm trying to think of other things I could do.

If anyone else has any similar experiences or any advice it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

You can order bottles of liquor ahead of time to be delivered to the room - for you both to enjoy when u get there.

Order a yummy choc cake to be delivered to your table by waIT STAFF - they will write a message on it TOO.

Have fun!! Thanks for all you do in the military for us!!!

Congrats on the wedding!:)

first, thanks for your service! i hope you can make the best of your leave.

i wrote the following list of ideas for a guy looking to propose to his wife on the carnival pride...

just change any 'propose' stuff to 'wedding' and they'd still constitute my advice.

-----

i really want to help you out, so i'm going to throw out a few ideas here... the sorts of things i'd do if i were in the same situation...

actually, i'd probably do all of them. but i'm a sucker for planning ;)

1) consider onboard bon voyage gift delivery...

they'll deliver anything from fruit baskets, to logo gear of all sorts, room decorations, to appetizers or flowers:

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/De...d=CC_Footer_65

2) order alcohol for your cabin from the bon voyage department...

it's not listed on the online site, but you can do this.

you'll have to call 1.800.522.7648 to do this...

3) bring on the allowed 2 bottles of wine (1PP, no doubt)

make it a secret, and surprise her later

especially nice, if you've been places the wine has come from. try to find vintages that are relevant.. if, that's relevant (and you've been to such places)

4) DEFINITELY, order a dozen roses, to be in your stateroom when you board:

here's a dozen red roses for 51.00:

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/Ad...lowers&pid=702

i'd definitely do that. set the mood.

every girl likes getting flowers...

5) consider asking your room steward to arrange rose petals in a heart on your bed...

he could take them from the roses ordered above. you decide when / if this is appropriate...

6) take pictures around the ship...

these will be great keepsakes for years to come. even if they're overpriced.

they'll be priceless, later...

6A) do research the photo release.

you need to have them sign a form, releasing rights, to copy / re-print photos... they are copyrighted. they'll do it, but you need to bring the form.

consider this, in terms of being able to make copies of the photos readily, later... some places like wal mart and other mainstream places won't do it.

7) purchase the photos, without her knowing...

make it a surprise... just pose for them, and kind of play it off... as if it's just for fun... make it a surprise...

buy the ones you really like... i'd buy one for each day, at least (again, in the situation of a proposal)...

8) buy picture frames for each of them from the shops onboard, or from the ports you visit...

try to make it relevant... like the ones inscribed 'carnival pride', or 'nassau, bahamas'... consider them to be keepsakes in the future.

9) write a note on the back of each one...

this is a totally original idea, i don't think i've ever read of someone doing this, but i would...

it could be as simple as something like 'i love you'... or, as i'd probably do... something more detailed... recount what happened today or why it's relevant like 'today, i proposed to you, and look forward to spending the rest of my life with you...' - again, whatever you want...

9A) consider the timing...

you could reveal them immediately... or... i'd also try to figure out how to keep a few for the wedding day, or anniversaries to come.

i figure i'd probably buy extra photos, that i'd never tell her about, and keep them for the future.

the gift that keeps on giving... i think this would be really special. i'd do it.

10) order etched champagne flutes:

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/Ad...casions&pid=79

to mark the occasion...

11) regarding where and how... that really is up to what you want it to be...

12) if you want privacy, and a nice, isolated view...

consider the open deck all the way forward on lido deck 9...

13) if you want privacy, but service (food, drink, etc.)

go to david's supper club / steakhouse...

could be to pop the question...

also could be, the same night of...

14) you might consider arranging this with the cruise director...

if you want a public situation, like up on stage... something that would seem totally unexpected to her, but that you had set up...

15) if you want to set this up in advance...

go to http://johnhealdsblog.com/

write a comment on his blog, and let him know that you'd like to set this up... he could help you coordinate with the cruise director and such...

16) you could also set it up when onboard...

leave a message for the cruise director at guest services, or bring it up with him if you happen to see him about the ship...

this is a little too last minute, for my tastes...

17) plan a spa 'couple' treatment...

there are plenty of them... take your pick...

18) book her a spa treatment...

girls like the spa way more than us guys do... pick something that'll make her feel pampered...

19) dance with her...

even if you don't want to... they love it...

20) consider your onboard entertainers...

piano players often have many of their songs listed online. do some research.

if not, they often have them printed. check the list.

request 'your song' or... 'songs'... set them up (without her knowing) to play them on a cue... (like a hand gesture)... there's some wow factor there...

21) just pay attention...

to her... even if your favorite team's game is on the tv... let her know this is all about her...

ok... i think that's enough for now...

--

i hope it goes really well for you :D

btw, that list had people asking me to email their husbands LOL.

and good luck to you!

Your simple presence will make it special ;) I am thinking a couple massage or spa treatment followed by a nice quiet dinner in the steakhouse.

Thank you for your service. You are an amazing American for serving. And from one hell of a great town! BOSTON RULES!!!!!

first, thanks for your service! i hope you can make the best of your leave.

i wrote the following list of ideas for a guy looking to propose to his wife on the carnival pride...

just change any 'propose' stuff to 'wedding' and they'd still constitute my advice.

