Hotel on The Cay Beach Break

DanielBu

Hello,

has anybody tried this excursion?

How is the beach?

Is there good snokeling possible?

Thought it might be a good idea to see Christiansted and have time at a nice beach.

What do you think?

Daniel

Berlin / Germany

Daniel,

We did it on our own last year. Took the shuttle to Christanstaed, found the little ferry to the Cay and had a nice day. The beach is nice, there is a nice beach bar and restaurant there, you can rent chairs and umbrellas etc. We did not go snorkeling but there were a few others in the water who seemed to be enjoying it. I am sure the snorkling out at Buck's Island would be better but this was a very nice beach day for us and it was a windy so so Buck's would have been a rough ride. We are debating now on this trip vs doing it on our own again or doing some touring this year.

Hello,

thx. for your answer!

How much was the shuttle and the beach chair/umbrella?

Beach looks a little small on some photos, as if it could get crowded easily. Where there enough chairs to get?

Could you post a photo of the area?

Daniel

We did this last week but did not rent umbrellas or chairs. The shuttle is $16/person round trip and the water taxi was $3 but is going up to $4/person round trip soon. The guy at the pier said that he swims out to where the breakers are for wonderful snorkeling but I did not do this as it was quite a way out nor did I see much at the island. There are quite a few fish around the pier and there was a barracuda under one of the boats.

Daniel

I would rate the snorkeling right off the beach as "poor". The water is warm and amazing clear, but there isn't really much to see since it is all sand and grass. The only reason I don't give it a failing grade is because there were a few fish around, and more conch shells than I've ever seen (but were 10+ feet underwater).

There may be better snorkeling towards the breakers, and I even tried to swim to them, but the tide and current was working against me and I gave up after a few minutes.

If snorkeling is one of your prime goals, I would suggest you go elsewhere.

Dennis

My most exciting find snorkeling at Hotel on the Cay was a barracuda under a boat--I said to my husband before I went in that that might be all I would see and that was about right. Snorkeling is better at Sandcastle beach--not amazing by any means but interesting and quite a few fish. Just swim out and look for rock/coral areas and you will find fish.

• 1 month later...

Archived