Is Stingray City for Toddlers???

ChiMimi69

My 2 yo DS loves the stingrays!!! He enjoyed watching them swim around at the zoo this past summer and he would have jumped in if he could. However, one thing is sticking your hand in a pool with some small ones. But, another thing, is being among the large ones in the wild. Considering the water depth is only 4 feet, I thought I could put him in his floatation tube and he can enjoy them swimming around him. But, I am still hesitant with the whole idea. Has anyone taken their own or maybe seen other parents take their young toddlers to stingray city? Is it safe for them? :(

Thank you for your input! :)

My 2 yo DS loves the stingrays!!! He enjoyed watching them swim around at the zoo this past summer and he would have jumped in if he could. However, one thing is sticking your hand in a pool with some small ones. But, another thing, is being among the large ones in the wild. Considering the water depth is only 4 feet, I thought I could put him in his floatation tube and he can enjoy them swimming around him. But, I am still hesitant with the whole idea. Has anyone taken their own or maybe seen other parents take their young toddlers to stingray city? Is it safe for them? :(

Thank you for your input! :)

HI ChiMimi -

We were just there in the middle of December and I would say no to your question. I am 5'4, pretty good swimmer and the water is about chest deep for me. The guides instructions are to keep your feet on the ground so not disturbe the rays. While I think your son would have a great time you may want to wait until he is a bit older to ensure he will follow specific instructions when encountering the rays. Futher the current and waves were pretty stong when we were there so that may be a factor to keep in mind as well. You may want to call Native Way Watersports or e-mail Sharon there and ask her opinion. That is who we toured with while there and they were very professional and wonderful. Best wishes and Very Happy Sails!!

HI ChiMimi -

We were just there in the middle of December and I would say no to your question. I am 5'4, pretty good swimmer and the water is about chest deep for me. The guides instructions are to keep your feet on the ground so not disturbe the rays. While I think your son would have a great time you may want to wait until he is a bit older to ensure he will follow specific instructions when encountering the rays. Futher the current and waves were pretty stong when we were there so that may be a factor to keep in mind as well. You may want to call Native Way Watersports or e-mail Sharon there and ask her opinion. That is who we toured with while there and they were very professional and wonderful. Best wishes and Very Happy Sails!!

I would definitely be holding on to his tube but, I was thinking of just keeping his feet away from the sand. But all in all, it appears my motherly instincts were correct in that he's TOO young. Thanks for helping to lift the fog! :)

Archived