Ft Zachory???

willowbilly

Fort Zachary Taylor is an easy 15-20 min walk and admission is $2.50 per person. Given that this is your first visit to Key West I would forgo the swimming and try to see more of old town during your limited time.

Keep in mind that all the beaches in the keys are man-made and nothing like the beautiful beaches of the panhandle area and many other areas of Florida. There is also a fair amount of coral etc, so beach shoes are advisable.

Mike:)

You could forgo the beach but not the water. If you go to Dantes at the Key West Bight, behind the Half Shell Raw Raw, you can use the pool as long as you buy a drink or have something to eat. There's a good raw bar there...

159448628_rgmLX-S.jpg

159448634_un7T8-S.jpg

Wear a bathing suit under your cloths.

Pjk

I find the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park quite beautiful. It is just that the sand is not the quality one might wish, such as the wondrous sugary sand of Ipanema and Copacabana. The sand at Fort Zach has an almost gravely quality.

But the scenery is lovely and the area is very relaxing. Plus in the causarina pine trees there are picnic tables and little BBQs. Lots of boats of all types go by. Wonderful birds fly by. Playful dolphins swim by. Well, you can see I love Fort Zachary Taylor.

I think going to this park would be a complete waste of time in Key West. While it is a pretty spot, the beacj is mostly rocks and the water is only clear on days with little wind. There are MUCH nicer beaches on most other cruise ports of call, and Key West has so much to see and do in town, I think a visit to this average (at best) beach is a waste of your visit.

You could forgo the beach but not the water. If you go to Dantes at the Key West Bight, behind the Half Shell Raw Raw, you can use the pool as long as you buy a drink or have something to eat. There's a good raw bar there...

159448628_rgmLX-S.jpg

159448634_un7T8-S.jpg

Wear a bathing suit under your cloths.

Pjk

Thanks Peter. That is great info!

I find the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park quite beautiful. It is just that the sand is not the quality one might wish, such as the wondrous sugary sand of Ipanema and Copacabana. The sand at Fort Zach has an almost gravely quality.

But the scenery is lovely and the area is very relaxing. Plus in the causarina pine trees there are picnic tables and little BBQs. Lots of boats of all types go by. Wonderful birds fly by. Playful dolphins swim by. Well, you can see I love Fort Zachary Taylor.

I agree with HeavySurf's description and I love the park also. I've never seen dolphin from the beach, though :(. The Eco-Discovery Center near the park entrance is another interesting stop along the way. Plus, you can walk back to the ship via either Whitehead or Duval Streets and get to see a bit of the town.

It really does depend on what you like to do.

I guess the point of my post was that there are so many much nicer beaches on most cruise iteneraries, it seems like a waste, to me, to spend your short time in Key West here. There is also much more to Key West then walking Duval Street. Rent a bike or walk through the largest 19th century wooden house historic district in the country, or walk along the harbor looking for tarpon and stopping for a drink or some conch fritters. I guess it does depend on what you like, but as someone who used to work in the tourist industry, many visitors are very disappointed in Fort Zachary since they are expecting a tropical beach with long stretches of soft white sand. I guess just be aware that it is a small rocky beach and you will not be disappointed.

Archived