24 mos Age Limit for Cribs & Pack n Plays on NCL

CruiseBoston

Summary: NCL will not book a crib or pack and play in a room if no one in the room is under 24 months of age. They did suggest an exception would be made in the case of special/medical needs.

Longer version: We just made a reservation for cruising in 2012 on the NCL Dawn and will be bringing my dd and ds, who will then be 4 and 2.5, respectively. Right now, dd is 2.5 and when we travel, she happily sleeps in a crib for us, even though she sleeps in a twin bed when at home. Though she CAN climb out, she doesn't, just calls for us and we come get her.

For the August 2012 cruise we have a 2BR family suite booked with my in-laws, and we were thinking dd would sleep on the living room pull out and ds in a crib, either in the living room or in the master bedroom/bath area. My TA (large, experienced online agency) requested the crib for us as part of making the reservation (yes, I know it is insanely early, but we got a great military fare, plus HUGE OBC, other amenities, etc., and now we have the promised trip planned with the grandparents). NCL told her their policy prohibits placing a crib or pack and play in a room without a passenger under 24 months old. I presume this is for liability reasons, climbing out, etc.

Anyways, we can either bring our own pack and play, or a pea pod "tent", or bunk the kids together, or whatever. Not a huge deal. But, it was news to me and the TA that there was such a policy, so I figured I would let folks here know too.

Hmmmm...I'm traveling with my 27-month old son on the NCL Spirit at the end of the month, and when I called to have a crib (Pack n' Play) put in the room, it was no problem. We reported his age as 2 in our cruise documents because he's closer to 2 than 3, but of course NCL also has his birthdate, and the person on the phone didn't mention any policy about being over 24 months, anyway. Now I wonder if we'll have a problem on the ship... I'm not sure what we'd do since he would not sleep well in a pull-out bed!

I've never sailed on NCL but I know when we were on Princess we were able to get an additional one for our cabin (as well as my DD's) by just asking the cabin steward. I can't imagine if they have any extras that they would refuse. Of course, you're taking the chance they don't. Maybe try to make sure you are on board early. Imagine my surprise when I opened the door and our steward was standing there with a crib saying my daughter ordered it for OUR room :eek:. Ah, the joys of being a grandparent.

Ah, well, if others have had a different recent experience with whatever NCL rep they talked to, this was probably just my TA hitting a dud or someone just more compliant with regs than usual. I don't want to worry anyone unnecessarily. I am sure the in-person staff has no investment in refusing to accommodate our (reasonable) requests once we are on board, if possible.

Even if the NCL rep my TA spoke with is totally off the mark, I just want to clarify that you should definitely still try to reserve in advance if you can. When we cruised with our 1 year old on NCL, we were given the choice of a pack and play OR a mini-crib & high chair. I know they eventually ran out of mini-cribs for our sailing and turned down some folks who made the request on board. They only have so many on the ship.

Archived