Is it just the Emerald....or is it happening fleet-wide?

mmyorkston

We have been on 5 Princess ships - Island, Sea, Crown, Star and Coral and each time an inter denominational service has been offered on the Sundays, normally led by the Captain. On the Star there was a Catholic priest and he said Mass on the Saturday evenings in the theatre. We recently sailed with Cunard and there was daily Mass at 09.00am - apparently they always have a Catholic priest onboard. This one was on the World Cruise on the Queen Elizabeth (we only went Southampton to New York). There was also an inter denominational service on the Sunday.

Last April on the Sapphire there was a Bible study listed in the Patter, I went and about a dozen people showed up, however, there was no leader. In June on the same ship the CD delivered a really fine "inter-denominational" service, but was more alligned w/ non-denominational beliefs.

Catholic clergy will perform both Catholic and Protestant services when onboard.

:confused: Apparently Princess thinks the two are interchangeable. I'm wondering how that would work - have a short sermon/message first, then kick out the Protestants who don't observe Mass?

Talked about this with our priest friend onboard. The two services are completely separate. He related that what is done for the Inter-denominational service is to read several passages from scripture (those common to all denominations) and to have a short sermon and/or message (e.g. how blessed we are with the beauty of nature around us).

Catholic priests are well versed in other Christian religions as this is part of their seminary training. Using this knowledge they are able to serve the needs of all Christians without imposing specific Catholic teachings/dogma on them - and that is also a requirement by Princess Cruises for the Interdenominational service !

How might one offer in advance of a cruise to lead a religious service while on board? I'm Anglican clergy and will be cruising Alaska on the Coral in July. We board Saturday, at sea in Sunday. I'd be glad to serve, but would prefer to know in advance if I'm needed so I can prepare appropriately.

How might one offer in advance of a cruise to lead a religious service while on board? I'm Anglican clergy and will be cruising Alaska on the Coral in July. We board Saturday, at sea in Sunday. I'd be glad to serve, but would prefer to know in advance if I'm needed so I can prepare appropriately.

Revend,

Call ship services. If I recall when we were on Ruby two year ago, traveling with a priest friend, we contacted shp's services for that ship. They were able to set it up. Our last cruise on Princess 11/10 our frien did not set it up before hand and the CD was not very open to it. He did get in a Sunday mass (with the CD) help. He had close to 200 people come. But father wanted to do mass every day and the CD didn't care to help set it up.

Maria

Archived