Weather Expectations for Hawaii R/T LA

cruiseboys

Anyone have any experience with weather conditions on the roundtrip Hawaii cruises from Los Angeles?? Considering the Sapphire at the end of March but don't want to be trapped indoors because of bad weather on the crossing to Hawaii. Of course we know no one can control the weather but just want some idea what to expect (i.e. cold, rain, etc). Any insight/experiences appreciated. Happy Cruising to ALL!!

First 2 days and last 2 days cold and very windy. Out of the 8 sea days maybe you'll have 4 decent days, that is why i will not do another hawaii 14 day cruise. If you are not interested in sunbathing and pool activities than it doesn't matter.

Agree with riclop

first two days and last two days cold. The only place you could even think about sitting outside was "inside" - covered areas.

And much of the time the pools were closed due to weather. Too much moving around inside the pool - waves.

However, there were more activities planned during the day - Hawaii related - hula dancing, lei making, ukelele playing.

We went end of March, beginning of April last year.

It really is just luck. We just came back from our second Hawaiian cruise in late December. Five years ago we had cool weather starting off, then it warmed up closer to the islands, and was nice weather on the way back -- even warm in Ensenada and LA due to the Santa Anas blowing. But rough seas the first couple of days due to the current that is crossed leaving San Pedro. The pools were closed because of the wave action kicked up by the sea conditions and not because of the weather (there is a pool under a retractable roof).

Just got off the Golden last Wednesday and the weather was different. Rainy, but then we had a week of rain straight in LA. Again, the pools may have been closed for one or so days, but because of sea conditions. But I did notice that they actually were in used even when the waves were kicking up a fuss (my teen used the hot tubs by the outdoor pool so she can watch MUTS -- the teens didn't seem to care if it was raining or even cool). But compared to that other cruise, it didn't seem like the seas were that rough. Just a lot of wind.

The RT Hawaiian cruises are still awesome. All those fun-filled sea days with Hawaii to boot. And we didn't have to fly to get to the port.

Agree with riclop

first two days and last two days cold. The only place you could even think about sitting outside was "inside" - covered areas.

And much of the time the pools were closed due to weather. Too much moving around inside the pool - waves.

However, there were more activities planned during the day - Hawaii related - hula dancing, lei making, ukelele playing.

We went end of March, beginning of April last year.

I am also wondering if Princess will have those activities on the Sapphire like they have on the Golden... Sapphire is only doing that route just a few times this year...

To the OP, first 2 days are kind of cool, but there is so much to do (on the Golden at least) that you won't even notice! I know I didn't!

1st day is normally rough .. after that it warms up ,, 1st time did it in feb and they way over was nice the way pack we had clouds ,, not to bad . both times the pool was fun lots of waves action ,you do know your on a cruise ship. there is some wave action ect wind , the sunsets are wonderful .when you have almost 9 days at sea ,your bound to get some weather.

We had amazing weather in January '08. I just remember the last day being windy and a little cool. Seas were not nearly as rough as I was prepared for. I think it is just a matter of luck! Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best!

We did this cruise 2 years ago in January and are going again this year in March. You can always expect cool/cold temperatures and somewhat rough water for the first day or two off the coast of California. In January, temperatures continued to be cool until we reached Hawaii where it was hot and gorgeous. If you enjoy sea days, as we do, it's a wonderful cruise.

1st day is normally rough .. after that it warms up ,, 1st time did it in feb and they way over was nice the way pack we had clouds ,, not to bad . both times the pool was fun lots of waves action ,you do know your on a cruise ship. there is some wave action ect wind , the sunsets are wonderful .when you have almost 9 days at sea ,your bound to get some weather.

I did mean to say sea conditions causing the waves in the pool, not the weather.

And my dh & I were enjoying the waves in the pool and were kicked out of it - guessing they were worried about someone getting hurt.

We usually would have spent all sea days by one of the outdoor pools, just wasn't possible - we tried, way too cold for bathing suits, people were in windbreakers on those lounge chairs.

IMO it depends on the weather you are use to or have where you live. Our outside temperature is currently in the mid teens degrees F and there is lots of white stuff, which isn't sand, on the ground.

IMO for our first Hawaii cruise the seas were rough and the weather warm for the first day when the ship is sailing in the coastal current that comes down from Alaska. After the first day that sailing was great temperature and sea wise but the open Pacific will typically have rougher seas than the Caribbean.

Now if someone came to that cruise from southern Florida their opinion might have been it was darn cold that first day. We are looking forward to our second Hawaiin cruise on Golden Pr. which sails in five weeks.

Archived