Oops! Passport AND Photo ID??

alymb03

I just read this one the Carnival website:

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

• Valid U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over.

My friend was planning on using his passport, he does not have a Driver's License or his birth certificate. I thought the passport would suffice but now that I see it says one thing off the list AND a government issued photo ID, I'm confused. Does a passport not count for both?

I just read this one the Carnival website:

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

• Valid U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over.

My friend was planning on using his passport, he does not have a Driver's License or his birth certificate. I thought the passport would suffice but now that I see it says one thing off the list AND a government issued photo ID, I'm confused. Does a passport not count for both?

Yes. A passport is all you need. You only need the additional photo ID if you're using a birth certificate

Yes. A passport is all you need. You only need the additional photo ID if you're using a birth certificate

Ok thank you! I was assuming that a photo id would only be needed if the proof of citizenship didn't have a photo, but the way it was worded on the site kind of freaked me out! I was just imagining being turned away at the port! Lol *phew*

Ok thank you! I was assuming that a photo id would only be needed if the proof of citizenship didn't have a photo, but the way it was worded on the site kind of freaked me out! I was just imagining being turned away at the port! Lol *phew*

Well, your passport should have what country it was issued from on the front and it should have the picture on the inside :)

Well, your passport should have what country it was issued from on the front and it should have the picture on the inside :)

Yes, but I was having a problem with the WORDING, not the concept. Thanks.

While I agree he will only need the passport, your friend could get a State ID even if he doesn't have a driver's license.

I'm not saying he needs it. But I wanted to alert you to the possibility of getting the State ID if he would feel more comfortable having a government issued ID. It may also come in handy for other things.

Maggie

I agree with you about the wording. :(

He will have to take the passport off at the ports too so that he can get back on. The ports are all comparing the picture ID to the Sign and Sail card.

Really? Since when?

This makes no sense - to get back on the ship, Carnival just plugs the s&s into the little reader machine and compare it to the face that's on the person standing in front of them.... that's enough for Carnival to let you back on. Are you saying that the ports are doing this when passengers disembark? I just don't believe it - a waste of time, antagonizes passengers, and takes away from passengers' time to spend $ in port.

They might do this in Europe, but I've never seen anything like it in the Bahamas/Caribbean - I stopped taking my passport with me on port calls years ago.

He will have to take the passport off at the ports too so that he can get back on. The ports are all comparing the picture ID to the Sign and Sail card.

Really???

Can't be it would take hours for everyone to get back on the ship. I would guess a high percentage of people still cruise without a passport.

Really???

Can't be it would take hours for everyone to get back on the ship. I would guess a high percentage of people still cruise without a passport.

They compare the NAME on the photo ID to the NAME on the S&S card.

Really???

Yes, actually they do check. They just compare the names on the ID. While I sail with a passport I just take my driver's license and leave my passport in the safe (some still prefer to take it off though in case they miss the ship). Since OP said (if I read it correctly) the only picture ID they have is a passport that is what they will have to take off.

Really? Since when?

This makes no sense - to get back on the ship, Carnival just plugs the s&s into the little reader machine and compare it to the face that's on the person standing in front of them.... that's enough for Carnival to let you back on. Are you saying that the ports are doing this when passengers disembark? I just don't believe it - a waste of time, antagonizes passengers, and takes away from passengers' time to spend $ in port.

They might do this in Europe, but I've never seen anything like it in the Bahamas/Caribbean - I stopped taking my passport with me on port calls years ago.

I have to agree with you. How can the port compare your picture to your ship card?

There is no picture on the ship card that the port people can see,

Bill

I have to agree with you. How can the port compare your picture to your ship card?

There is no picture on the ship card that the port people can see,

Bill

They compare the names. My kids almost had to go on the ship to get my photo ID in Key West once since I did not have it. The security guy let me through but he wanted to see it. And yes, in the Bahamas too.

They compare the names. My kids almost had to go on the ship to get my photo ID in Key West once since I did not have it. The security guy let me through but he wanted to see it. And yes, in the Bahamas too.

Yes the Bahamas has done that as far back as I remember. When you said you need to take your passport with you so they can compare your photo ID you made it sound like they were comparing photos.

We also take our drivers license with us.

Bill

I believe in some ports, port security wants a photo ID as well as the sign and sail card. Since this is before you reach the ship on your return, the port security have no access to the S&S reader so cannot see the picture that is embedded in that card and require another photo (eg. passport or drivers license). The S&S card just proves you are a passenger on the ship and the picture ID proves you match the name on S&S card.

Yes the Bahamas has done that as far back as I remember. When you said you need to take your passport with you so they can compare your photo ID you made it sound like they were comparing photos.

We also take our drivers license with us.

Bill

Oh, no...only one photo. We are on the same page. Sorry for confusion!

Archived