Questions about Altun Ha and Lamanai

sesasheep

We are going to do the ruins in Belize. We are looking at Altun Ha or Lamanai. we are going to book through ncl, because we don’t like the idea of being so far away from the ship and not having a guaranteed return to the ship. for altun ha, we can either take the motorcoach tour, which just drives you there and back($49), or go on the Olde Belize river and altun ha tour($89). I am assuming that that tour takes you to the ruins by boat instead of by coach. (if i am wrong, please let me know). or, we could go to Lamanai, which includes the new river safari($99). For those that have done these tours, which one would you do? Which is the best value for the money? We are leaning towards doing one of the tours with a boat segment and are curious if lamanai is worth the extra $10 over Altun Ha, or are both of the boat tours a waste of money? we will be booking through NCL and doing the NCL excursion.

Thanks so much in advance for your help

Lamini is far superior and is worth an extra $10. By th way, you can't get all the way to Altun Ha by boat. You will take a bus to the river, do the river trip, get on another bus, and then go to the ruins.

Lamini is far superior and is worth an extra $10. By th way, you can't get all the way to Altun Ha by boat. You will take a bus to the river, do the river trip, get on another bus, and then go to the ruins.

Totally agree. Lamani was one of the best places I have been. We went on our own and our fellow cruisers did not think we would make it back - but we did. An outstanding trip! Would do it all over again.

Totally agree. Lamani was one of the best places I have been. We went on our own and our fellow cruisers did not think we would make it back - but we did. An outstanding trip! Would do it all over again.

Just wondering who you booked with? We are looking at doing this excursion in March while on the Carnival Valor. Carnival does not offer this tour so thinking on using Island Marketing Ltd. - they are offering this tour for $75 per person including lunch, and just wondering if this is who you booked with? And if so would you recommend this tour company?

We just returned from our cruise on which we did the Lamanai and New River Safari and I must tell you that it was awesome! It is worth the price.

Walking to the top of the temple at Lamanai is a very memorable experience.

You will not regret taking this excursion.

Just wondering who you booked with? We are looking at doing this excursion in March while on the Carnival Valor. Carnival does not offer this tour so thinking on using Island Marketing Ltd. - they are offering this tour for $75 per person including lunch, and just wondering if this is who you booked with? And if so would you recommend this tour company?

We used Belize Cruise Excursions which is owned by Island Marketing. The $75pp is well worth the price - IMHO. We were able to get off the ship on one of the first tenerds so we had a head start and were able to get back to the ship with some time to spare. Our guides and driver kept track of time. I do wish we had more time at the site - but I would do it all over again.

We just returned from our cruise on which we did the Lamanai and New River Safari and I must tell you that it was awesome! It is worth the price.

Walking to the top of the temple at Lamanai is a very memorable experience.

You will not regret taking this excursion.

Would you recommend this tour for a four year old?

I think taking a 4yr old to Lamanai is not a good options for a couple of reasons:

1. total travel time both bus and boat is around 2hrs each way
  2. keeping their interest
  3. you might miss out on an excellent chance to climb to the top of the main pryamid.
  4. you might end up carrying them while traveling through the site because you will be walking in the jungle.

I would say yes if they were older but you need to be fair to both you and them. Altun Ha should work out better for everyone.

I think taking a 4yr old to Lamanai is not a good options for a couple of reasons:

1. total travel time both bus and boat is around 2hrs each way
  2. keeping their interest
  3. you might miss out on an excellent chance to climb to the top of the main pryamid.
  4. you might end up carrying them while traveling through the site because you will be walking in the jungle.

I would say yes if they were older but you need to be fair to both you and them. Altun Ha should work out better for everyone.

Thanks. That was my initial reaction. Too much travel time.

I was checking the Carnival excursions for Belize and at this time they only offer Alta Hun. Since we won't have any other ruins to compare to do you think that is still a good days trip or would we be better off booking a private excursion and going to Lamanai?

thanks, Kris

I was checking the Carnival excursions for Belize and at this time they only offer Alta Hun. Since we won't have any other ruins to compare to do you think that is still a good days trip or would we be better off booking a private excursion and going to Lamanai?

thanks, Kris

I do not think too much can compare to Lamanai - IMHO. That being said, taking a private excursion to Lamanai will depend upon your comfort level (time). I have yet to hear of a group on a private excursion to Lamanai not getting back to the ship on time.

We did Island Marketing 3 years ago and it was wonderful. Will be doing it again in a few weeks. They do watch the time and ruins are wonderful. We did get back to the port, had time for a quick look around, then back on the tender. By the way, the lunch is made by the tour guides' wives or moms. It was great. Our guide even picked some peppers for us. Only for the hearty. LOL

Private tour to Lamanai is very douable and should be considered. Your timing confort zone could be tested if something happens but for those who read this board we havent seen many I Missed our Ship stories..Ialand Marketing is a good choice..