-----

i really want to help you out, so i'm going to throw out a few ideas here... the sorts of things i'd do if i were in the same situation...

actually, i'd probably do all of them. but i'm a sucker for planning ;)

1) consider onboard bon voyage gift delivery...

they'll deliver anything from fruit baskets, to logo gear of all sorts, room decorations, to appetizers or flowers:

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/De...d=CC_Footer_65

2) order alcohol for your cabin from the bon voyage department...

it's not listed on the online site, but you can do this.

you'll have to call 1.800.522.7648 to do this...

3) bring on the allowed 2 bottles of wine (1PP, no doubt)

make it a secret, and surprise her later

especially nice, if you've been places the wine has come from. try to find vintages that are relevant.. if, that's relevant (and you've been to such places)

4) DEFINITELY, order a dozen roses, to be in your stateroom when you board:

here's a dozen red roses for 51.00:

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/Ad...lowers&pid=702

i'd definitely do that. set the mood.

every girl likes getting flowers...

5) consider asking your room steward to arrange rose petals in a heart on your bed...

he could take them from the roses ordered above. you decide when / if this is appropriate...

6) take pictures around the ship...

these will be great keepsakes for years to come. even if they're overpriced.

they'll be priceless, later...

6A) do research the photo release.

you need to have them sign a form, releasing rights, to copy / re-print photos... they are copyrighted. they'll do it, but you need to bring the form.

consider this, in terms of being able to make copies of the photos readily, later... some places like wal mart and other mainstream places won't do it.

7) purchase the photos, without her knowing...

make it a surprise... just pose for them, and kind of play it off... as if it's just for fun... make it a surprise...

buy the ones you really like... i'd buy one for each day, at least (again, in the situation of a proposal)...

8) buy picture frames for each of them from the shops onboard, or from the ports you visit...

try to make it relevant... like the ones inscribed 'carnival pride', or 'nassau, bahamas'... consider them to be keepsakes in the future.

9) write a note on the back of each one...

this is a totally original idea, i don't think i've ever read of someone doing this, but i would...

it could be as simple as something like 'i love you'... or, as i'd probably do... something more detailed... recount what happened today or why it's relevant like 'today, i proposed to you, and look forward to spending the rest of my life with you...' - again, whatever you want...

9A) consider the timing...

you could reveal them immediately... or... i'd also try to figure out how to keep a few for the wedding day, or anniversaries to come.

i figure i'd probably buy extra photos, that i'd never tell her about, and keep them for the future.

the gift that keeps on giving... i think this would be really special. i'd do it.

10) order etched champagne flutes:

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/Ad...casions&pid=79

to mark the occasion...

11) regarding where and how... that really is up to what you want it to be...

12) if you want privacy, and a nice, isolated view...

consider the open deck all the way forward on lido deck 9...

13) if you want privacy, but service (food, drink, etc.)

go to david's supper club / steakhouse...

could be to pop the question...

also could be, the same night of...

14) you might consider arranging this with the cruise director...

if you want a public situation, like up on stage... something that would seem totally unexpected to her, but that you had set up...

15) if you want to set this up in advance...

go to http://johnhealdsblog.com/

write a comment on his blog, and let him know that you'd like to set this up... he could help you coordinate with the cruise director and such...

16) you could also set it up when onboard...

leave a message for the cruise director at guest services, or bring it up with him if you happen to see him about the ship...

this is a little too last minute, for my tastes...

17) plan a spa 'couple' treatment...

there are plenty of them... take your pick...

18) book her a spa treatment...

girls like the spa way more than us guys do... pick something that'll make her feel pampered...

19) dance with her...

even if you don't want to... they love it...

20) consider your onboard entertainers...

piano players often have many of their songs listed online. do some research.

if not, they often have them printed. check the list.

request 'your song' or... 'songs'... set them up (without her knowing) to play them on a cue... (like a hand gesture)... there's some wow factor there...

21) just pay attention...

to her... even if your favorite team's game is on the tv... let her know this is all about her...

ok... i think that's enough for now...

--

i hope it goes really well for you :D

btw, that list had people asking me to email their husbands LOL.

and good luck to you!

I actually think I remember reading that! Did you write that a while ago? If it wasn't yours then I read something darn similar. I proposed to my fiance on the Miracle last year and our honeymoon is on the Victory in May.

I made sure I had a large group around our photographer and surprised her with it on formal night. She loved the attention and the fact that the whole thing was captured on film for review later.

I don't think anyone said this, so rent a tux on board for your special dinner at the steakhouse, or bring your own tux should you have one. It's always special when I get my husband in a tux! Congrats on your marriage and thank you for your service!

JT, not sure how you feel about this one, but consider it - from an old grizzled Vietnam War veteran to a young troop.

