What is there for a middle age alcoholic to do in Nassau?????

I8MADCOW

I'll be in Nassau in 6 May 2011 and was looking for some advice on what to do. Atlantis sounds fun and the Straw Market might be good for a quick walk through. The Hilton is close and would be a nice way to enjoy the beach. But has anyone ever just gone into town and explored? Was it fun? Is it worth doing? Any neat architecture? Should I rent a car (my wife will drive by the way) or just get in a taxi? Is there a district of local shops and restaurants? I've tried Googling things to do but all I get is page after page of typical tourist activates. The beach is great but I like to be in a crowd, look at old buildings, hang out in local taverns and just experience the culture. I'm new to all this so I'm not sure of the etiquette. Please be gentle in your reply.

We were in Nassau in November (and will be there at the end of the month again). We just walked around town and did the Frommer's self-guided walking tour. A local gave us a little narrative for a tip at the Queen's Staircase, one of the stops on the tour. On the way back to the boat we stopped at a sidewalk bar and had a daquiri. This month I think we will go to the Ardastra zoo, which we did not get to last time.

We enjoyed walking around the town- we walked to and went to the Pirate Museum ($12) and then walked to Ardastra gardens ($15)- it was a nice zoo for a small island. They have mostly birds and reptiles, as you would expect, but they have a few mammals (jaguars were the highlight). I was happy they didn't have too many, as I imagine the care standards are low... the sign near the jaguars said in general anytime a foreign species is found on the island they go to the zoo- so that's probably how they (and the ocelot) got there. We had TONS of fun feeding the Lorries (you fed them apples instead of little things of nectar, so it was better than most USA zoos). There is also a cheap snack bar there.

On the way home we just walked along Junkanoo beach, and I wish we had stopped for some beach snacks.

We skipped the straw market, but it would be easy to walk into if you're into shopping.

I wish we had time for Fort Charlotte, but it was a short day.

The walk was a bit difficult for one of our group members, who has a bad ankle, but we estimated that it was less than 2 miles to the zoo. We walked very slow, and it took us just under an hour to get back to the ship.

We were in Nassau in November (and will be there at the end of the month again). We just walked around town and did the Frommer's self-guided walking tour. A local gave us a little narrative for a tip at the Queen's Staircase, one of the stops on the tour. On the way back to the boat we stopped at a sidewalk bar and had a daquiri. This month I think we will go to the Ardastra zoo, which we did not get to last time.

We did the same as you last weekend with a little more. Started with a carriage ride , walked back to queens staircase then to that bar on the main drag that was on the second floor. $5 beers , I wasn't impressed.

Did the zoo one other cruise, not a whole lot for the money but fun, mildly interesting and something to do.

Did the straw market and Senor Frogs last time.

One other time we rode the jittney bus $ 1.25 to the Sheraton or the one next to it. Paid to sit on the beach and have a drink or two. Once again , fun , something to do.

The time we did the zoo we walked about 4 blocks to the Fish Fry. Bunch of rough looking places where you can have something to eat and drink.

Ok, after righting a book my suggestion for the first time in Nassua is to do the free walking tour. Have a drink, have fun.

Archived