We used Belize Cruise Excursions which is owned by Island Marketing. The $75pp is well worth the price - IMHO. We were able to get off the ship on one of the first tenerds so we had a head start and were able to get back to the ship with some time to spare. Our guides and driver kept track of time. I do wish we had more time at the site - but I would do it all over again.

A few questions, How long did it take to get there? how long were you there? how much time did you have once you got back?

Not sure if it is too far to go with a private company? Or sho0uld we just do the Carnival tour to Altun Ha?

We went through Island Marketing to book our tour of Laminai when we cruised in November on the Valor. Just make sure you go to the Eagle's Lounge early in the morning and get on the first tender out for non-Carnival excursions. It was about an hour drive out there, and 45 minutes up the river. We had plenty of time to see the ruins climb on them and eat lunch. We even shopped a little at the local's huts. As we were leaving a down-pour hit and the boat ride wasn't as fun on the way back. The drive back wasn't as much fun either do to the torrential rain. The driver did real good, we were tight on time getting back because of the rain - but we weren't on the last tender boat so I guess we had more time then I thought.

I would totally do this again the ruins are fantastic and there are not the crowds you see at Tulum.

A few questions, How long did it take to get there? how long were you there? how much time did you have once you got back?

Not sure if it is too far to go with a private company? Or sho0uld we just do the Carnival tour to Altun Ha?

It took about an hour to drive from Belize City to Orange Walk where the dock is. The about 45 min boat ride to Lamanai. We had the chance to walk around, go through the ball court, climb the largest structure, and visit the handicrafts hut (not sure what to call it). I do wish we had more time there, but that was because it was so wonderful. Then the same thing in reverse - boat to van. We did have lunch in Orange Walk at the dock, which was really great to share some time with the locals.

We had about an hour to hour and a half back at the port before the last tender.

We did, however, get off the ship on the second tender and we were the only folks on the tour. (Very few people were visitng or even knew of Lamanai at that time.) I think we were on Carnival for this cruise. We went to the theater, gathering location for ship excursions, with a copy of our private company reservation (with meeting time on it). We shared that we had to get off the ship to meet our reservation and they had us join the second tender. You do have to be politely present to make sure they "remember" you.

Hope this helps. I did a long review of Lamanai and all that we did, helpful hints etc on this board. It would have been from 2007. I will try to find it and post here.

Here it is...

I was set on exploring Lamanai. First let me say that we DID go to Lamanai and it was the very best thing I did on the entire 8 day cruise. It was also one of if not the most beautiful place I have ever been to.

Secondly, be warned, it is not a quick trip. There is a very high risk of not making it back to the ship. Because this was our last port of call we took the risk - bringing all of our travel documents just in case. We DID make it back thanks to our two tour guides - Richard for his Indy driving and Jr. for his expert boat handling skills on the New River.

A few things to know about if you want to go to Lamanai:

1. Belize is a tender port. You must get out on the first or second tender. I found that cruise ships like to get their excursion passengers off first so make sure to speak to the Purser's Desk and confirm the tendering procedure. On the morning of arrival, make sure to be in the gathering location early and be politely firm about getting off the ship.

2. You will need a print out of your confirmation with tour time - make it as early as possible! The cruise ship will ask for this as proof of an early tour.

3. Have your travel documents with you just in case you miss the tender. The ship leaves ON TIME.

4. The drive from the pier to Orange Walk is at least 1 1/4 hours. The you take a boat ride 24 miles down the New River. We traveled at about 22 knots the entire time so it took us about another hour or so. Then you have to do it all over again to get back!

5. Traffic in Belize City can be tough mid day.

6. If you go bring bug replant and wear good hiking boots/sneakers and pants. There is a lot of mud in areas and if you climb any of the temples you need to have really good footwear and pants.

That being said, I wish we had more time to explore this beautiful place. Because we left so early we were the only ones at Lamanai and it was WONDERFUL. This is a site that does not get a lot of cruise traffic - just what I like. I can not wait to go back to Belize and spend a number of days at Lamanai.

I contacted the Belize excursion company and they booked the trip for me. Even though they had all of our cruise info - they were not as cognizant of our time constraint as I thought they would have. Because we were nervous out the excursion, we e-mailed the company from the ship and moved the start time up one hour. (E-mailing from the ship is expensive so get your ducks in a row before you go.)

Richard our land based guide drove us to Orange Walk with the speed of a Puma. What a great job.

Jr. took us down the New River with a few stops along the way to see wildlife - including crocodiles. He was fantastic. Jr. also took us around Lamanai and was very knowledgeable. He encouraged us to climb the largest temple - so we did. Know that I am home I can say that I was glad that I did it. What a thrill!

This is not a fancy cruise tour. This is a real experience to be enjoyed.

Tip: Leave your backpacks on the ground but take a camera.

Hope this helps.

Archived