Although I've seen this on several cruises, this one was the most memorable. Two years ago, we were on a southern Caribbean cruise on Carnival. Our first formal night was Tuesday evening. Everyone was wearing their Sunday best. Our table was toward the back, away from the main dining room doors. All of a sudden, I heard applause beginning. I looked around and there were two young Marines with their spouses walking down the center aisle toward their table. The spouses were all decked out in evening gowns and the Marines were wearing their Dress Blue A's. One was a Lance Corporal, the other a Corporal. The medals one was wearing was a clear indication this young man had been in combat and on more than one occasion. This old veteran got a tear in his eye watching them. Made me proud to have represented my country. Made me proud to be an American.

Chef's table is a group of about 12 people who dine at a special table in the galley with a special meal prepared by the ship's head chef. It is $75 a person and everyone who has done it says it is worth it. Me and my wife are booked for the table on the Dream in Feb. Seven course meal plus wine included.

JT, not sure how you feel about this one, but consider it - from an old grizzled Vietnam War veteran to a young troop.

Although I've seen this on several cruises, this one was the most memorable. Two years ago, we were on a southern Caribbean cruise on Carnival. Our first formal night was Tuesday evening. Everyone was wearing their Sunday best. Our table was toward the back, away from the main dining room doors. All of a sudden, I heard applause beginning. I looked around and there were two young Marines with their spouses walking down the center aisle toward their table. The spouses were all decked out in evening gowns and the Marines were wearing their Dress Blue A's. One was a Lance Corporal, the other a Corporal. The medals one was wearing was a clear indication this young man had been in combat and on more than one occasion. This old veteran got a tear in his eye watching them. Made me proud to have represented my country. Made me proud to be an American.

Rick,

Hey..first, thank you for YOUR service...Vietnam era vets are not given the respect and admiration they deserve.

Second....unfortunately (or fortunately I guess) I currently only have my Army dress blues available as formal ware..so wearing them for the formal nights was the plan, ha. I haven't had to have a suit in a while due to the military (been in about 9 years now), and will only have about a day or two home before we set sail.

Again, everyone...thank you so much for all the awesome ideas and help. It's really truly appreciated.

Not sure which week in Feb you're cruising, but if it's the sailing on the 12th, as a retired Army veteran to one currently serving, I would love to buy you and your "wife" a drink on board to say welcome home and THANKS!

Write a letter of dedication to your wife.

Have it ready for when you board on the first day and hand it in to the Guest Services desk.

Address it to Butch Begovich, Cruise Director...for 1st Sea day Morning Show

The Carnival CD's all have morning shows on sea days and anyone who has written letters of dedication, usually for birthdays or anniversaries will have their letters read live on the Morning Show. It is shown on the Seaside Screen and cabin tv's live and repeated on tv during the cruise.

In your letter, include the info you have given to us here. I'm sure your wife will be touched by your words of love, aired for all to see.

Butch might send you and your wife a bottle of champagne to celebrate the occasion.

Rick,

Hey..first, thank you for YOUR service...Vietnam era vets are not given the respect and admiration they deserve.

Second....unfortunately (or fortunately I guess) I currently only have my Army dress blues available as formal ware..so wearing them for the formal nights was the plan, ha. I haven't had to have a suit in a while due to the military (been in about 9 years now), and will only have about a day or two home before we set sail.

Again, everyone...thank you so much for all the awesome ideas and help. It's really truly appreciated.

God bless you both JT!!

Make sure you email Mach!!:)

Maybe surprise her with a memento reminding her of the upcoming Disney wedding, say plush mickey and minnie bride and groom, or toasting glasses, or a cake topper. You can order all sorts of things on the internet, and perhaps have it shipped to your hotel, or any family in the area...

Maybe enlist a family member state-side to collect photos of you both as children and as a couple and assembled them into a photo album and give it to her while on the cruise. ;) Good Luck but mostly, enjoy your R&R.

Order room service for 5 am and take it up to the deserted deck and watch the sun come up out of the water. It is beautiful and private if you scope out a decent place before hand and quite romantic.

This idea, this idea is definitely something I could do.

Write a letter of dedication to your wife.

Have it ready for when you board on the first day and hand it in to the Guest Services desk.

Address it to Butch Begovich, Cruise Director...for 1st Sea day Morning Show

The Carnival CD's all have morning shows on sea days and anyone who has written letters of dedication, usually for birthdays or anniversaries will have their letters read live on the Morning Show. It is shown on the Seaside Screen and cabin tv's live and repeated on tv during the cruise.

In your letter, include the info you have given to us here. I'm sure your wife will be touched by your words of love, aired for all to see.

Butch might send you and your wife a bottle of champagne to celebrate the occasion.

This is also something I could do for the morning of the sunrise..wow..awesome ideas everyone.

Not sure which week in Feb you're cruising, but if it's the sailing on the 12th, as a retired Army veteran to one currently serving, I would love to buy you and your "wife" a drink on board to say welcome home and THANKS!

Chris, I'll be on the 19th Dream, but thank you so much.

JT, everyone has given you some great suggestion. I hope you're able to pick out something, but I am sure that anything you choose your fiance will love!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SERVICE AND DEDICATION TO OUR COUNTRY!!! Stay safe over there!

Archived