Ambergris in a Day

chays99

Hey guys,

I tried searching first, but can't really find the info I'm after. We will be in Belize in February on the Voyager. I've seen some threads noting that it is possible to hop on a plane and spend the day in San Pedro. What I haven't seen is a "must do" list of places to hit since there will be a time constraint.

Any ideas on places to visit with limited time? We have been trying to plan a vacation there for quite some time and just can't ever get everybody on the same page. Perhaps this will be a bit of a scouting trip!

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I tried searching first, but can't really find the info I'm after. We will be in Belize in February on the Voyager. I've seen some threads noting that it is possible to hop on a plane and spend the day in San Pedro. What I haven't seen is a "must do" list of places to hit since there will be a time constraint.

Any ideas on places to visit with limited time? We have been trying to plan a vacation there for quite some time and just can't ever get everybody on the same page. Perhaps this will be a bit of a scouting trip!

Thanks!

We have been there for a weeks vacation. It is absolutly beautiful and the locals very friendly unlike Belize city. I know a TA who can probably get you set up with flight reservations and golf cart rental once you get there. He would also give you the best reccomendations within your time constraint. His name is Alex and you can reach him at Discoveringbelize.com. We are going to be in Belize again in April on a cruise as well. Alex is working on a package for us to fly or boat into Caye Calker. In addition to arranging our land vacation in 2009 he has set us up with fishing guides twice while cruising. We have never been disappointed.

There really aren't any must do places, it is more of an atmosphere kind of place. Everything is walking distance, so you don't need a golf cart unless you have mobility issues. The airstrip is on the southern edge of town, my recommendation is to walk over to the beach (it will be obvious where it is), turn left and walk to the northern edge of town at least as far as Cholo's Beach Bar stopping for drinks and food wherever you like. When you get to the other end of town, turn left walk half a block, turn left again, then walk back along Front street. You'll probably have more time, so then you want walk north again on Middle Street and then head back to the airport when it's time. My favorite places are Fido's, Jambel Jerk, and drinks at Cholo's. I'm sure Wadethegringo will be along to tell you more.

My sister and I planned on taking the water taxi back and forth there last year, but the biggest problem we had was time constraints. Since we didn't have a tour booked with the cruiseline, we weren't allowed to grab a tender before 9 am, so we didn't get to shore before 9:30. We had to be back in time for the last tender back to the ship by 3pm. The schedule for the water taxi would have meant we'd spend most of out time travelling back and forth so we decided not to go.

Hopefully, the plane schedule will allow more time for a visit there- just keep in mind that Belize is a tender port, so you might not be able to get off the ship as early as possible and you may have to get back earlier than the scheduled departure time.

Archived