No 5 bus Isle Verde

Missus Makkem

We stayed at the Hampton 2 weeks ago and took the bus. When you exit the hotel walk to the right and across the street. We asked the desk clerk which bus to take, and she was very imformative.

We had a rental car, but didn't want to have to find a parking space in OSJ, so after we checked out of the hotel they stored our luggage for us behind the desk, and we took the bus to osj. We toured the forts, had lunch at La Bonbenera and did some shopping, then took the bus back to get our luggage and car.

We did a 5 day precruise in Rincon, so we needed a rental car....but is is a real hassel to drive in OSJ

We are thinking about renting a car for a day or two while in SJ - only because we want to do the Bio tour and visit beaches outside the city area - the rest of our week's stay we'll be relying on the bus system.

Two questions:

Does anyone know anything about Charlie's Car Rental?

We are staying at Embassy Suites Isla Verda - where do we catch the bus from there?

Thanks for all your help!

(We're two old broads taking our first girls' trip! But THIS old broad would rather be cruising OUT of San Juan!):)

Hi. I just returned from San Juan. I took the A5 bus from Isla Verde into OSJ. The bus stop is across the street from Walgreens/Denny's in the Isla Verde mall. It costs 75 cents, it will take 30-40 minutes to get from there to the bus station in OSJ. That is the end of its loop run. Get off the bus at the station, and you are right across the street from the pier. I got off there, spent the day sightseeing, and got back on the bus at the station, back to Isla verde.:)

Just one more thing to remember is if its a school day make sure your ride back does'nt coinside with the end of the school day:eek:.No real problems and the teenagers were well behaved-it just makes your trip back longer.

We just returned from a week in San Juan. We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Isla Verda. With the exception of a rental car from Charlie Rental Car Co. to go to Fajardo, we used the public transportation systems......Would highly recommend Charlie Car Rental as they were very accommodating and the car for a day was only $19. And they delivered us back to our hotel at 1:00 A.M. when we turned in the car.

We used the A5 bus - about one block from the ES - on Isla Verda Avenue - in front of El San Juan Hotel. Took about 45 minutes to get to Old San Juan - lots of stops - but so interesting.

NOTE FOR SENIORS: THE PRICE TO RIDE THESE PUBLIC BUSES IS $0.35! On our first trip to OSJ, a local was in front of us as we boarded the bus and pointed out to us that if we were seniors (so diplomatic of him!)- it was $0.35! Folks were so helpful on this trip.

Bus 53 can also be taken - it is a much better route that goes thru a, perhaps a good term would be better part of San Juan - Condodo district. Very nice.

(However, on our very last day the bus driver on #53 would not let us travel for $0.35 - he was nasty about it, too....He just kept saying that all the other drivers were not happy with their jobs - and he was the driver and we would pay $0.75! HE OBVIOUSLY WAS NOT HAPPY WITH HIS JOB!)

Both bus route terminate at the central bus station right on the water front down town OSJ. When we exited the bus, we were right at Route #1 of the free trolley - right across from the piers. There are 3 free trolleys....we got on all three and road them all the way back to the first stop - just to get a handle on where we wanted to get off the next time. The enclosed trolleys (2 routes - basically same) do go thru the narrow streets of OSJ - one upper route and one lower (or city hall) route, I think - but were much the same to me. The "open" trolley (sometimes 2 linked together) goes up to El Morro - and DRIVES RIGHT UP TO THE DOORS! While the "enclosed trolleys" stop in front of the Fort - not a big deal however, the open trolley saves a lot of walking to get to the door of the fort!

When finished discovering OSJ, take any of the 3 free trolleys back to stop 1 or 2 (across from the piers) and you are right at the bus terminal - go inside, sit down and wait for your bus - #5 or #53!

WE ARE TWO SENIOR LADIES EXPERIENCING OUR FIRST "GIRLS' ONLY VACATION" - if we can do it anyone can do it. What a great time we had!

Few questions- Where is Charlie's Car Rental, did you reserve prior to leaving on vacation, was it difficult to get to Fajardo, how did you get to the rental company? Now public buses #53 how long did that take?

We'll be staying at ES for 3 days as of 3/18, I read that they have a shuttle bus to/from the airport is this the case? We stayed there 3 years ago and there was not a shuttle.

Thanks Lisa

When you walk out of ES, walk straight ahead to Isla Verda Ave. Turn left. Located about 1/2 block. Can't miss it. We did reserve a car in advance - and I took a copy of my auto insurance declaration page - just in case. Just loved that they are open 24/7 and we were able to return the car late in the night (morning!) and be transported the block or two back to ES.

The drive to Fajardo was perfectly mapped out in instructions I recieved from East Island Excursions. Linda (think that was her name) asked when I made the reservation by phone if I needed driving instructions and she had them over to me via e-mail within 5 minutes. Only problem was that my "co-pilot" could not navigate the instructions in reverse! Not Linda's fault. If at all possible, do the Bio Bay excursion: it was simply amazing to be able to enter the water in the bay at night and swim with the lights.

