Bannister Island Update

rosenc1c

There has been a lot of confusion about Bannister island and whether it is open and fully functioning. I asked Coral Breeze to clarify the status, and this is the response I received:

"I'm afraid the rumor mill about Bannister has been running at full blast for the last few months while the ownership of the island was being negotiated. The island itself took a hit from Hurricane Richard, but the damage appeared worse than it was because Bannister had been undergoing renovations in October. The new owners of the island seem to be eager to make sure the island is in good shape. The snack shop, bathrooms, palapas, chairs, etc. are all in place. There were never more than two independent tour companies operating on Bannister Island -- ourselves and Eco Tours Belize, which chose not to renew their contract. "..Coral Breeze

There has been a lot of confusion about Bannister island and whether it is open and fully functioning. I asked Coral Breeze to clarify the status, and this is the response I received:

"I'm afraid the rumor mill about Bannister has been running at full blast for the last few months while the ownership of the island was being negotiated. The island itself took a hit from Hurricane Richard, but the damage appeared worse than it was because Bannister had been undergoing renovations in October. The new owners of the island seem to be eager to make sure the island is in good shape. The snack shop, bathrooms, palapas, chairs, etc. are all in place. There were never more than two independent tour companies operating on Bannister Island -- ourselves and Eco Tours Belize, which chose not to renew their contract. "..Coral Breeze

I thought that Island Marketing also did tours to Bannister Island. Are they still doing them? Thanks

I also contacted Coral Breeze and this is what they told me:

"Thanks for getting in touch with us. Bannister Island is back in business, and since the start of the year under new ownership. I hope you have a chance to visit.

Best,

Mark"

then i asked:

"What does the new ownership mean for visitors? Have there been any changes to what is provided and available on the island? Do you know why no one else is offering the excursions to go there any more, other than you guys?"

He replied:

"The new owners are planning to put some money into upgrading the facilities, although we don't know the details. For many years, there have only been two independent operators with contracts to go to Bannister Island."

Going to Belize in two weeks with Carnival. Heard rumors that Bannister was not open when Carnival is in port, any truth to this???

Cheers

I am going to Belize with Carnival, as well, on the 26th. I will reply to Mark again and ask him if that is the case.

I am going to Belize with Carnival, as well, on the 26th. I will reply to Mark again and ask him if that is the case.

Mark's reply:

"Bannister was in fact closed on "Carnival-only" days for the last three months of 2010. At the end of the year, however, new owners took over the island and it's now open every day"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived