Oasis, The Chef's Table with a 3 and 6 year old.

DawnCt

I understand both sides. We have kids (11 & 2) and can see how can kids can ruin and great dinning experience as our kids have done that pleanty of times to us, but on the other hand they both can be great at dinner. But you wouldnt want to sit there and then after you start the experience you find out that the kids are yelling and screaming and all over the place. As some of other posters have said well behaved kids can make for a pleasurable expeience. Im not sure if we would take that chance of waiting to find out though. So im kind of on the fence with this one.

I cannot understand why anyone would take small kids on any cruise.It is no holiday for the little ones or Mum and Dad, and as this post shows folks will be unhappy with children in certain venues.

Take the little darlings to Disneyland or let Granma and Grampa spoil them for a week.Thats what my family does.

Keep in mind not all of us have that option. I have 2 kids (age 5 and 2) and we've gone to Disney 4 times with them. I'm ready for a vacation that doesn't revolve around cartoon characters.

Sending them to the grandparents would be a lovely solution but neither set is willing. We've had TWO evenings away from the girls in the last 5 years and one of them was when I was giving birth to our 2nd child.

A little empathy for those parents who have no choice but to bring their kids if they want to cruise. While I wouldn't dream of bringing them to the Chef's table or Portofino, they will be joining us on the ship. Ideal? No. Our only option? Yes.

Okay, first of all, being well behaved has nothing to do with having a child at an adult specified activity. A pet can be well behaved but I would not want a pet at Chef's Table either. ;)

Secondly, one does not have to hate children or not understand the joy of children to not want children at an adult activity. In fact, one can dearly love children and still not want them an an adult activity. :)

When RCI advertises and presents an activity as an adult venue then they have the obligation to provide just that to their guests. Period. If RCI is concerned about being family friendly they can either advertise the activity as available to everyone. Or if they do not want to lose the income from those that want an adult dinner, then they could easily designate one night of a 7 night cruise as "family night".

In any case, having a policy and then not adhering to it is just going to make for dissatisfied guests....... :(

Rules which many have now become suggestions seem to never be in-forced on RCI ships. What's new?

Having adults at the table doesn't guarantee a pleasant experience.

What I found on the RCI site under the class ship Radiance

Chef's Table

Experience our most intimate and decadent onboard dining at Chef's Table. In this exclusive space, 14 guests will enjoy a specially-prepared menu of gourmet selections, chosen by the evening’s featured chef, who will personally present each course. Before the wine-paired meal, guests have the opportunity to meet and mingle at a cocktail party.

Edited by land lover

Nothing wrong with this...however the cruise line would have every right to still charge you.

I totally disagree. If you leave when the children arrive then the cruise line would not have the right to charge you. You bought an advertised product - an adult dinner. RCI did not provide that product. Period. They are the ones not keeping their end of the deal.....

I totally disagree. If you leave when the children arrive then the cruise line would not have the right to charge you. You bought an advertised product - an adult dinner. RCI did not provide that product. Period. They are the ones not keeping their end of the deal.....

How is it advertised as an adult dinner?! Do you see that anywhere in this description?

Chef's Table

Experience our most intimate and decadent onboard dining at Chef's Table. In this exclusive space, 14 guests will enjoy a specially-prepared menu of gourmet selections, chosen by the evening’s featured chef, who will personally present each course. Before the wine-paired meal, guests have the opportunity to meet and mingle at a cocktail party.

I totally agree with T.W. on this one. The OP just got lucky but still had every right to get their money back, well behaved children or not.

Aubie

To whome ever mentioned they did not want to be seated at a table in the MDR with a childe because they would have to curtail the subject matter of thier conversation. What in the world do you discuss at dinner with a table full of strangers that can't be discussed with in the ear shot of a child. Most conversations I have that are not fit for children are not fit with anyone but close friends and family if them. I would ask for a change in subject with children present or not...

Edited by G&TQ

Since neither of us have had this experience we really do not know what the cruise line would do.

And as you can see from my last post at least on Radiance they do not advertize it as adult only. Also without drinks the charge is only $60. so they are catering to all.

Rules which many have now become suggestions seem to never be in-forced on RCI ships. What's new?

Having adults at the table doesn't guarantee a pleasant experience.

What I found on the RCI site under the class ship Radiance

Chef's Table

Totally agree. But what does that have to do with RCI allowing children in a venue that is designated as adult?

How is it advertised as an adult dinner?! Do you see that anywhere in this description?

Chef's Table

As to advertised as adult venue, RCI web site states that Specialty Dining is for over 14 after a certain time. And OP stated that they read age restrictions. :)

Obviously, if RCI does not state in print anywhere on-line or onboard that there are age restrictions - then this whole thread/discussion is a moot point..... :D

Edited by Tranquil Waters

To whome ever mentioned they did not want to be seated at a table in the MDR with a childe because they would have to curtail the subject matter of thier conversation. What in the world do you discuss at dinner with a table full of strangers that can't be discussed with in the ear shot of a child. Most conversations I have that are not fit for children are not fit with anyone but close friends and family if them. I would ask for a change in subject with children present or not...

At the chef's table...the main topic of discussion is the FOOD and Wine parings. Heck your mouth is full most of the time:D

Totally agree. But what does that have to do with RCI allowing children in a venue that is designated as adult?

As to advertised as adult venue, RCI web site states that Specialty Dining is for over 14 after a certain time. And OP stated that they read age restrictions. :)

Obviously, if RCI does not state in print anywhere on-line or onboard that there are age restrictions - then this whole thread/discussion is a moot point..... :D

True, but the discussion has been more interesting than being on time for my eye appt. Later

If you dont mind me asking this question on this thread, is this something that is offered on all ships?

No, it's not. Someone far more versed in RCCL than I will provide a better answer to your question.

The only place I've seen this is on the Allure, though I'm sure it's also on the Oasis. It might(?) be on Freedom Class ships, and I have not seen it on the Navigator (Voyager class).

So if I had to guess I'd say "no" on Voyager class and down, maybe on Freedom class, and yes on Oasis class.

Anyone know for sure? I don't feel like dealing with the turtle-slow website to get the answer.

I cannot understand why anyone would take small kids on any cruise.It is no holiday for the little ones or Mum and Dad, and as this post shows folks will be unhappy with children in certain venues.

Take the little darlings to Disneyland or let Granma and Grampa spoil them for a week.Thats what my family does.

Why would you say to NOT take our children. We have been on cruise without them, been to Disney. I will tell you for a fact that my most favorite cruise is the one that my son & neice joined us for. They had a blast and ask all the time when we are going again. Our family takes our children on vacation with us that is what we enjoy.

Sorry you feel differently, but children have a right to go on vacation also.

No with that said - no saying they should be allowed at the Chef table, but on a cruise forsure.

As with dining at a large table in the main dining room, I do not like children at our table. Subject matter may not be appropriate for children and I do not like to feel as though our conversation must be censored. Adults want to have adult conversations at times and this would be prohibitive with children at the table. I'm not referring to inappropriate language..just the subject matter. This is why DH and I always request My Time Dining on RCCL.

It is simply not acceptable to have children seated in The Chef's Table. This is a special dining venue which should be for adults only. I'm very disappointed in RCCL to find they are allowing children in this dining venue.

I can't imagine what I would discuss with perfect strangers that couldn't be discussed in the presence of children.

I understand both sides. We have kids (11 & 2) and can see how can kids can ruin and great dinning experience as our kids have done that pleanty of times to us, but on the other hand they both can be great at dinner. But you wouldnt want to sit there and then after you start the experience you find out that the kids are yelling and screaming and all over the place. As some of other posters have said well behaved kids can make for a pleasurable expeience. Im not sure if we would take that chance of waiting to find out though. So im kind of on the fence with this one.

If my experience had been anything but wonderful, I would have demanded a refund. When I saw the family with children en tow, arrive, I fully intended to do so and said as much to DH. As the dinner progressed, it was evident that I would have had absolutely no grounds to ask for a refund. What would I have said? There were short, cute people at my table?

Really? My grandsons have traveled since birth - we are cruising in March as a group and as a family - can't wait - however, we know where they should and shouldn't go - no chefs table for them, no specialty restaurants and no consierge lounge. They are very fortunate to be able to travel at their young age and we are very fortunate to all be together.

Gotta agree with "LovesCruising" -- DD has been travelling with us since her birth (land, sea, air, etc) and she has pretty much always enjoyed herself. Not all kids enjoy amusement parks -- DD's first visit to Disney will be next December when she with her school's band march at Disneyland as part of their trip to the Tournament of Roses parade appearance.

As long as kids are kept from venues for which they are not "age appropriate" there is no reason to exclude them from family vacations. Over the years, we've seen kids in places where they should not be, but have also seen adults in places they should not be (adults bullying their way onto the skating rink during a teen party, rude adults monopolizing venues that should be open to all ages, adults who seem to think it is 'OK' for them to skip into line in front of kids, etc)

I don't mind well-behaved guests of any age -- I do not care for poorly behaved guests.

To the OP, glad your situation turned out well. Personally, I feel that for a special meal, my dining companions are an important part of the dining experience -- and quite honestly I still would have been a bit disappointed with the inclusion of children that young at the table even though they were well behaved. It kind of dilutes the possibility of running into some fasinating dinner conversation by 1/7th, but since the "quality" of one's dining companions tends to be a bit of a crap shoot anyway . . . well a sleeping 3YO would be a better dining companion than some adults! :D

Edited by Onessa

The only reason I asked was beacuse I saw Land Lover posted something about the Radiance, so I thought I would ask. I appreciate your input Divingprincesse

Hmm, I haven't been on the class of ship Radiance is part of (will be on the Radiance this July). I don't see it in a list of the ship highlights on the RCCL website...but who knows how accurate that is.

DH and I just discussed this dilema. We agree...we would have walked out and requested our money back. Sorry.

We were on a ship with 6500 passengers. The chances of being rebooked for the Chef's Table would have been non existent. I made these reservations back in October. Had we not attended, we would have missed out on a wonderful dinner and a very interesting experience. Sort of like biting one's nose to spite one's face.

We were on a ship with 6500 passengers. The chances of being rebooked for the Chef's Table would have been non existent. I made these reservations back in October. Had we not attended, we would have missed out on a wonderful dinner and a very interesting experience. Sort of like biting one's nose to spite one's face.

If Chef's Table was that important to you then you certainly should have stayed. I certainly don't think one could eat - and then ask for a refund.

And I would not have been willing to take the chance that the kids would be well behaved. For that matter, I would not want to spend that much money for a dinner with children - period. And I would have left when they arrived. So it would not be cutting off my nose. It is all a matter of what something is worth to each individual.

I cannot understand why anyone would take small kids on any cruise.

Because both the kids and their parents enjoy it. Meanwhile there are ships that cater to adults only for those that don't want to share their cruising experience with the younger crowd.