To my knowledge, ES does not provide transportation from a/p to their hotel. I know they didn't when we were there pre-cruise - so I didn't bother asking this time. Don't know if ES had their place on the beach when you were last there - but I asked about chairs that we could take to the beach down the street from the hotel - they said that we could have chairs - but they now have an area of the beach marked with the ES flag - and they have a person there who will set up chairs, umbrellas and towels for you - at no charge. It was GREAT - he asked where we would like to "land" and the proceeded to set up loungers and an umbrella for us - then returned with nice beach towels for us. I know I'll be staying at ES this coming December prior to our Southern Caribbean cruise. They are doing things right.

Bus #53 is a "nicer" route - whereas A5 goes thru some questionable areas. We met very nice locals on both buses and learned a lot from them about things to see and do. Would be okay taking either bus again.

We just returned from a week in San Juan. We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Isla Verda. With the exception of a rental car from Charlie Rental Car Co. to go to Fajardo, we used the public transportation systems......Would highly recommend Charlie Car Rental as they were very accommodating and the car for a day was only $19. And they delivered us back to our hotel at 1:00 A.M. when we turned in the car.

We used the A5 bus - about one block from the ES - on Isla Verda Avenue - in front of El San Juan Hotel. Took about 45 minutes to get to Old San Juan - lots of stops - but so interesting.

NOTE FOR SENIORS: THE PRICE TO RIDE THESE PUBLIC BUSES IS $0.35! On our first trip to OSJ, a local was in front of us as we boarded the bus and pointed out to us that if we were seniors (so diplomatic of him!)- it was $0.35! Folks were so helpful on this trip.

Bus 53 can also be taken - it is a much better route that goes thru a, perhaps a good term would be better part of San Juan - Condodo district. Very nice.

(However, on our very last day the bus driver on #53 would not let us travel for $0.35 - he was nasty about it, too....He just kept saying that all the other drivers were not happy with their jobs - and he was the driver and we would pay $0.75! HE OBVIOUSLY WAS NOT HAPPY WITH HIS JOB!)

Both bus route terminate at the central bus station right on the water front down town OSJ. When we exited the bus, we were right at Route #1 of the free trolley - right across from the piers. There are 3 free trolleys....we got on all three and road them all the way back to the first stop - just to get a handle on where we wanted to get off the next time. The enclosed trolleys (2 routes - basically same) do go thru the narrow streets of OSJ - one upper route and one lower (or city hall) route, I think - but were much the same to me. The "open" trolley (sometimes 2 linked together) goes up to El Morro - and DRIVES RIGHT UP TO THE DOORS! While the "enclosed trolleys" stop in front of the Fort - not a big deal however, the open trolley saves a lot of walking to get to the door of the fort!

When finished discovering OSJ, take any of the 3 free trolleys back to stop 1 or 2 (across from the piers) and you are right at the bus terminal - go inside, sit down and wait for your bus - #5 or #53!

WE ARE TWO SENIOR LADIES EXPERIENCING OUR FIRST "GIRLS' ONLY VACATION" - if we can do it anyone can do it. What a great time we had!

PLEAS EPLEASE PLEASE tell me how you got $19 from Charlies cars? I looked online and ntohing under 40 bucks! :( we only need one day

Thanks for the info. Great to know that they now have an area on the beach, I'm so excited to be returning to San Juan after a 3 year absence!!! How long was the #53 bus ride?:confused:

So that's why you were so late getting that car back, told DH that you Girls Only Vacation were out partying late!!!:) I read about that excursion, at what time was it?

Lisa

:mad::mad: Chasm4u: before replying to your plea I went into the web site for Charlie - and was surprised to see that the "compact" car that friend and I rented for one day for $19 now would cost us $29! Guess we were fortunate....I know that several on this site mentioned that they also rented cars from Charlie for about $19/day - that's why I sent there. There is a car rental agency right across from ES....but I can't remember what it was (national agency).

fillmore: it made for an interesting ride back to SJ! It was unnerving to say the least getting out of the car at fast food restaurants to ask directions - only to be told "no English"....but when we finally spoke to a gal with a car full of children at a gas station, she very easily told us how to get back to SJ while a couple cars also refueling (guys) also said "no English"! It was pretty expensive since we passed thru the same toll booths several times - and the attendents tried to give us directions - but would not allow us to turn around! And another thing: the road signage was in Spanish. I'm surprised how little English is spoken by folks in a US territory....and really surprised at the lack of English translations on the roadways - now I understand and can appreciate the main land US doing most everything in English and Spanish

We arrived at the marina for the Bio Bay excursion about 4:00. Were told to be there no later than 4:30. The marina was very nice - and was gated. By the time they took our dinner orders and ran our charge cards, we were probably on the high speed catamaran by 5:15. It was a 45 minutes ride over to Vieques - fun all the way - great crew. We were taken by vans to their restaurant for dinner - then to the Bay. I believe in their ads they indicate that if they pick you up from your hotel ($21 more pp), you'll be back by 11:00 or 11:30 P. (think they said the drive to Farjdo is about 45 min....hard for me gage since we also drove around the Rain Forrest and stopped at the beach). This was a GREAT excursion and one that will probably eventually be "disallowed" for eco reasons - swimming in the Bay.

The 53 bus was probably about 40 min. or so - depending on the number of stops - it just went thru a better area, IMHO.

Archived